Scrapyard Wars Season 8 Ideas

After watching season 7, I found that all the seasons were sort off blending into one. however I have two ideas of what to do for season 8

Idea 1:

Workstations:

I know gaming is most people's interest however trying to build a system with a xeon and a good amount of ram and enough storage

Idea 2:

File Server:

They have to build a file server for the least amount of money.

Rules:

Must be in a rack mount case

Must have a 10gb nic

Must have 10tb of storage

Whoever's server transfers and reads a 1gb file the fastest wins

Thanks 

Ps sorry if I posted in the wrong topic

Maybe requiring that it be non-x86 architecture, I think that would be pretty interesting.  Would probably also be a pain to do though.  Still running IA64 vs PPC would be cool :)

also something similar to a VM gaming machine for at least two people per tower like the two gamers one CPU 

Personally scrapyard wars got boring after season 3~. 

I think they’ve run workstation like loads before but it could be different to optimize for network speed/file speed. Though enterprise parts aren’t that widely available. 

Season 8 should be them building PCs out of parts from an actual dump. I went to my local dump once and found a MSI z270 sli pro motherboard and a couple old i5 systems.

2 minutes ago, ThisIsNotReddit..WHAATT said:

Season 8 should be them building PCs out of parts from an actual dump. I went to my local dump once and found a MSI z270 sli pro motherboard and a couple old i5 systems.

What kind of dumpster field did you go? 

IDK I think it would be cool to see if they could pull off a ridiculously low budget build... See how much PC they can come up with for like $50 or $100

• 1 month later...

I enjoy watching the hardware hunt, but the modding parts most of all.

Some ideas that I've played with:

- an open air wall mounted server, something low power that hangs like a painting.

- a test bench.

- a rack mounted server case modded to fit standard consumer parts.

IMG_20181013_193152491.jpg

IMG_20181013_193313720.jpg

IMG_20181013_193355256.jpg

Electronic Recyclers with a promo for that company then donate the pc's to needy families!

I doubt they would do that.

I'd like to see one where they build a system that uses at least TWO physical CPUs, they source the parts from eBay, and they can NOT use a rackmount case. :)

Another couple ideas I have:

Pick one part that they'll splurge on ... then the cost of *ALL* the other parts combined have to be LESS than the cost of that one splurged-on part.  (That *INCLUDES* peripherals, etc.)

That idea is inspired by Season 1, where Luke spent more than half his budget on his GPU.

Build a Mini ITX or smaller gaming PC - in a very small case - the motherboard takes up the entire bottom area of the case, and the total exterior height is under 1U.  One idea: lay the bare-PCB GPU on top of the CPU socket, and use the same copper plate to cool both, with said plate sandwiched between the delidded CPU die and the GPU die, OR, have the CPU heatspreader itself do secondary duty as a GPU heatsink.  RAM would have to be low profile, as in the very low profile DDR3 stuff.  Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 would still be too tall.

In addition, the CPU and GPU have to be PASSIVELY cooled (0dB).  (Also they fabricate the heatsinks themselves, no buying things off-the-shelf.)  The case itself may be used as a heatsink, but it has to be airtight, and kept cool enough (by not clocking parts so high) that Linus's kids can safely hold the case with their bare hands while the system is running FurMark and Prime95 Small FFT simultaneously.  Also, do the testing / benchmarking somewhere near Palm Springs, Phoenix, Yuma, or a similar place between June and August.

See what the best performance they can get with those extreme thermal constraints.  (I imagine it'd be so thermally limited that they'd be using low-voltage CPUs (like T series Intel Core, E series AMD, L series Xeon, or similar), AND they'd be clocking the CPU to like 1.0 GHz, running on 2 cores with HT turned off, and undervolting to like 0.5 volts or something like that,l maybe.)

That one is in part inspired by Season 2, where they did custom-fabricated water cooling.

Just had another idea, although maybe it'd be for something different than Scrapyard Wars, or the criteria for competition would be non-traditional.

Build two systems that are VERY different in age, as follows:

System A uses whatever was the flagship CPU and GPU of its generation (like that era's i9-9980XE / TR 2990WX / RTX 2080 Ti / equivalent), and is cooled with LN2.

System B uses current or recent generation lowest-end parts (for example Celeron G4900T, Ryzen 3 1200 + GT 710, Athlon 200GE, or similar.  CPU and GPU have all heatsinks, fans, heatspreaders, etc. removed, and are run bare.

System B has to get a higher FPS in Time Spy Extreme, than System A's Ice Storm SCORE.  (I wonder how old System A would have to be in that case.)

And, a few hours after posting this, yet another idea popped into my brain.

Build a workstation, a PC for productivity, media editing, office work, etc, that is god-like at, for example, 3D modeling, rendering videos, etc, running common Windows or Linux software for those tasks ... BUT, is utterly INCAPABLE of *ANY* gaming whatsoever, not even extremely lightweight games that would run on what would have been considered a ? 30 years ago. :P

I found some pics from back when I made the first two...so ugly.

1544018_562597990497588_369588405_n.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2017-08-05 at 4.29.34 AM.jpeg

The last few haven’t really felt like “scrapyard” builds (indeed, a lot of last season were shot in a Best Buy). 

Budget needs to be drastically slashed, like the first two series. $100 for a pc is an achievement, $1000 is not.

I really like the idea of a rack mounted build, but only if the only requirement is that it must be rack mountable. I want to see them try and DIY a rail system with the possibility of that failing. 

Bring Bryan from Tech YES City

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

19 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Bring Bryan from Tech YES City

^

+1

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

How about they have to build a computer in which all the parts have to be at least, say, 10 years old, nothing newer (except maybe for things like PSUs and cases where it doesn't really matter).

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

14 hours ago, Dredgy said:

The last few haven’t really felt like “scrapyard” builds (indeed, a lot of last season were shot in a Best Buy). 

Budget needs to be drastically slashed, like the first two series. $100 for a pc is an achievement, $1000 is not.

Totally! 980TIs, brand new coolers, SSDs off Amazon... You kidding me?! 'Scrapyard' is gotta mean NO BEST BUY at the very least.

How about: Build the best $/perf. Windows XP system possible using parts only from 2007 and earlier. $500 USD budget.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

21 minutes ago, FadedCrown said:

How about: Build the best $/perf. Windows XP system possible using parts only from 2007 and earlier. $500 USD budget.

Actually... idea. On. It's. Way...

Build the oldest *working* PC! :D

What if they have 24 hours to buy and set their builds? With 500$ and only used part, starting at 12PM and no sleep :D

4 minutes ago, Gorro said:

What if they have 24 hours to buy and set their builds? With 500$ and only used part, starting at 12PM and no sleep :D

They won't be legally allowed to do that because there will be laws about how much work you're allowed to do at a time and while they could swap in new camera guys, Linus and Luke would be in violation of these laws. I'm not up on the specific laws since I'm neither Canadian nor a Lawyer but I'm sure these laws exist.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

1 minute ago, Inversion said:

They won't be legally allowed to do that because there will be laws about how much work you're allowed to do at a time and while they could swap in new camera guys, Linus and Luke would be in violation of these laws. I'm not up on the specific laws since I'm neither Canadian nor a Lawyer but I'm sure these laws exist.

Well, you are right and i havent though about that.

What if only one member of the team did it for 6 ~ 8 hours and the other one has to continue his work for another 6 ~ 8 hours ?.