Which headphones are best for me?

NotMrTaco
Go to solution Solved by Fennrarr,

Honestly, go with the HD 6xx. Having heard both the K712 and the HD 650, the Sennheisers generally just sound much better. The AKG house sound trends too much towards the high end, being extremely analytical and cold. The 650s- which the 6xx are essentially a clone of- just sound better because they're warmed up around the bottom where the K712 doesn't have any presence. 

To be completely honest, the K712 might be .02% better for super sound-whoring, but generally speaking the HD 6xx will be 100x better for literally everything else. Not to belittle, but especially since you asked the question, I'm going to assume that you're on the casual side of audiophile, where the 6xx's signature with more warmth in the lows will appeal significantly more to you.

I have come to the conclusion of many questions asked and answered that my best bet of headphones is either the hd6xx hd 58x or akg k712 pro. Which would you recommend and why? I play lots of "Competitive" games. Mostly games like csgo. My budget is under $200. (I have a buddy that'll sell me some k712 pro for $200)

Honestly, go with the HD 6xx. Having heard both the K712 and the HD 650, the Sennheisers generally just sound much better. The AKG house sound trends too much towards the high end, being extremely analytical and cold. The 650s- which the 6xx are essentially a clone of- just sound better because they're warmed up around the bottom where the K712 doesn't have any presence. 

To be completely honest, the K712 might be .02% better for super sound-whoring, but generally speaking the HD 6xx will be 100x better for literally everything else. Not to belittle, but especially since you asked the question, I'm going to assume that you're on the casual side of audiophile, where the 6xx's signature with more warmth in the lows will appeal significantly more to you.

8 hours ago, Fennrarr said:

Okay I will go with the 6xx. Thank you!

9 hours ago, Fennrarr said:

Honestly, go with the HD 6xx. Having heard both the K712 and the HD 650, the Sennheisers generally just sound much better. The AKG house sound trends too much towards the high end, being extremely analytical and cold.

Neutral analytical sound is precisely what is good for gaming.

And K712 actually has above neutral bass, putting it step behind K701/K702 in competitive gaming.

Treble smoothing "music enjoyment" tuning of HD600-serie Sennheisers eats from accuracy needed for competitive gaming.