Proton, Valve's rumoured "Linux compatibility" tool has been released into the Steam client!

pipnina
2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

https://gist.github.com/roadrunner2/1289542a748d9a104e7baec6a92f9cd7

You can get it working. It's not great. It's not pretty. And a ton of stuff doesn't work. But it does get accelerated video.

Do you have a source for them using a OpenGL to Metal conversion layer? I can find absolutely nothing to support that and it makes no sense since there's literally 0 incentive for Apple to put in a ton of work developing a compatibility layer for something they're depreciating. There was talks that they might do so in the future if they lock off CGL to avoid killing their back-catalogue.

And again nothing about putting OpenGL on top of Metal magically makes it faster. If anything it makes it slower because you need to convert all the API calls and do all the shader conversion on the CPU before just handing them off to the GPU Driver like you would with OpenGL. There's work into making an OpenGL implimentation on top of Vulkan but it's certainly not for better performance.

I'm not really about arguing or discussing points but stating them. You can probably check out some of the patch notes for Mojave when it comes out soon. I will check out Linux on the MBP now though, must have been a few recent changes. 

tried warframe, path of exile, mobius ff all ran flawlessly

now to unistall all and go back to stable steam, i don't dwell in beta software 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

tried warframe, path of exile, mobius ff all ran flawlessly

now to unistall all and go back to stable steam, i don't dwell in beta software 

Running Nvidia or AMD card?  Which distro?

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

AMD 390, Ubuntu 16.04 with dias' ppa for this short instance of tests, 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

19 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Just, it thinks there is a C drive.

Yes, wine emulates one for it. There should be a folder for you game under /steam/steamapps/compatdata, you will find there a folder containing that emulated c drive.

If anyone tries Monster Hunter World do note it may load to a black screen for a while the first time it launches. Took about 3-4 minutes on my overclocked I7-7700k and may take longer on slower processors.

Also confirmed to happen in Elite Dangerous which on my last testing was totally broken with it, and may happen in other games with lots of really complex shaders, particularly if they all get executed all at once.

DXVK needs to recompile and cache the shaders from HLSL to SPIR-V and it's normally not noticable but can cause a significant delay with games that use lots of shaders all at once.

Won't be as much of an issue down the road if Valve impliments Shader Cache preload sharing through Steam for DXVK like they have for OpenGL/Vulkan, or if Kronos decides to allow HLSL shaders under Vulkan like they've been talking about as part of the 3D portability initiative.

Installed and fired up Borderlands.

No issues with install and running.  Though, I think my GTX960 hates being pushed this much at 1440p.  Or, I need to close all the other stuff my CPU is busy with.

It even ported over my old save too.  Sweet.

5b7ddd357c65b_Screenshotat2018-08-2217-43-40.thumb.png.3d9aa6e0aa905af00d8a1028efa91976.png

26 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

AMD 390, Ubuntu 16.04 with dias' ppa for this short instance of tests, 

Nice.  So, working even on an older Ubuntu build.  I think I will nab an used RX580 for some tests later on.  Be interesting to see how one of those compare to my GTX960, GTX1070, GTX1080Ti, and Titan X would show in performance while running games in Steam Play mode.

19 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Yes, wine emulates one for it. There should be a folder for you game under /steam/steamapps/compatdata, you will find there a folder containing that emulated c drive.

I had a guess that was the case.  Hmmm, I may tinker around.  Be neat if I can get SweetFX to float on top.  If I can manage that, I be one happy camper for sure.

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

I'm using Windows just because of Fallout 4, this is literally the only game preventing me from installing Linux as my main OS, not to mention its mods, nexus mods installer is only available for windows...

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

4 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I'm using Windows just because of Fallout 4, this is literally the only game preventing me from installing Linux as my main OS, not to mention its mods, nexus mods installer is only available for windows...

I don't have fallout 4 but there is a Wine tree that supposedly fixes most of the outstanding issues with it and it looks like Proton has those patches so it should work okay... *Fingers crossed?* God Rays won't work though and need to be disabled or they'll crash the game with DXVK and not sure about getting Nexus Mods to work through it through. 

If you're really thinking of switching over though don't do that until this gets out of Beta and some of the rough corners are smoothed out. Right now if you want decent performance/stability you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get things set up. It's nice and consolidates things compared to a solution such as Lutris but it's still got it's share of problems.

36 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

The ME1 and ME2 you currently have are the ones on Steam, I assume?

ME1 is on steam, I had ME2 on Origin. My friend let me use his origin account to play 3.

Installed Darksiders II, launches but then closes out before menu screen can show up.

Installed Dishonored, launches and runs.  Have a few hickup on frames, but may be the GTX960 not having enough power to drive that one at 1440p with everything on.

Got a day off work tomorrow (well, today now since it's currently 00:15) so I'll definitely load up my Ubuntu 18.04 install and start testing some games after I get some sleep. Will report back with what games worked and what didn't. 

