Proton, Valve's rumoured "Linux compatibility" tool has been released into the Steam client!

pipnina
13 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I wasn't specifically talking Wine I was talking OpenGL on MacOS in general. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-mac-clear&num=1

And what version of Wine were you using? If you were using the standard version without e-sync your bottleneck was probably before the OpenGL part anyways, and if you were using DXVK with it you aren't using OpenGL so you won't see it either.

Well MacOS uses metal now, OpenGL is there but not supported. I think the latest Wine I used was 3.7, but anything above 3.1 yielded much better performance. 

4 hours ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Wish Origin games can work because I really wanna play the Mass Effect series on Linux.

I played Mass Effect 1 on WINE before Proton, worked about as well as the Windows version.

I struggled to get ME2 working, mostly because of origin. Eventually I found a working configuration and played the game like it would otherwise run on Windows.

I couldn't get ME3 working at all, because whenever I launched the game the always-online DRM check would fail >:( had to boot into windows for that one...

EA hard at work ruining gaming for everyone as usual.

7 minutes ago, pipnina said:

I couldn't get ME3 working at all, because whenever I launched the game the always-online DRM check would fail >:( had to boot into windows for that one...

Not just EA.... I for one put any game onto my blacklist that uses denuvo for instance.

Downloading Ubuntu now.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

woooooo! this is great, never going to install windows again on my own machines it seems :D time to jump ship from Windows next time i need to reinstall OS

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

After pulling my hair out with Lutris and DXVK this might be all I need in my life. If only Origin would also work properly to play BF1 lol, but it just force closes on setup. Ugh.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

38 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Downloading Ubuntu now.

Do you like Ubuntu?

9 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Do you like Ubuntu?

Yes. I'm not an advanced user though.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

11 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Aside from Ubuntu, what's are the best Linux distros for Linux noobs? Which is better? KDE or GNOME?

Because my know-how with Linux is like a grandparent learning how to text using an iPhone.

Distribution (debian, arch) are not the same as desktop enrivoment (gnome, kde)

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Did you tried any current distro? Because it seems you are basing one some pretty ancient experiences....

Mint 18, 17,16

Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04

Fedora 28

Xubutnu 16.04

And they only ever ran well on Bulldozer or older AMD CPUs and in VMs for me. I always need to use CLI to install and reinstall wireless drivers. Performance with the OS itself has always been behind Windows on Intel platforms. The only exception I've found is Android x86.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Who are the ones that are most likely to switch to Linux?

Are we, maybe, talking about Windows Users?

And why wouldn't you make the switch from Windows to Linux as easy for them as possible??

I agree with you on some degree that it isn't that 'easy' to make the switch from Windows to Linux, especially when it comes to the transfer of files or anything similiar. Though, when installing Ubuntu or another distro, you have the option to do a dualboot which the installer will setup automatically. 

To be honest, most of the distros out there are fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it. This counts more specifically to Ubuntu. Back in the day (and even now to some degree), it kinda felt like working with MacOS as some stuff were pretty similiar. So I don't think that many Windows users out there will have too much trouble with learning Linux.

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

If I need like 10 Seconds to find something I really don't like - like haveing to have to mount a Windows share with Command Line for example, there is something not right.

I am going to presume that you are talking about mounting a NTFS-formatted drive? In that case, on Ubuntu and some other distrobutions out there,  when you go to the file explorer, you can go to "Other Locations" where you can find your hard drives. All of them (aside from the ones you have setup at the installation) are standard read-only. With a few commands you can make the drive writeable, but keep in mind that NTFS still ain't fully supported on Linux (as far as I'm aware of).  

See, that is why Commercial Software like Windows is so much better than the Open Source Alternatives. Because they get paid.

But also there is accountability!

There is nobody safe at their position, when they totally mess something up. All of the responsible actors can be fired because there is someone that can hold him/her accountable!

That's not really true at all. When something is open source, a lot of people can work and so when something is wrong in the code, everyone can see it. With Windows however, no one can check the code which in some cases is bad. I somewhat understand what you mean about accountability, but then again, when something is open source, everyone can check whether if something malicious is in it or whatever.

In short: Windows isn't as bad as you people claim and Linux is far away from being close to Windows in some areas.

