Tinder is rolling out a new service in their app exclusively for College and Uni students

AlTech

Tinder is rolling out a new service exclusively for College and University Students. The new service "Tinder U" is being launched within the Tinder app.

image.png.7ac60dcfeea94364f87c6e432152404c.png

Tinder officially announced today that it’s launching a service called Tinder U, a version of Tinder that’s only available to college students. To log in to the feature for the first time, users must have a .edu email address and be geolocated on campus. The functionality is exactly the same as regular Tinder, although the UI looks slightly different: a badge depicting users’ universities will be displayed on their main profile image.

The service will be rolling out to iOS devices at four-year, accredited, not-for-profit schools in the US, Tinder says. Its parent company Match Group, Inc. first announced this product during its quarterly earnings call a couple weeks ago, when it also said Tinder accounted for most of the company’s revenue growth. There were 3.8 million paying Tinder users in Q2 2018, versus 1.7 million at the same time last year.

Users will be able to toggle between Tinder U and regular Tinder. Using the U service will surface students in the same area, regardless of whether they attend the same school. So someone in New York City on Tinder U might see someone from Fordham University, New York University, and Columbia University. We’ve reached out to Tinder for clarification and will update if we hear back.

I realize that modern america (amongst other countries) is highly addicted to sex and dating but this is just too far......

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/21/17763862/tinder-u-feature-app-university

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I realize that modern america (amongst other countries) is highly addicted to sex and dating but this is just too far......

I think this is great. I don't need tinder, but this way college students will ONLY meet people who are of legal age and stop anyone perverts from lurking on college students. I don't see the harm at all?

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Where was this when I was in uni? I had to go out to social events and join clubs and actually interact with people IRL, what a waste of time.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Just now, bleedblue said:

Where was this when I was in uni? I had to go out to social events and join clubs and actually interact with people IRL, what a waste of time.

It's a hard life...

5 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Wait, you are willing to actually spend time with people?

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Wait, you are willing to actually spend time with people?

Only the female variety with 200 IQ of course. Any lesser and my fedora had little to no effect.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

So more random hookups among college students then after finals exam? Also, why the .edu email?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

So more random hookups among college students then after finals exam? Also, why the .edu email?

To prevent people from faking being a college or uni student. You usually can only get .edu email if you're at college or Uni although technically teachers also have .edu emails.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

To prevent people from faking being a college or uni student. You usually can only get .edu email if you're at college or Uni although technically teachers also have .edu emails.

Hmm. I still have .edu mail a year after graduating....

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

When are they gonna roll out an option for elementary school dating?

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Other countries have login passtrough things like Feide and others. I believe those mails get dead after e certain time after graduation as they are only used to get into microsoft services

Though im not entierly shure

1 hour ago, KendoSapion said:

I think this is great. I don't need tinder, but this way college students will ONLY meet people who are of legal age and stop anyone perverts and pedophiles from lurking on college students. I don't see the harm at all?

Wait what? How can pedophiles prey on college students?

I would think pedophiles have a completely different demographic.

43 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Wait what? How can pedophiles prey on college students?

I would think pedophiles have a completely different demographic.

You're right, did not mean pedophiles... but my point still stands with the underage thing, my friend keeps finding people on tinder who do NOT look 18 or close, this will fix it, or at least improve it since I was 17 starting Uni

So pretty much doing the opposite of what Facebook did?

Seems a bit pointless to me, especially if there are people who maybe just finished Uni, or are of Uni student age but aren't attending and instead working full time. Just because they don't have an active .edu email doesn't mean they won't be compatible.
Regular Tinder already allows users to put their place of education on their profiles and Tinder will naturally preference showing those people to you if you are in matching universities, just like how it will preference showing users who have mutual friends.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I'm not sure this is coming at a good time. Reason I say that is because many more campuses are having virtual options.  Not to mention community college is becoming a far more attractive and cheaper alternative than becoming a full time 4 year student.

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Wat

5 hours ago, KendoSapion said:

pedophiles from lurking on college students.

Wat

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

1 minute ago, peanuts104 said:

Wat

Wat

I corrected myself lol didn't mean to say pedo's, just perverts

16 minutes ago, KendoSapion said:

I corrected myself lol didn't mean to say pedo's, just perverts

Isn't dealing with perverts part of online dating?  I'm a guy and even I have to deal with unwanted and unsolicited stuff.

I guess I fail to see the point of this app, especially since it's not university specific.  If it had a way to filter by university, then it'd make more sense to me.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

The problem with something like Tinder is that we all know its a straight up hook up app but they (being Tinder the company) are trying to convince us otherwise and show how "serious" they are about "relationships" and such.

Yeah its just a tool and depends how you use it but I'd say the vast majority of people use it to fish for compliments and yeah quick sex.     

5 hours ago, KendoSapion said:

stop perverts from lurking on college students

I strongly doubt that...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Yeah its just a tool and depends how you use it but I'd say the vast majority of people use it to fish for compliments and yeah quick sex.

I have a hard time believing a strong and lasting relationship can consistently sprout out of people who decided to date through an app before knowing each other.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

I have a hard time believing a strong and lasting relationship can consistently sprout out of people who decided to date through an app before knowing each other.

I agree.  I think it'll be interesting in the coming years to see how some of these "tinder relationships" end up working out.

2 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

I agree.  I think it'll be interesting in the coming years to see how some of these "tinder relationships" end up working out.

Divorce rates are sky high even in "regular" relationships so... let's just say I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Divorce rates are sky high even in "regular" relationships so... let's just say I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

A huge part of that is reduced social pressure to stay in a bad marriage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.