Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
weq

Reddit turns political in regards with censorship

SansVarnic

This topic has a possible tendency to turn political.

Any and all attempts to derail, bait or otherwise stay on topic, those comments and replies will be removed with warnings issued.

Thank-you.

Message added by SansVarnic

Posted · Original PosterOP

This has me sorta annoyed. I'm not a big user of reddit but this really shows how low they've gone now and how political they have turned. This frightens me in regards with the traction social media has and it's importance to be an open platform. Like reddit took forever to ban subreddits that promoted jailbait and similar topics but why they decided to censor this I have no idea what so ever for. Is reddit now another crap-platform? What do you thought?

I'm not interested in discussing what the news article is about but rather the methods reddit has started to use.

Source: http://snew.github.io/r/news/comments/98u3l6/south_africa_begins_seizing_whiteowned_farms/

Huh. 

I wouldn't place the blame on reddit though, just the sub mods

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Yeah, I saw the comments on the articles relating to that on the news-related subreddits. I don't understand WHY they're censoring it, but I don't like it.

Avid Team Fortress 2 player || @handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :^)

Main rig:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, stock | CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8G V1 | PSU: EVGA G3 550 | RAM: Patriot Viper 8GB DDR4 @2400MHz | Motherboard: ASRock AB350M | Case: Cooler Master N200 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB SATA | HDD1: 750GB HGST 2.5" @ 5400rpm | HDD2: 2TB WD Blue 2.5" @ 5400rpm | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K65, Corsair Sabre RGB and Sony MDR-7506

Specs for secondary rig coming soon!

Just now, Ginger_ said:

Huh. 

Except reddit censored a ton of subreddits a bit ago

PC Specs: i7 6EiGht00K (4.4ghz), Asus DeLuxe X99A II, GTX1080 Zotac Amp ExTrEme),64Gb DOminator PlatinUm, EVGA G2 seven5zeroWatt, Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3TB WD Black, 500gb 850 Evo, H100iGTX, Windows 10, K70 RGB, G502, HyperX Cloud 2s, Asus MX34. SAMSUNG 960 EVO

Just keeping this here as a backup 980tiZotacStockBIOS.zip☻♥■∞{╚§XÅD{┘Æ╩mYÄÜXτ╕○\╚Θº£¥ΘBM@Q05♠{{↨↨▬§¶‼↕◄►☼1♦  wumbo

15 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

Huh. 

World News and News are default subs. Reddit's Admin's absolute refusal to reign in the moderators of these subs from being Leftist echo chambers is absolutely on them. This is just the most recent conversation control that the sub reddits have done.

Main Gaming PC - i7 5820K @ 4.5GHz 1.25V - EVGA Hybrid 1070ti 2100Mhz Boost 8Ghz Mem.- MSI X99 SLI Krait - Corsair H115i - GSkill Ripjaws V 3000MHz - HX850i - Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 512GB - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Phanteks P400S

Laptop - HP Spectre x360 15t -  i7 8705G - Vega M GL - 16GB DDR4 - 512GB NVME - Windows 10

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Yeah its pretty much impossible to have an honest constructive conversation about any of these topics anymore on the net let alone in real life because if somebody, somewhere, could be potentially offended or look for reasons to get offended then the default is to shut it all down.

While its not exactly the subject I would rush to in business, work, or casual conversation that trend is generally very disheartening and concerning.

Just your everyday Anime Weeb Time Traveling Mad Scientist Collector

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X | GPU:  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 | RAM:  32GB G Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 | PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ 80+Gold | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5| Cooler:  Noctua NH-D15 |Case:  NZXT Noctis 450 (White) | Storage: 512GB Samsung SSD + 4TB Western Digital 7200RPM|

Reddits Admin layer is rather heavily compromised. Cash, threats and a few NSL letters later, and you can expect Reddit to tow the exact same political/ideological line as the rest of Silicon Valley. Descent from that line will be crushed, but they can't be too obvious about it.

Minus LinkedIn removing people that other websites removed in obvious group collusion activities. 

Fuck he was even banned for posting the article. 

Wow. 
I remember seeing this. The mods locked it within 5 comments, opened it up later, then locked it again. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

A bit misleading when it's moderators of a subreddit who are presumably unaffiliated with the company.

Reddit shouldn't interfere with subreddits unless it's against the ToS.

If something becomes corrupt, then start a new subreddit and moderate it more fairly. Granted, very few want to do that and it probably already exists.

There's also the argument that it's the default subreddits for new users therefore it's sanctioned. Basically the defaults are the most popular and contain a broad range to familiarize you with the site. Just unsubscribe. I'd prefer it if Reddit helped you by suggesting subreddits instead but that's a bit off topic.

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

@weq your topic has been moved as it does not meet the guidelines for a news post.

Please make the appropriate changes and it will be moved back.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.