And rigth now, Linux is brutally optimized for server operation. Not Consumer use!

And the strong point of Linux is the modularity and configurability!!

For a simple Webserver you don't need - or rather Want - all that Graphics bullshit or the Multi Media Crap. That's just ballast for this operation. 

And with Linux you can make your webserver as webserverish as you want it to be.

You can't do that on Windows as some services are mandatory...

Windows isn't all that bad of course, but it ain't the best operating system either out there on the market. Linux doesn't have to resemble Windows at all, not ever. It is suppose to be an unique operating system, hence there are distros. But, the 'problem' with Linux, is that the it's overall decentralized. I do understand though why that is the case. The thing that I agree and disagree on is that Linux is optimized solely for server operation at this moment. To a degree that's true but then again it is not. There are a lot of distros out there that are easy to use for a consumer once they get to know how to work with it. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

4 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

To be honest, most of the distros out there are fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it. This counts more specifically to Ubuntu. Back in the day (and even now to some degree), it kinda felt like working with MacOS as some stuff were pretty similiar. So I don't think that many Windows users out there will have too much trouble with learning Linux.

The biggest roadblock to anyone switching from windows to Linux is the desire to do so in the first place. There are things that even I, a full-time Linux user would like to see (proper GUI "Device Manager" counterpart and working GUI mouse configuration) but in the end, someone who wants to use Linux, will be able to do so with perhaps less effort than one would expect.

There will never be such a thing as a "seamless transition" from one OS to another. Linux could emulate Windows as much as possible and never achieve that. It's foolish to try. One hope I have is that there may be a Linux distro that shows up if the market gets big enough (maybe Zorin?) which will be funded by users (i.e. you pay for it) and as such have official sources of support and developers who effectively work for the users paying for the OS.

This sort of exists with RHEL, but that's for enterprise, not the home. It's also a very pricey license.

4 minutes ago, Master Delta Chief said:

I am going to presume that you are talking about mounting a NTFS-formatted drive? In that case, on Ubuntu and some other distrobutions out there,  when you go to the file explorer, you can go to "Other Locations" where you can find your hard drives. All of them (aside from the ones you have setup at the installation) are standard read-only. With a few commands you can make the drive writeable, but keep in mind that NTFS still ain't fully supported on Linux (as far as I'm aware of).  

NTFS works fine for me, read and write (Though windows 10 can "lock" the drive under certain conditions like hibernate/sleep). My Windows drive is picked up automatically by Mint and Ubuntu, as are my NAS box's AFP/Samba shares. All done through GUI. Perhaps it is KDE alone which has the issues with network drives?

16 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I always need to use CLI to install and reinstall wireless drivers.

There is a section for that under System>Preferences>Hardware>Additional Drivers. (In most cases you dont even need to open this, if you dont have an nvidia gpu that is.)

20 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

erformance with the OS itself has always been behind Windows on Intel platforms

Well its quite the contrary, especially on old/new but weak HW. Besides:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/doawnz9aqk4cigk/Screenshot at 2018-08-22 14-28-52.png?dl=0

Just now, Master Delta Chief said:

To be honest, most of the distros out there are fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Yes, if you don't really use Windows with Shortcuts that might be true.

If you use Windows with Shortcuts, its not.

As most Distros for example don't use the "Win + L" Key. You have to do that manually.

And with KDE, no Windows Shortcut works! Not even the well known and used "ALT+F4" Combination.

So it depends on the user and how they are using Windows. If they use Windows like 2000, they will be happy with Windows.

But if they use all the good things that came with Windows 7 or later 8, that is a problem.

So I don't think that many Windows users out there will have too much trouble with learning Linux.

Yeah but why the hell should they learn at all?!

Why not just make it so that it looks different but the Windows user feels kinda at home and safe. And not doing some stupid bullshit like stealing the MacOS Dock, rotate it clockwise 90° and call that innovation.

That's just stupid because the MacOS users are the least likelys to switch to Linux because it looks so similar!!

The most likely people to switch to Linux are the Windows users!

As they are unhappy (well at least many say so) and would like to switch. 

