Marko Fowles

Newegg's illegal return practices

Your purchase from a US company is subject to US consumer protection law regardless of where the product is being shipped to. US law includes restocking fees and suchlike, EU law doesn't. Since you bought the product from a US company, you have thereby accepted that your purchase is subject to US consumer protection law. Thus the company isn't at fault here. 

On 03/09/2018 at 5:58 PM, JoostinOnline said:

Yeah, for stores in Europe.  Newegg is in the US.

It's like I'm talking to 9-year-old brick wall though, so I'm not going to keep entertaining this.

If a company sells an item to a customer in Europe, then they must abide by EU consumer rights and import law when shipping to that country in the EU, otherwise they should have declined the sale to begin with.

It's really not complicated. Just like some websites now refuse traffic from EU countries as a result of recent GDPR laws implemented by the EU.

So let me get this straight...you bought a Vega 64 from Newegg. A week later you noticed that AMD was offering a promo code for 3 free games and decided to see if Newegg would be generous enough to provide you with the promo code even though you purchased it outside of the promotional time period. So what exactly is wrong with the Vega 64 that makes you want to return it? Also what day was it that you contacted them about the promo code and then when you contacted them again requesting the refund?

On 9/14/2018 at 7:29 PM, Angel102 said:

If a company sells an item to a customer in Europe, then they must abide by EU consumer rights and import law when shipping to that country in the EU, otherwise they should have declined the sale to begin with.

It's really not complicated. Just like some websites now refuse traffic from EU countries as a result of recent GDPR laws implemented by the EU.

1) That's not necessarily true.

2) The irony is that I live in the US and have never had to pay them a stocking fee. It's likely his entitled attitude. Because customer service is used to demanding people making them feel like crap, being nice to them often results in them actually giving you gift cards. Last time I talked to customer service on Newegg I said I realized it was my fault and apologized for taking up her time. She gave me $5 free credit.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  How to build a gaming PC for $400US or less   |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

2) The irony is that I live in the US and have never had to pay them a stocking fee. It's likely his entitled attitude. Because customer service is used to demanding people making them feel like crap, being nice to them often results in them actually giving you gift cards. Last time I talked to customer service on Newegg I said I realized it was my fault and apologized for taking up her time. She gave me $5 free credit.

SOOOOOO much this...when I worked in Customer Service and people were assholes I looked for every possible means that I could to basically tell them to go pound sand.

It would always devolve into them going "well I'll just take my business elsewhere" to which I would always think "PLEASE GOD LET THIS PERSON SPEAK THE TRUTH!!!!"

12 hours ago, imreloadin said:

So let me get this straight...you bought a Vega 64 from Newegg. A week later you noticed that AMD was offering a promo code for 3 free games and decided to see if Newegg would be generous enough to provide you with the promo code even though you purchased it outside of the promotional time period. So what exactly is wrong with the Vega 64 that makes you want to return it? Also what day was it that you contacted them about the promo code and then when you contacted them again requesting the refund?

under EU law you don't need to give any reason for a product return within 14 days.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

4 hours ago, Angel102 said:

under EU law you don't need to give any reason for a product return within 14 days.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

If that's the case why is he bitching about it here instead of contacting the proper authorities to get his case reviewed?

If I was Newegg I'd simply not ship to the EU for crap like this or strictly not offer any kinds of promotions because you have people like this guy who gets salty that he bought something outside of a promotion window and expects them to "bend to his will" or risk having him refund the full purchase plus refund the costs of shipping the item both ways. I see that as a form of extortion and wouldn't put up with that shit if I was the owner of a company.

Some traders may not charge you for returning the goods. However, the trader should inform you if you have to pay the costs of returning the goods. If they don't inform you that you must pay for your return, the trader will have to pay the cost of your return. You don't have to pay any other charges that you were not informed of.

Source from @Angel102's post: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Not sure what the problem is...Newegg was even willing to negotiate the restocking fee lower...

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

You also are disqualified by AMD for not being a US resident for the program.

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/raise-the-game

Click on Footnotes:

*Offer available through participating retailers only. Following purchase, Coupon Code must be redeemed by December 31, 2018, after which coupon is void.  Residency and additional limitations apply. For full Terms & Conditions, visit www.amdrewards.com.

Campaign period begins August 7, 2018 and ends November 3, 2018 or when supply of Coupon Codes is exhausted, whichever occurs first. Eligible AMD Product must be purchased during Campaign Period. Offer void where prohibited.

On 16/09/2018 at 7:16 PM, Razor Blade said:

Source from @Angel102's post: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

Not sure what the problem is...Newegg was even willing to negotiate the restocking fee lower...

postage fee and a restocking fee are 2 separate costs, and the restocking fee is illegal under EU law.

On 8/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, Marko Fowles said:

But like i said, lesson learned, not buying anything anymore from Newegg nor the US.

Well time for Canadian companies to shine!