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz | 16GB T-Force Delta RGB @ 3200Mhz | Asus Prime Z370-A | Sapphire Radeon VII (Dead :( ), RX480 8GB | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 120GB Kingston A400 | 4TB Seagate 7200RPM , 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Phanteks P400 Windows 10, MacOS Catalina

Second PC: i5 3340s @ 2.8GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz | EVGA 750Ti SC | Cheap £7 250GB WD HDD Windows 7

LaptopLate 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 120GB SSD, 9400m, running Mojave) , Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (i5, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD)

Consoles: Xbox One, PS4 Slim, PS3 slim, Xbox 360 fat still going strong after almost 10 years, Original Xbox, PS2, PS1

Phone: Realme 6, Xiaomi Mi A2, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x, iPhone 6s (jailbroken)

Tablet: iPad Mini 2nd Gen Retina (Jailbroken)

Headphones:  Hifiman HE4xx, Phillips Fidelio X2, Status Audio CB-1,  Fiio E10k DAC, Schiit Magni 3+, Tin T2 IEM's, Astrotec S80

Keyboards:  2x Custom 60% - 1x Gateron Yellow, 1x Box Reds

37 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I don't have fallout 4 but there is a Wine tree that supposedly fixes most of the outstanding issues with it and it looks like Proton has those patches so it should work okay... *Fingers crossed?* God Rays won't work though and need to be disabled or they'll crash the game with DXVK and not sure about getting Nexus Mods to work through it through. 

If you're really thinking of switching over though don't do that until this gets out of Beta and some of the rough corners are smoothed out. Right now if you want decent performance/stability you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get things set up. It's nice and consolidates things compared to a solution such as Lutris but it's still got it's share of problems.

Tried Wine, PoL and another program and I was only able to reach the main menu, no godrays and everything in Lowest settings and didn't worked.

This is great news though, just having something related to gaming on linux and from a big developer like Valve is great, looks like they have the power and will to do this

https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1475356649450732547

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

On 8/21/2018 at 7:57 PM, Captain Chaos said:

That's good news for those who really don't want to move to Win10 but are reluctant to give Linux a go because of the lack of games. 

KDE and Gnome are actually Desktop Environments, basically different user interfaces on top of a Distro. 

That is a confusing explanation for someone coming for Windows. Here is a better one.

GNOME and KDE are like Windows 3.1 in that they are installed on top of Linux to get a desktop environment like how Windows 3.1 was installed on top of DOS to get a desktop environment.

9 minutes ago, ryao said:

That is a confusing explanation for someone coming for Windows. Here is a better one.

GNOME and KDE are like Windows 3.1 in that they are installed on top of Linux to get a desktop environment like how Windows 3.1 was installed on top of DOS to get a desktop environment.

Yes, I remember the time where Linux was booted to commandline and you had to start the gui with the command "startx".

And don't forget Windows 9x wich was similar and first started a command line and then boted to a graphical user interface...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Can we seriously keep to the topic of Steam Play and what games people so far getting to work?

Any who, tested a few more games.  My list so far:

Playable and works:

• Bejeweled 3
  • AudioSurf
  • Dishonored

Runs, but low frame rate:

• Mirror’s Edge

Starts, but very, very slow to run:

• Droplitz

Don’t start:

• Waves
  • Lightfish

Starts, but black screen:

• Divide by Sheep

Starts, but closes out:

• Darksiders II

Getting late here now, so will test a bit more tomorrow afternoon after work.

18 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Can we seriously keep to the topic of Steam Play and what games people so far getting to work?

Any who, tested a few more games.  My list so far:

Playable and works:

• Bejeweled 3
  • AudioSurf
  • Dishonored

Runs, but low frame rate:

• Mirror’s Edge

Starts, but very, very slow to run:

• Droplitz

Don’t start:

• Waves
  • Lightfish

Starts, but black screen:

• Divide by Sheep

Starts, but closes out:

• Darksiders II

Getting late here now, so will test a bit more tomorrow afternoon after work.

I tried a few too on Gentoo with Mesa 18.1.6 and Intel P4700 integrated graphics. These work:

• Company of Heroes
  • Skyrim (although it performs worse in Steamplay than it does on regular Wine; also exiting is a pain)

These are broken:

• Age of Empires II
  • Age of Empires III

4 minutes ago, ryao said:

Company of Heroes and Skyrim both work (although Skyrim performs worse in Steamplay than it does on regular Wine with my Intel P4700 graphics). Age of Empires II and Age of Empires III have issues. One won’t start while the other requires a license key where the license key dialog is broken.

I'm probably going to test Skyrim on mine tomorrow.  Don't have Company of Heroes though.

Half of my library already runs native in Linux, so I just only have the other half to test (not many big titles though).  I mostly gone back to gaming big titles on my consoles.  That whole pause feature and repick up has me spoiled rotten.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread about Steam Play games?

Or maybe a wiki.

The now hidden conversation chain Windows vs Linux and related issues needs to stop, it has become too disruptive to the topic. This is not baring that type of conversation point in the topic but please keep on topic.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

The now hidden conversation chain Windows vs Linux and related issues needs to stop, it has become too disruptive to the topic. This is not baring that type of conversation point in the topic but please keep on topic.

I don't understand why it is even a discussion point,  as tech enthusiasts who want more competition and better offerings on the software front we should all be in favor of better Linux support across the board. Having a dismal view of MS or Linux or Mac for any reason in the context of this thread is largely moot.

On that note, I prefer Pepsi because coke sends taste metadata back to their evil factory lair production lab facility.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.