But your main Linux Developers make it hard and you piss off the more experienced Windows User with some stupid shit - like the OSX Dock design instead of the Windows Like style of Gnome 2.0

So you have to use some 2nd or third tier desktop like Cinnamon or Mate because the Gnome Developers hat a "Schnappsidee" (a translation of that would be a drunk thought because its an idea you have when you are pretty drunk)

I am going to presume that you are talking about mounting a NTFS-formatted drive?

No, if I did that, I would say so.

But I said Windows Share. That means that its a Share of a Windows Machine.

Wich means that its a drive inside a Windows Machine that is shared with the network. And I can access that with MacOSX. And I can also access that (manually) With Windows.

I was NOT talking about an NTFS Formatted drive/Partition!
I was talking about Network Access!

And that there is no (obvious) way to mount it manually in the file explorer! You can only do that with a Command line script. And yes, I've googled it.

That's not really true at all. When something is open source, a lot of people can work and so when something is wrong in the code, everyone can see it.

No, its true. Look at the "Failed Maintainer" C3 Video from a couple of years ago, where the libusb main guy talked about what happened.

And that is one of the Problems the Open Source Community has.

Too big Egos, no accountability!

Or how would you get rid of Linus Tolvards as the Linux Kernel Guy?

You can't!

With Commercial Software you can because there is always a guy or two on top and a chain of accountability. And at the highest there are the Shareholders.

And you can also stop using the shit.

Granted, the Linux Kernel is a bad example, but the Gnome 3 shit is a good one.

M$ did something similar. And you know what happened?

Nobody bought that Windows Version with the other (full screen) Start Menu!

So M$ took it back and made a hybrid of the old and the new Startmenu.

With Windows however, no one can check the code which in some cases is bad.

That is a lie!

And you should know it, if you are really into the OS stuff...

Because it is possible to look at the Windows code as M$ allows you to look at it, if you are a gouvernment agency or a big enough partner.

I don't have a Link for that, as it doesn't seem to be that well known but the claim that nobody except M$ can look at the code is just an outright lie as in reality you could look at the code if you are a big enough partner.

I somewhat understand what you mean about accountability, but then again, when something is open source, everyone can check whether if something malicious is in it or whatever.

Yes and if the Main guy managing the Project is an Idiot or an Ass (or both) and fucks something up big time (Hello Gnome 3), how do you hold that person accountable?

In a company, he would probably get a warning or outright get fired (like Brian Krzanich a couple of weeks ago). But with Open Source you don't have any mechanism to get rid of the people or hold them accountable.

And that is the other thing:

How do you know that an Open Source Developer does something that is good for everyone and not just does something that HE wants??

With Commercial Software, it has to be made for you, as you have to buy it!

With Open Source it doesn't! 

Even if nobody outside of the Circle of developers uses the Software, who cares. And _THAT_ is the Problem with Linux and all that Open Source shit.

I

Windows isn't all that bad of course, but it ain't the best operating system either out there on the market.

No, but for consumer it is the best thing and will be the best thing for a long time if there is no change in the mindset of the Linux Community or there is a big company (like Valve), who does their own Desktop Enviroment that is better than what you have right now.

Linux doesn't have to resemble Windows at all, not ever.

And that is where you are wrong and another Problem with the Linux Community. You know that KDE was an outright Windows 9x UI Clone, do you?
You know that most people in the World either use Windows or know it/have used it in their life.

Your statement makes as much sense as "A Car doesn't have to have a Steering Wheel!!"

And there are a lot of cars who don't have anything like a steeringwheel. But that was some time ago...

And to be frank: If I want something that isn't Windows, I get a MAC!

There the Software works, it is made to be used by the User without some command line shit like Linux and it works. And it is different.

Also there are some other Desktops like Openbox...

But yeah, making a mainstream Tier1 Desktop Enviroment that isn't like Windows is just dumb. And didn't get Gnome 3 a lot of flak for the OSX thing they did?!

And that also caused Forks like Cinamon... 

It is suppose to be an unique operating system, hence there are distros.

Stop it with the bullshit, would you pls?

That's just nonsense...

And the Operating System hasn't much to do with the Desktop Enviroments, that are two cups of tea. A Desktop Enviroment is the UI, something that the User interfaces with the Machine. And here all are crap and Windows is far superior!