~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates. Broke :(

Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I don't use Reddit and don't know how it works. Don't people or companies just start their own little forums with their own moderators? I'd assume the actual Reddit people only get involved if somethings breaking the law like... I don't know kidnappers anonymous.

In any case, maybe this touches on politics but I'm assuming the mods removed it and banned people because it touches on racism. But the bad kind.

@TopHatProductions115 Reddit strikes again, eh?

DIOCLETIAN III : CPU: Core i7-8700K @5.0GhZ || CPU COOLER : BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 || MOBO : ASUS STRIX Z370-E || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC || RAM: 2x8GB GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync || SSDs: 970 EVO 250GB (Boot), 850 EVO 1TB, MX500 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x & Corsair Premium cables || Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG RGB SE|| Monitor: Samsung 28" 4K60HZ ||  KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Browns) || Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero with deskpad || Audio: SteelSeries Arctis 5, Blue Snowball iCE || Case Fans : 2x Phanteks 140MM Halos RGB, 1x BeQuiet! SilentWings 3 140mm ||

MAXIMIAN II  : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9GhZ || CPU COOLER : Cooler Master ML240L w/ Corsair SP120 || MOBO : MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon|| GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis (2666) || SSD: TeamGroup L5 Lite 3D 240GB || HDD: Barracuda 2TB || PSU: SeaSonic Focus+ Gold 650W w/ Cablemod Basics extensions || CASE: Phanteks P300 Black || Monitor: ACER KG1 1440p 144HZ || KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow X Chroma TE  || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Audio: HyperX Cloud II || Case Fans : 3x Corsair SP120 Blue LED||

LAPTOP - Dell XPS 15 9570: CPU: Core i7-8750H || GPU: GTX 1050 Ti 4GB || RAM: 2*8GB SODIMM || SSD: 512GB M.2 SSD || CASE: 15.6" Laptop with dBrand skin || Monitor: 15" 3840x2160 Touchscreen ||  KEYBOARD: Laptop keyboard  || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Audio: Usually HyperX Cloud II, but sometimes Arctis 5 or something else

G5 WORKSTATION (Coming SoonTM) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.9GhZ || CPU COOLER : Corsair H115i PRO || MOBO : ASUS STRIX B350-F || GPU: XFX R9 390X Crossfire because why not || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis (2666) || SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || CASE: PowerMac G5 (with window!) || Monitor: 3x 1080p 24" || KEYBOARD: Redragon K552R || Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 310 || Audio: Corsair HS50 || Case Fans : 2x Corsair ML140, 2x Noctua NF-B9 Redux

MARCUS AURELIUS II (HTPC) : CPU: i7-2600K || CPU COOLER : ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports ONE || MOBO : ASUS P8Z77I Deluxe || GPU: XFX RX 580 || RAM: 2x8GB Generic DDR3-1600 || SSD: 240GB Inland || HDD: WD Blue 1TB || PSU: Corsair TX550M || CASE: Metallic Gear NEO Mini || Monitor: LG 65SK8000PUA 65" 4K TV || KEYBOARD: Corsair K63 Wireless || Mouse: Logitech G603 || Audio: Bose Solo 5 Sound Bar || Case Fans : 1x Noctua P14S, 1x S340 Elite case fan

Mobile: Galaxy S7, Honor 7X || Kindle Fire 10" & 7" - Running Android 6.0 ||

Forum salt merchant so granted by @dizmo, Grand Deacon of the Glorious Brethren and Guardians of the Most High Overlords Asus and Arctic Cooling. All hail thy lord and savior the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE

1 minute ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

I own a sub reddit. Perhaps I can alleviate the issue myself...

Wait you what?

DIOCLETIAN III : CPU: Core i7-8700K @5.0GhZ || CPU COOLER : BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 || MOBO : ASUS STRIX Z370-E || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC || RAM: 2x8GB GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync || SSDs: 970 EVO 250GB (Boot), 850 EVO 1TB, MX500 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x & Corsair Premium cables || Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG RGB SE|| Monitor: Samsung 28" 4K60HZ ||  KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Browns) || Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero with deskpad || Audio: SteelSeries Arctis 5, Blue Snowball iCE || Case Fans : 2x Phanteks 140MM Halos RGB, 1x BeQuiet! SilentWings 3 140mm ||

MAXIMIAN II  : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9GhZ || CPU COOLER : Cooler Master ML240L w/ Corsair SP120 || MOBO : MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon|| GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis (2666) || SSD: TeamGroup L5 Lite 3D 240GB || HDD: Barracuda 2TB || PSU: SeaSonic Focus+ Gold 650W w/ Cablemod Basics extensions || CASE: Phanteks P300 Black || Monitor: ACER KG1 1440p 144HZ || KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow X Chroma TE  || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Audio: HyperX Cloud II || Case Fans : 3x Corsair SP120 Blue LED||

