German website PCGamesHardware tests the RTX 2080 Ti on Tomb Raider with a WIP implementation of ray tracing: 1080p at 30-60FPS

D13H4RD

I want to mention that Jensen Huang always said: "... in the future..."

So RTX 20-Series is only the start line for Realtime Ray tracing.

The other thing is that game developer/publisher won't force you to use Realtime Ray tracing because there will be more users with graphics cards which don't support the new feature.

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

They showed a bit during the event and its on their site somewhere but its very minimal. Reflection in cars, eyes, etc...Its cool and looks good but its not night and day.

The problem is someone on reddit was already crying pay to win as you can see reflection behind you and around corners. 

Yeah gimp fps for that situational reflection. I would say it would likely hinder more than help in that situation. 

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

They showed a bit during the event and its on their site somewhere but its very minimal. Reflection in cars, eyes, etc...Its cool and looks good but its not night and day.

The problem is someone on reddit was already crying pay to win as you can see reflection behind you and around corners. 

Even after watching the entire video I have only really seen what call an improvement on the damp bricks, all other parts are hardly noticeable. It is quite disappointing to see this in the main TWISMTBP (NVIDIA loves acronyms seemingly) and in an open world single player game, the same in Battlefield would only be seen if you went out of your way to find a puddle to look at (even then BF4 has rather good reflections).

Maybe those people should think about it first. You are cutting down the resolution heavily as well as dropping the framerate to sub 60fps levels for the ability to use that one car door on that one map in one situation to predict if someone is coming at a distance at which you could already hear footsteps. Short of a fight in a mirror factory nothing is going to change.

If that's with a 2080 Ti, then I imagine the 2070 is unable, seeing as it has 40% less RT ability.

At some level, this isn't surprising. It's a brand new implementation of technology that's going to need years of programming development work.

23 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

If that's with a 2080 Ti, then I imagine the 2070 is unable, seeing as it has 40% less RT ability.

At some level, this isn't surprising. It's a brand new implementation of technology that's going to need years of programming development work.

To be fair this is super early implementation, they wont even ship the game with RTX so we may see some godlike optimizations, or almost nothing by the time they patch it in. This is brand new technology so it's hard to say

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

22 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

To be fair this is super early implementation, they wont even ship the game with RTX so we may see some godlike optimizations, or almost nothing by the time they patch it in. This is brand new technology so it's hard to say

I wouldn't expect them to figure things out really well until at least 2020. The parallel work-flow stuff means there's entirely new considerations & bottlenecks to work through.

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I wouldn't expect them to figure things out really well until at least 2020. The parallel work-flow stuff means there's entirely new considerations & bottlenecks to work through.

Check box in nvidia control panel like physix? Along with in game option too is what I'm thinking

9 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Check box in nvidia control panel like physix? Along with in game option too is what I'm thinking

Likely to be an in-game option like hairworks or Nvidia PCSS, I don't imagine you can force it through the control panel

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Someone told me 2070 is aimed for 4K. kek. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

Likely to be an in-game option like hairworks or Nvidia PCSS, I don't imagine you can force it through the control panel

Either way is fine

I could see it now enough cuda cores too run games 240 plus fps at 720/1080p

Rt cores and enough tensor for ray

tracing effects then more tensor to upscale to which ever resolution you want

17 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

There was a discussion on these forums about whether we hit a wall with how games can look like and whether more fps + more k in resolution is the only thing that can be upgraded now.

Turns out it isn't. Ray Tracing may need some time to mature as technology but it's the future and it genuinely looks better but it does not surprise me that it takes such a hit when enabled.

The first RTX generation might be a bit too soon with such performance loss but I much prefer this direction - new tech that makes games look better instead of just going for 5-8k resolution. 

Well, we did not hit a wall without RT. Game developers could still add more poligons and make higher resolution textures.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Games that will do RT now, will not do full RT, but selective/not full RT. From what I have seen, that what Shadow of the thomb raider will do.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

This begs the question - is the difference even worth the performance hit? Even if the final performance is doubled, who's going to spend 1200$ to play at 1080p?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 hours ago, NovaMan01 said:

is ray-tracing the new Crysis of the decade? (imagine fi Crysis supported ray tracing that would be the ultimate benchmark)

Crysis doesn't need to support raytracing.
Raytracing needs to support Crysis! 

;)xD

18 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

will be using very high end monitors as well, like 1080p 240Hz

Sounds like you have different taste to me when calling something a high end monitor. To me a high end monitor is high colour accuracy, high resolution, uniform brightness, high static contrast ratio etc which a 1080p 240Hz monitor will always fail at (currently) :(. Personally I'd call the above fast trash xD.

Ray tracing is cool but I can't see it mattering to me to much.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

9 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Definitely. It needs more time and work. 

This is only a step. The pace of development would probably accelerate after RTX's release 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1