Its like comparing a Lanz to a modern traktor. While your Linux is the Lanz!

And Windows is so far ahead of you you don't even realize the 1 Cylinder Diesel Engine...

The thing that I agree and disagree on is that Linux is optimized solely for server operation at this moment.

Yeah, Why?

Who invests the most money in Linux development?

Isn't it Red Hat and SuSe?

And isn't SuSe's Model based on service Contracts with bigger companys that are using their Software??
Isn't it the same shit with Red Hat??? 

And the Rest of Linux Development is Google but I doubt that it's much Linux besides the Kernel...

So who is paying for the Desktop Enviroment Development?? I don't see many "big bucks"...

Also its bullshit to assume that because something is open source that all the developers are doing it in their spare time...

There are a couple of Open Source developer that do that for a living and are getting paid for that work!

To a degree that's true but then again it is not. There are a lot of distros out there that are easy to use for a consumer once they get to know how to work with it. 

...if you use Windows like 2000, you can live with most....

If you don't use Windows like 2000 you see the problems right away as some Desktops you have to click on the Maximize button if you want to move the Window (last time I used LXDE or LXQT), most don't support Windows + Arrowkeys and some don't even suport ALT+F4...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Personally. I think all Linux that is not Android is shit for those that aren't either power users or literally only need the OS to get a web browser.

You'd be surprised by how large of a percentage is included in the "power users or just need a browser" category. It's probably like 70% of all people these days.

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

And one of the Biggest issues is the Multimedia stuff as it is not implemented in some Distributions and has to be handly installed. With some it works out of the box with some it doesn't and with others its a pain to get it running....

What "multimedia stuff" are you referring to?

If it's playback of different media files then you just need to install VLC or some other player and it will work just like it does on Windows, with all the same codec support.

Hell, chances are a user-friendly distro like Ubuntu has better media support than Windows does out-of-the-box.

Can KDE 5.0 stream from Windows Shares yet or does it have to open the whole file from the Windows Share??

What do you mean by "stream"? You mean like a video? That is application dependent, not DE dependent, just like in Windows.

If you for example use VLC or mpv then it will be able to stream video files just fine, since neither of those applications require the entire file.

However, opening something in for example Nano will require the entire file, just like it does in Windows if you open something in Notepad.

And also you should mention that KDE might look more like Windows but doesn't use the Windows Shortcuts but the Unix ones.

Well there is always a bit of a learning curve with new operating systems (or programs in general).

You can't expect 100% of the things to be exactly the same as on the one you're used to.

For commercial software, you can hold them accountable with not buying their shit like people do with Battlefield V or M$ Windows 8.1. With Linux its the: "Don't like it? Dont use it, m8!" mindset...

No, far from it.

Also, have you never been in a Windows 10 complain thread? Let me tell you, the "don't like it, don't use it mate!" mindset is very much a thing for Windows users too.

If I tell Microsoft I don't like something with AD, they will probably give me the middle thing and say "get used to it, buddy". Them losing one customer won't hurt them at all.

They need to fuck up on an astonishingly massive scale before the whole "don't like it don't buy it" even comes into effect, because in a lot of cases there are no viable alternatives. If the same thing happens to an open source program at least that can be forked and someone else can fix the issues the developers are ignoring.

27 minutes ago, pipnina said:

There will never be such a thing as a "seamless transition" from one OS to another.

For some parts you are right, but for most parts it is possible to get a great experience.

But for that the Linux side has to stop with the "Linux is not Windows!!11" nonsense and adopt the Windows 7+ Taskbar wich nobody to this day has done. Cinnamon, Mate, KDE and XFCE are all stuck on the Windows 95 + IE4 Taskbar, that was used up until XP.

In some you can't rearange the running programs in the Taskbar (like in Windows).

In Most Windows + Arrow don't work, Windows + L doesn't work (Lock Screen, that where everything is running and you have to input your password)

or some really stupid shit like righclick on the Taskbar for some settings and other stuff...

If you really are used to Windows and use a couple of more features that were introduced with Windows 7 back in 2009, you won't be that happy with the Linux UIs...

Linux could emulate Windows as much as possible and never achieve that.

