NVidia Geforce RTX 2080 confirmed up to 2x GTX 1080 performance. Evidence for 2080 ti as well.

53 minutes ago, pas008 said:

-Snip-

Just to add to this, RTX is NVIDIA's implementation of DX12 DXR. At the moment Vulkan has no standard way of doing ray tracing but NVIDIA has been working with Khronos to get ray tracing in Vulkan (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Vulkan-Ray-Tracing-NVIDIA)

So what is better for me? Waiting for 1080Ti to get its prices drop or 2080? I won't use raytracing but I wanna go 2160p/60.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

8 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

So what is better for me? Waiting for 1080Ti to get its prices drop or 2080? I won't use raytracing but I wanna go 2160p/60.

Waiting until we get independent third party benchmarks for the GeForce 20 series and making a decision based on that.

i think raytracing will make vr look better but besides that...i think im staying put

Bolivia.

Honestly I just like new tech. Bought the 1700 on release and I will buy the 2080ti on release as well. Will raytracing become a big thing? Honestly I have no clue but I am excited none the less and mainly want it for metro so I don't care much if not many games implement it. 

Added more to the OP to make it clear what the chart represents and why we need to look a little further to understand what RTX is all about.

First we have to look at what this charts actually represent by making a hybrid car analogy.

• You can compare the gas engine only vs other cars. (Cuda only - dark green bars)
  • You can compare the full hybrid, so gas + electro engine vs other cars. (Cuda + Tensor Cores - light green bars)
  • Then you can look at the pure electro power (Cuda + Tensor + RT Cores - not represented in this chart at all)

So the first takeaway here is:

You can't easily compare them and be fair to everyone at the same time. If we want a 100% apples to apples comparison, we are out of luck.

Instead, we need all three metrics to make an informed decision if this new GPU Lineup is worth our time and money.

19 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

Added more to the OP to make it clear what the chart represents and why we need to look a little further to understand what RTX is all about.

Another thing to add in consideration of all this is that from the best that I can figure nVidia basically added between 15 & 20% more CUDA cores across all of the cards (At least based on the specs I saw on Anandtech)...

1080Ti (3584 CUDA) -> 2080Ti (4352 CUDA) ~ 21% increase

1080 (2566 CUDA) -> 2080 (2944 CUDA) ~ 15% increase

1070 (1920 CUDA) -> 2070 (2304 CUDA) ~ 20% increase

We also don't know what clocks each of the Cards were running at (were they at stock configs, similar clocks, etc.) and/or how much performance gain is from switching to 12 nm from 16 nm process.  

On 8/22/2018 at 7:11 PM, Rattenmann said:

A 20% Overclocked 2080 TI would reach about 60500 3dmark scores and be a 331% Improvement over 1070 (see the sheet for details and premises).

Which version/test of 3DMark are you using? There's quite a few. Also are you comparing the overall or GPU score?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i'll drop £1500 on a 2080ti if it can actually run 144hz 1440p without throttling to 99%...

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Why are people so confused about this?  we have 3 new products on offer that are significantly larger with new features and people are complaining because they cost more?  Do people really expect new products to be released at the RRP of less featured products from 2 years ago?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Why are people so confused about this?  we have 3 new products on offer that are significantly larger with new features and people are complaining because they cost more?  Do people really expect new products to be released at the RRP of less featured products from 2 years ago?

I don't think people expect that. The complaints seem mostly to do with the fact prices have been significantly inflated since the last time round. 

1 minute ago, Morgan Everett said:

I don't think people expect that. The complaints seem mostly to do with the fact prices have been significantly inflated since the last time round. 

The issues is this time around they increased the die size significantly. Likely why the cost increased. I would suspect the 7nm version will be more affordable if yields are good. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

The issues is this time around they increased the die size significantly. Likely why the cost increased. I would suspect the 7nm version will be more affordable if yields are good. 

Sure, I understand the reasons. But that doesn't mean people are ever going to be happy with 40% increases!

3 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

But  it is exactly what people are doing, they are pointing back to the 900 series, the 700 series and even a 8800gtx in this thread.  If they fail to account for the actual differences and only complain about the price then they do expect it to be thee same.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

But  it is exactly what people are doing, they are pointing back to the 900 series, the 700 series and even a 8800gtx in this thread.  If they fail to account for the actual differences and only complain about the price then they do expect it to be thee same.