LAPTOP - Dell XPS 15 9570: CPU: Core i7-8750H || GPU: GTX 1050 Ti 4GB || RAM: 2*8GB SODIMM || SSD: 512GB M.2 SSD || CASE: 15.6" Laptop with dBrand skin || Monitor: 15" 3840x2160 Touchscreen ||  KEYBOARD: Laptop keyboard  || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Audio: Usually HyperX Cloud II, but sometimes Arctis 5 or something else

G5 WORKSTATION (Coming SoonTM) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.9GhZ || CPU COOLER : Corsair H115i PRO || MOBO : ASUS STRIX B350-F || GPU: XFX R9 390X Crossfire because why not || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis (2666) || SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || CASE: PowerMac G5 (with window!) || Monitor: 3x 1080p 24" || KEYBOARD: Redragon K552R || Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 310 || Audio: Corsair HS50 || Case Fans : 2x Corsair ML140, 2x Noctua NF-B9 Redux

MARCUS AURELIUS II (HTPC) : CPU: i7-2600K || CPU COOLER : ARCTIC Freezer 33 eSports ONE || MOBO : ASUS P8Z77I Deluxe || GPU: XFX RX 580 || RAM: 2x8GB Generic DDR3-1600 || SSD: 240GB Inland || HDD: WD Blue 1TB || PSU: Corsair TX550M || CASE: Metallic Gear NEO Mini || Monitor: LG 65SK8000PUA 65" 4K TV || KEYBOARD: Corsair K63 Wireless || Mouse: Logitech G603 || Audio: Bose Solo 5 Sound Bar || Case Fans : 1x Noctua P14S, 1x S340 Elite case fan

Mobile: Galaxy S7, Honor 7X || Kindle Fire 10" & 7" - Running Android 6.0 ||

Forum salt merchant so granted by @dizmo, Grand Deacon of the Glorious Brethren and Guardians of the Most High Overlords Asus and Arctic Cooling. All hail thy lord and savior the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE

Censorship is kind of the whole point of Reddit, it's why the downvote button exists, why comments that get voted too low get hidden, and why you get shadow banned if your account runs into negative karma.

From what I understand about reddit, its the moderators censoring it. IDK why like its in the newspapers here and on BBC News (The places I go to for my news). Censoring something that is freely available anywhere is a little futile - and only going to stir up trouble. 

Toasted Muesli Specs: Rolled Oats | Desiccated Coconut | Sunflower Seeds | Chopped Brazil Nuts | Sultanas | Chopped Dried Apricots | Cinnamon | Nutmeg

3 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

That's why I visit mostly r/aww.

Joke aside, just ignore all political subreddits.

Or sort by "controversial" to get arguments from the other side.

i7 7700k 

1080Ti

ROG Maximus IX Hero

EVGA G2 850W

32GB DDR4

X62 Kraken

Creative Soundblaster Zx

Windows 10 Pro x64

Phanteks Primo

4 hours ago, Slottr said:

Don't blame reddit as a whole for this. It's thats subs mods.

You can blame reddit though, they were in a hissy fit over the_donald hitting the front page and made it where that subreddit, among a few others, no longer show up on the front page for you unless you're subscribed to them, and now you can hide certain subreddits from showing up on r/all if you decide to. It's interesting how subreddits and opinions that don't align with their views are the ones getting hidden and thrown in the back

Your mistake was to expect reddit to be a rational place to discuss real world politics in an unbiased logical manner, it's mostly virtue signalling & too much forced emotional white knighting to get good guy/gal points , sadly sensationalism is what makes reddit politics 'click' , but it's a good thing in a way to see people behave in a swarm mentality with partial information, , watch over it , see how it behaves,  be a third party viewer & don't take things for face value the things they stamp & promote,  judge dispassionately . you can learn a lot of things .

1 hour ago, Eaglerino said:

You can blame reddit though, they were in a hissy fit over the_donald hitting the front page and made it where that subreddit, among a few others, no longer show up on the front page for you unless you're subscribed to them, and now you can hide certain subreddits from showing up on r/all if you decide to. It's interesting how subreddits and opinions that don't align with their views are the ones getting hidden and thrown in the back

Honestly, that shit with Reddit messing around with how that works just to keep The_Donald off of the front page just makes me wonder "why?"

It's a pretty damn active subreddit, one of the most, so why deny it the attention it obviously gets?

Avid Team Fortress 2 player || @handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :^)

Main rig:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, stock | CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8G V1 | PSU: EVGA G3 550 | RAM: Patriot Viper 8GB DDR4 @2400MHz | Motherboard: ASRock AB350M | Case: Cooler Master N200 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB SATA | HDD1: 750GB HGST 2.5" @ 5400rpm | HDD2: 2TB WD Blue 2.5" @ 5400rpm | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K65, Corsair Sabre RGB and Sony MDR-7506

Specs for secondary rig coming soon!