As I said:
They already did.

Look at how KDE 1.0 looked!

And how Windows 98 looked.
And that was actually better than Windows 98 at the time - wich isn't that hard to be honest.

But after M$ brought Windows 7, the Linux Desktops fell behind and never really caught up with all the changes!

Just look at the release notes of I think it was Linuxmint 18.3 but I could be wrong and it was 18.2 where they said for the MATE Version that the Taskbar can now be placed on the left and right side of the screen...

Ähm, guys, that's something Windows 95 could (not 3 as it didn't have a Start Menu. Oh yeah, good old PROGMAN.EXE)....

It's foolish to try.

No, its not.

As history already has proven you wrong.

As KDE was successful because it imitated the Windows UI!
And at the Time there weren't many Windows Shortcuts either.

The thing is M$ invests probably a ton of man hours in how to figure out how to make the UI better. You can't do that in a day and have to do some experimentation.

But in the end there aren't too many possibilitys that are really usefull.

The analogy with the steering wheel is quite fitting. As all cars today have steering wheels and nobody dares to argue against that at all, M$ kinda invented the Steeringwheel for UIs with Windows 95...

And thus we have even today, 23 years later, the same basic concept, of course heavily improved...

And their attempt to make it different was a big fail.

This sort of exists with RHEL, but that's for enterprise, not the home. It's also a very pricey license.

Same with SLES, isn't it?

Thing is that both, RHEL and SLES is what finances most of the Linux stuff. And that isn't the ui as the UI isn't relevant for a server at all.

It might be relevant for HPC, but then again, the UI doesn't matter much as its only a tool to start the application you want and run that. 

You don't work too much with the UI in this scenario, you work with the graphical application.

wich then again leads to the only situation where you really work with the UI and that is the more productive office/2D/surfin the Web stuff - and comes back to the normal, standard Enduser/Consumer who is really interested in a powerful UI....

The servers most likely run in text modus or rather headless...

For HPC its only a tool that starts the application you want to use....

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

24 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You'd be surprised by how large of a percentage is included in the "power users or just need a browser" category. It's probably like 70% of all people these days.

1. Power users are a minority. A niche.
  2. When I say 'just need a browser,' it's a very literal statement. To the point where if Firefox could be installed as an OS, it'd serve this niche better than Linux.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

27 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

-snip-

And linux  lacks preinstalled crapware, spyware, keylogger, not a monolithic mess where even a small update requires you to reboot, dont have sub-par quality updates, dont have a unusable gui with identity crisis, etc....... 9_9

Edited by jagdtigger

13 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Aside from Ubuntu, what's are the best Linux distros for Linux noobs? Which is better? KDE or GNOME?

Because my know-how with Linux is like a grandparent learning how to text using an iPhone.

I personally like KDE Neon, but it's really a preference thing, I would hop between a couple of different distros until you find one you click with

2 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

After pulling my hair out with Lutris and DXVK this might be all I need in my life. If only Origin would also work properly to play BF1 lol, but it just force closes on setup. Ugh.

doesn't BF1 have that denuvo DRM thing? It likely wouldn't work because of that anyway

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

12 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Electron: The tool for compatibility with Macs. 

-_-

Electron is actually a thing already. It's a framework for building cross-platform apps and it's what Discord, WhatsApp Desktop, Atom, VS Code and other stuff use.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

doesn't BF1 have that denuvo DRM thing? It likely wouldn't work because of that anyway

There is a Lutris profile for BF1 so I guess not. AC:O has Denuvo DRM though.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

There is a Lutris profile for BF1 so I guess not. AC:O has Denuvo DRM though.

ah I see. Maybe one day soon.

since you have a nvidia card, just thought i'd ask -- how is performance under linux with it? I always hear good things about AMD and linux but never anything about nvidia.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

If I need like 10 Seconds to find something I really don't like - like haveing to have to mount a Windows share with Command Line for example, there is something not right.

You don't need to do that.

You open the file explorer (Dolphin), select "add network drive" and then type in:

smb://<path to network>

The only difference compared to Windows is that you need "smb:" before the path, because Windows assumes it is smb when noting is specified. Not sure if Dolphin does that.

