Newegg's illegal return practices

On 9/14/2018 at 7:29 PM, Angel102 said:

If a company sells an item to a customer in Europe, then they must abide by EU consumer rights and import law when shipping to that country in the EU, otherwise they should have declined the sale to begin with.

It's really not complicated. Just like some websites now refuse traffic from EU countries as a result of recent GDPR laws implemented by the EU.

1) That's not necessarily true.

2) The irony is that I live in the US and have never had to pay them a stocking fee. It's likely his entitled attitude. Because customer service is used to demanding people making them feel like crap, being nice to them often results in them actually giving you gift cards. Last time I talked to customer service on Newegg I said I realized it was my fault and apologized for taking up her time. She gave me $5 free credit.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

2) The irony is that I live in the US and have never had to pay them a stocking fee. It's likely his entitled attitude. Because customer service is used to demanding people making them feel like crap, being nice to them often results in them actually giving you gift cards. Last time I talked to customer service on Newegg I said I realized it was my fault and apologized for taking up her time. She gave me $5 free credit.

SOOOOOO much this...when I worked in Customer Service and people were assholes I looked for every possible means that I could to basically tell them to go pound sand.

It would always devolve into them going "well I'll just take my business elsewhere" to which I would always think "PLEASE GOD LET THIS PERSON SPEAK THE TRUTH!!!!"

12 hours ago, imreloadin said:

So let me get this straight...you bought a Vega 64 from Newegg. A week later you noticed that AMD was offering a promo code for 3 free games and decided to see if Newegg would be generous enough to provide you with the promo code even though you purchased it outside of the promotional time period. So what exactly is wrong with the Vega 64 that makes you want to return it? Also what day was it that you contacted them about the promo code and then when you contacted them again requesting the refund?

under EU law you don't need to give any reason for a product return within 14 days.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

4 hours ago, Angel102 said:

under EU law you don't need to give any reason for a product return within 14 days.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

If that's the case why is he bitching about it here instead of contacting the proper authorities to get his case reviewed?

If I was Newegg I'd simply not ship to the EU for crap like this or strictly not offer any kinds of promotions because you have people like this guy who gets salty that he bought something outside of a promotion window and expects them to "bend to his will" or risk having him refund the full purchase plus refund the costs of shipping the item both ways. I see that as a form of extortion and wouldn't put up with that shit if I was the owner of a company.

Some traders may not charge you for returning the goods. However, the trader should inform you if you have to pay the costs of returning the goods. If they don't inform you that you must pay for your return, the trader will have to pay the cost of your return. You don't have to pay any other charges that you were not informed of.

Source from @Angel102's post: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Not sure what the problem is...Newegg was even willing to negotiate the restocking fee lower...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

You also are disqualified by AMD for not being a US resident for the program.

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/raise-the-game

Click on Footnotes:

*Offer available through participating retailers only. Following purchase, Coupon Code must be redeemed by December 31, 2018, after which coupon is void.  Residency and additional limitations apply. For full Terms & Conditions, visit www.amdrewards.com.

Campaign period begins August 7, 2018 and ends November 3, 2018 or when supply of Coupon Codes is exhausted, whichever occurs first. Eligible AMD Product must be purchased during Campaign Period. Offer void where prohibited.

On 16/09/2018 at 7:16 PM, Razor Blade said:

Source from @Angel102's post: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Not sure what the problem is...Newegg was even willing to negotiate the restocking fee lower...

postage fee and a restocking fee are 2 separate costs, and the restocking fee is illegal under EU law.

On 8/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, Marko Fowles said:

But like i said, lesson learned, not buying anything anymore from Newegg nor the US.

Well time for Canadian companies to shine!

On 9/3/2018 at 7:28 AM, JoostinOnline said:

You didn't buy it from Europe though. Newegg is an American company.

I don't think you know how laws work. So you are correct that they are an American company and bound by American law, but they are also bound by the laws of the country or state they are doing business in. That is why almost all legal documents say you may be entitled to additional rights.

It is pretty much identical to how the GDPR works.  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/25/gdpr-data-privacy-rules-in-europe-and-how-they-apply-to-us-companies.html

So if you want to do business in the EU you have to obey by their laws. If you do not want to abide by their laws then you have the choice of not doing business there. In the end the choice is up the company, but since newegg has chosen to ship products to the EU, they are now subject to their laws.

The law in question - https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Also understand that the fines for these violation have been raised substantially. It can be in the hundred thousand range or it can even be a percentage or your annual income. OP should contact the consumer protection agency and explain this all to them. Chances are you will get a quick response from newegg and they will be changing their tune.

• 1 month later...

Why on earth did you buy from New Egg in the first place? They are much more expensive for EU buyers than anywhere in Europe anyway!

You may be tempted by the tax not included headline figure, but do your maths next time and work out the final delivered to your door price. A quick check says that the cheapest current Vega 64 (gigabyte GV-RXVEGA64GAMING) on new egg delivered to my door in Denmark would be 5.069,62DKK (~€680) (they only estimate tax, it's not a final figure, but lets say they are accurate) but the exact same model on Amazon.de is 3.931,62DKK (~€527). So I can save €153 AND get all the protection of the EU by buying it from an EU site rather than a US one. 

Chalk this one up to experience and stick to your local continent for the best savings. 

You still get the EU protection even buying from newegg in the USA. The OP just needs to push the issue and file all the required complaints.

Often you're lucky if companies even accept returns at all for anything that isn't flat out DoA or the wrong item.

Home desktop: AMD FX-6350 CPU, AMD 7950 GPU, 12GB DDR3 RAM, 2x250GB SSD (RAID 0) for main drive, 1TB HDD for extra storage, Windows 10

Work desktop: Intel Q8400 core 2 quad CPU, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS Rev 2 GPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD for main drive, 250GB HDD for extra storage, Linux Mint 18.3

Personal Laptop: Lenovo W540; bought a used workstation laptop on eBay that just needed a hard drive for half of what they were going for in working order at the time. Intel i7 vPro, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SSD