I mean in general. I don't suggest there's no one who's complaining unreasonably. This is the internet, after all. 

Just now, Morgan Everett said:

Sure, I understand the reasons. But that doesn't mean people are ever going to be happy with 40% increases!

Yeah I get that but everyone is just complaining saying nvidia is being greedy and they are just jacking up the prices because they can without realizing there is a reason why. I mean the fact that they are selling a 754mm die gpu for 1000 dollars is kinda a good deal. 

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yeah I think few people went far enough to look at the differences between the 2080ti and all the previous flagships and realize the 2080ti is simply put a much more expensive gpu to create. 

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah I get that but everyone is just complaining saying nvidia is being greedy and they are just jacking up the prices because they can without realizing there is a reason why. I mean the fact that they are selling a 754mm die gpu for 1000 dollars is kinda a good deal. 

I'd say there are multiple reasons why. Partly it's the increased die sizes; partly it's the lack of competition from, well, anyone. 

As for whether the 2080 Ti is a "good deal", that depends largely on its price to performance ratio, which is currently unknown. 

Just now, Morgan Everett said:

I'd say there are multiple reasons why. Partly it's the increased die sizes; partly it's the lack of competition from, well, anyone. 

As for whether the 1080 Ti is a "good deal", that depends largely on its price to performance ratio, which is currently unknown. 

2080ti*

8 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

I mean in general. I don't suggest there's no one who's complaining unreasonably. This is the internet, after all. 

Hence my question, why are people expecting it to be cheaper or the same price when there is already a clear difference between this new one and the old one?  Even before we get to actual performance figures there are notable differences. 

Yet people are still making claims that Nvidia "don't understand the market" or "are confused" or "are greedy" etc etc.   These people literally expect the 4x4 model of an SUV to be the same price as the 2 year old 2X4 model.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Hence my question, why are people expecting it to be cheaper or the same price when there is already a clear difference between this new one and the old one?  Even before we get to actual performance figures there are notable differences. 

Yet people are still making claims that Nvidia "don't understand the market" or "are confused" or "are greedy" etc etc.   These people literally expect the 4x4 model of an SUV to be the same price as the 2 year old 2X4 model.

It would be one thing if the new gpus were just shrinked Pascal with similar die size and ddr6 and they increased the prices by this margin. But that isn't the case here. They added a ton of new hardware to allow for raytracing and added more cuda cores making the die size significantly larger. If people expected that to cost the same prices as last gen then they don't get how business works. If the cost to produce goes up the price of the product does as well. 

57 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Which version/test of 3DMark are you using? There's quite a few. Also are you comparing the overall or GPU score?

Calculation was made with the Score listed as Highscore on their webpage. I don't have a 1080ti myself.

The 45fps figure came from Reddit users that claimed to have balls to the wall OCed 1080ti and got 45-47fps. All the other values were extrapolated from that.

Far from any kind of proof, or even save to assume, but the best we had before the chart was available.

Included it anyways, since the chart is about 2080s and the jump in hardware specs from 80 to 80 ti is pretty big this generation. So I kind of expect a bigger gap than we usually see. More in line with the also bigger price gap obviously.

To be 100% clear here: This is nothing official, or even scientifically accurate. It is just an extrapolation from what we saw, Jenson said and what people with a 1080ti claim to reach.

After i did this calculation the press noted a 85fps figure, which is 7fps higher than what Jenson claimed. So with those numbers, the estimation would be even higher.

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

This is the reason I updated the OP with my analogy of the hybrid car.

We have to look at the full picture here and can't blindly compare it 1:1, as it clearly is far more than just a better version. It is something new.

I am quite certain that is also why they talked about RT and the Cores behind it so much. Like over an hour? Well, because it really is something new and kinda amazing. I get that a pure gamer may not care (right away), but the inner nerd in me is screaming whenever I read someone demanding a flat out 1:1 comparison, ignoring all the new goodness.

Why can't they just run the benchmarks with a bunch or randomly-selected, commonly-played games of the current lustrum (5 year span), on a stage - in front of a public audience? With stock settings and no smoke-and-mirrors? I'd actually pay to go to an event where they did this and had 3rd-party FPS counters rolling. Especially if they allowed for demos and the rest...

jk - already exists