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Also lack of integration of sharing in many distributions (like OpenSuSe)

You can add smb support with a single command if it's not included by default. Just install Samba.

But that's kind of besides the point. You are clearly not the target demographic for OpenSUSE. By the sounds of it, Ubuntu would be a far better fit for you.

9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

See, that is why Commercial Software like Windows is so much better than the Open Source Alternatives. Because they get paid.

But also there is accountability!

Again, not true.

You're making very large generalizations and assumptions even though you clearly has not worked with open or closed software developers.

You can find countless examples of closed source developers ignoring issues and customers because they deem the issues not worth the time and potential loss of money.

Meanwhile, you can find plenty of examples of open source developers doing everything in their powers to please the users. A lot of them rely on donations, so pissing off their users also mean a loss of money. Not only that, if an open source software developer don't do what their users ask for, someone can just fork their program, potentially "stealing" all their users.

So in a lot of cases, I would argue that there is far more accountability in open source development. Especially since you can see the names of every developer making every single change and who is in charge of what.

Also all that Samba stuff isn't integrated well into the UI, you can't, like with Windows, manually input a Windows share into the Adress bar...

Depends on the file explorer you use.

In short: Windows isn't as bad as you people claim and Linux is far away from being close to Windows in some areas.

That entirely depends on what you're talking about. Most of what you posted seem to be personal opinions or anecdotes. Mostly regarding some file explorer you used and you couldn't figure out how to access an smb share.

"Windows isn't as bad as you people claim" might be right in some cases, but also wrong in other cases. Windows and GNU/Linux both have their share of strengths and weaknesses. You can't really generalize them the way you do.

58 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes, if you don't really use Windows with Shortcuts that might be true.

If you use Windows with Shortcuts, its not.

You are a perfect example of "baby duck syndrome".

55 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

As most Distros for example don't use the "Win + L" Key. You have to do that manually.

In Ubuntu it's ctrl+shift+L, but you can change it to win+L if you want under system settings.

The more of your post I read, the more I am convinced that you just picked the wrong distro. You should have used Ubuntu rather than OpenSUSE or whichever one you used.

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yeah but why the hell should they learn at all?!

Again, baby duck syndrome.

You had to learn Windows too. No baby is born knowing that win+L locks a Windows computer. They have to learn it.

A GNU/Linux user could make the same arguments as you, that "why doesn't Microsoft use ctrl+shift+L to lock the desktop? Then I wouldn't have to relearn it!" and it would be just as valid of an argument.

And that there is no (obvious) way to mount it manually in the file explorer! You can only do that with a Command line script. And yes, I've googled it.

Seems like you need to brush up on your google-fu in that case.

Because all you have to do in Dolphin is click the "Add Network Folder", just like in Windows. No need to use the command-line.

That is a lie!

And you should know it, if you are really into the OS stuff...

Because it is possible to look at the Windows code as M$ allows you to look at it, if you are a gouvernment agency or a big enough partner.

I don't have a Link for that, as it doesn't seem to be that well known but the claim that nobody except M$ can look at the code is just an outright lie as in reality you could look at the code if you are a big enough partner.

I work for a company which has gotten the "Microsoft partner of the year" award several times. I do not have access to the Windows source code, nor does anyone else at my company.

I believe some government agencies has access to it, like NSA, but I am not aware of any partners which has it.

In a company, he would probably get a warning or outright get fired (like Brian Krzanich a couple of weeks ago). But with Open Source you don't have any mechanism to get rid of the people or hold them accountable.

In an open source project you can:

1) Complain about them and get the kicked off the project. A lot of times open source projects follow the same hierarchic structure as closed source software companies.

2) Anyone can fork the project and make whichever changes they want to it, assuming the license allows for it.

3) Stop using the software, just like with commercial software.

I am not sure why you assume so many open source developers are assholes that want to hurt their users though. A lot of times open source developers are driven by passion and a desire to do good things.

In contrast, it is far more likely that commercial software s developed with the sole purpose of making money, so every request or decision made is taken with maximizing profitability in mind. That often leads to a worse end user experience.

And to be frank: If I want something that isn't Windows, I get a MAC!

I think everyone reading this understands that GNU/Linux is not for you. A Mac would be far more suitable.