Scrapyard Wars Season 8 Ideas

38 minutes ago, Gorro said:

Well, you are right and i havent though about that.

What if only one member of the team did it for 6 ~ 8 hours and the other one has to continue his work for another 6 ~ 8 hours ?.

Maybe then. As I said I don't know the particulars of Canadian law being Scottish and all

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

On 10/16/2018 at 7:52 PM, Gorro said:

What if only one member of the team did it for 6 ~ 8 hours and the other one has to continue his work for another 6 ~ 8 hours

Like @Inversion I cannot comment with certainty about Canadian laws but in the UK it is law that there must be a minimum of 11 hours between shifts and I expect Canada would have something similar.

The frame doesn't really bother me. They can take a hole week to put it together, I don't care, as long as it's cheap, used and awesome in the end.

I'd suggest something to do with some old cars.

Somehow integrate a PC into a car, make the car somewhat nice looking.

And get us via forum to vote who's is the best

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

28 minutes ago, iHomer said:

I'd suggest something to do with some old cars.

Somehow integrate a PC into a car, make the car somewhat nice looking.

And get us via forum to vote who's is the best

The thing is, they are not mechanically inclined on anything other then pc's and servers and electronics.

It would be too cost prohibitive to outsource painting or mechanical work. Unless L-man can get 2pennies to fly in from the usa and wrench and build, I have a feeling he maybe a wrencher with his, hmmmm how shall I put this, with his imported "tuner" vehicle. The thing is, most of those types of people, don't get dirty fingernails or even do their own basic services. Harley Davidson owners are like that, look all tough maybe tatted but dont spin a wrench. I am trying to think of others that can fly in, I am sure there are a few yt people out there.

My idea would be in the early days of pc's the hardcore people literally built their own pc's. I doubt the ltt crew have any soldering skills to speak of. If the price point is right, maybe get a pcb printer that can do assembly to do it. I am sure there is a very niche market out there for this type of pc building. Maybe there is a service out there that they can use that is just generic pick and place to build a motherboard. Would be to time consuming IMO to even do it, too risky to do it based on internet investigations alone.

The only way this can be done is through a promo, getting Linus to promote a local company that fixes vehicles and paints vehicles and going out and buying $500 vehicle challenge. Then getting Linus and group to do the "Pimp my Ride" side of the electronics game, using used, cheap electronics components.

I dont think including the pink lambo is a good choice, I think two $500 vehicle challenge is the key here, but only with help from a knowledgable wrencher. So some planning is involved, but my idea would be a fresh angle on the stale content assembly line. Perhaps get old CRT in the trunk, with old nintendo, 8 track, speakers. Retro angle to it all. It is probably way to ambitious for the HQ's efforts. If it is done right, with the right silly facial expression as the video's thumbnail picture, I think it would sell like hot cakes and fly off the shelves for some big time profit.

Other ideas to add

Fuzzy Dice

Disco Ball

Kitt car lighting, remember that 80's tv series, yeah that

Again, probably too ambitious.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:39 AM, ThisIsNotReddit..WHAATT said:

It was my local recycling dump.

Yea at the recycling places they throw away tons of good stuff here as well. Problem here is that it is illegal to grab it once it has been turned in :)

I am sure Linus and crew put a lot of thought and effort into the premise of the used pc build, its probably a top seller and makes them a decent income.

There is a balance between how much time is put into the video and how much it is costing Linus, then there is a profit margin Linus is working with.

All the time that is spent by everyone involved in the making of the pc build like driving around, the fuel, insurance, medical coverage are all factors in this.

Meaning can't have anything to complex, then the viewers will not like it and Linus doesnt make any money. Make it too long, putting too much time into it, making uninteresting pc's, ugly pc's. Making the wrong silly face as the thumbnail picture for the video.

All factors in profiting.

I have a different idea. Instead of focusing on MAX PERFORMANCE, do a "coolest temp" build. (Perhaps combined with the "quietest build")

The coolest temp while running (insert stress test here) for (insert time here) while reaching a minimum of (insert number here) on cinebench/other benchmark wins. 

This would encourage weird builds. And would be more than just "oh get the best CPU/GPU you can and win" You could put restrictions on it like "no LN2" or "no non-computer parts" (like air conditioners.)

Restrict them to a certain age range of hardware and see how many scrap piles they literally have to dig through. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

$500 Canadian including windows & only buy parts online (Ebay, amazon.ca warehouse deals, etc) & local classifieds (Kijiji, craigslist, etc).

For teams/guests, RandomGaminginHD & Tech Yes City vs Linus & Luke, maybe for a 3 way team battle add JayzTwoCents & Gamers Nexus.

How about they actually make it Scrapyard like in the good ol' days? (Austin Evan's dual PSU build anybody?)

I say they've beaten that dead horse enough, let's have them do REAL scrapyard wars where they make weapons and armor out of old busted PC parts and fight each other!

Just now, imreloadin said:

I say they've beaten that dead horse enough, let's have them do REAL scrapyard wars where they make weapons and armor out of old busted PC parts and fight each other!

^^^^ Heck yes!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Collab w/ Strange Parts and have a phone scrapyard wars.

I still like the idea I posed on another Scrapyard Wars Ideas post, that is to do a vintage build. Like, can't use parts newer than 2005 or 2010. Or must be a windows 98 build. Or some kind of hardware restriction rather then a money restriction. Then they can see what they can find on the second hand market that fits that criteria and fastest build wins. Maybe have an old benchmarking tool or an old game to test and possibly a newer one for giggles.

I dunno, I just think some kind of age restriction to the hardware to make a true "scrapyard" build as none of those components would be available brand new anywhere. (old new stock would be fine). See what they come up with and how creative they get with finding old hardware.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x