Steam Caching Tutorial

jakkuh_t

Getting an error when attempting to add the steam cache container. I want to it connect to my local address, as everyone seems to be doing, but Docker has it's own network.

Status: Downloaded newer image for steamcache/generic:latest
faaad4057c324766b871b486e97855d30c2148e4e6ca7ad8dfbd665e4a13a16d
docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint steam-cache (dbe1580244f66a708bc667397dce964fbe3460168d1708e33d278e206df500a8): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 192.168.0.31:80: bind: cannot assign requested address.

anyone have a fix for this?

Hi Everyone,

I have built a cache server following these steps quite some time ago. Everything worked back then. I tested steam and origin mainly. Today I had to change the physical nic config. Before that it was everything on one nic, but today I changed it to 2 nics. 1 for management teamspeak etc and the second for all the cache server ip addresses. Dedicated for caching only. Steam works splendidly while origin doesn't do anything. Has anyone had this problem? If I look at the origin logs I get no HITs or MISSes either. It's like it doesn't work. The config is exactly the same. Tomorrow I will try to revert the nic settings but I fear that it will be the same. Basically my question: DOES ORIGIN STILL WORK FOR ANYONE ELSE?

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,

Push 

18 hours ago, Pushkin755 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have built a cache server following these steps quite some time ago. Everything worked back then. I tested steam and origin mainly. Today I had to change the physical nic config. Before that it was everything on one nic, but today I changed it to 2 nics. 1 for management teamspeak etc and the second for all the cache server ip addresses. Dedicated for caching only. Steam works splendidly while origin doesn't do anything. Has anyone had this problem? If I look at the origin logs I get no HITs or MISSes either. It's like it doesn't work. The config is exactly the same. Tomorrow I will try to revert the nic settings but I fear that it will be the same. Basically my question: DOES ORIGIN STILL WORK FOR ANYONE ELSE? 

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,

Push 

Even with the original nic settings, the origin-cache container's access log does not generate any HIT or MISS lines or anything else for that matter. Does Origin work from anyone else? Here is my docker config.

docker config.txt

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 4:00 PM, Pushkin755 said:

Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance,

Cheers,

Push 

Yeah ORIGIN IS NO GO

I spent the whole morning stoping removing pulling all new updates for all containers and trying out  steamcache lancache lancachenet dns snipproxy and all variants of containers and  ORIGIN DOES NOT WORK

EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS

so i guess origin did something ;/

I'm a total newb when it comes to Linux but have been able to get to the point in this tutorial (thanks very much for this btw) where I start up docker containers.

How do I point to my network shares?

-v /home/USERNAME/cache/steam/data:/data/cache \

I plan on having my data stored on my windows shared drives, I have a 4TB dedicated drive just for caching.

My network share is on //192.168.1.200/steamcache

I managed to get it so I can see it in the Ubuntu file explorer. But what to do next? 

And can someone please explain what this path means?

-v /home/USERNAME/cache/steam/data:/data/cache \

what is the /data/cache on the right side of the : for?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys thanks for this it works, but i have a dilemma. I have the server running on my laptop but what if my laptop suddenly turns off to a power cut etc will i have to set it up all again or does the server start on its own when i turn on my laptop and log in to ubuntu? Please respond asap please

2 hours ago, STARTERPCBUIDLER said:

Hi guys thanks for this it works, but i have a dilemma. I have the server running on my laptop but what if my laptop suddenly turns off to a power cut etc will i have to set it up all again or does the server start on its own when i turn on my laptop and log in to ubuntu? Please respond asap please

It should start up again!

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

@jakkuh_t we are going to host a Lan tournament with 217 PC. What do you think we should use as a hardware for the caching?

What kind of hardware is recommended for a steam cache?
Can i set it up on an older i5 with 8gb ram and X amount of storage? What have you guys tried?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Any chance someone could help me with a high level series of steps to set up the Steam cache on a Windows Server?

I'm pretty confused and it seems most of the literature on this deals with Ubuntu and although some people seem to be running that on top of a Windows system, I don't see anything that really explains how best to accomplish that.

What is the best way to run this off a Windows server? If running in a VM does that slow everything down? Is there a way to run it outside of a VM... I'm lost

Thanks!

I just recently followed this tutorial and setup the caching server successfully on my old pc, using ubuntu.

downloading games does redirect fine to 2nd pc and cache them but download speeds are mega slow, averages around 1mpbs, but if i disable the caching server i get around 30-40mbps

anyone any idea why the caching machine is limited to 1mbps?

31 minutes ago, ApexModder said:

I just recently followed this tutorial and setup the caching server successfully on my old pc, using ubuntu.

downloading games does redirect fine to 2nd pc and cache them but download speeds are mega slow, averages around 1mpbs, but if i disable the caching server i get around 30-40mbps

anyone any idea why the caching machine is limited to 1mbps?

What's you disk io and CPU look like while it's being used?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

18 minutes ago, unijab said:

What's you disk io and CPU look like while it's being used?

low ram / cpu usage according to the system monitor app

Screenshot from 2019-09-20 00-35-27.png

So, do i need to install linux on the raid or can i have it on a seperate ssd while having raid 0 hdd where the caching happends?

@Pushkin755 , @BearPigs , @friendevil11

Origin games cannot be Cached right now.

They are working together (more or less) with the LanCache-Team to get it working again. 

However someone got it to work with Fiddler (click), but thats client sided.

For more informations: 

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/Origin-using-HTTPS-for-Downloads/td-p/7989098

Hey guys I've searched now for about 2 houres and doesn't found a clue -> so here is my question:

is there any possible way, to update those game images automatically?

I want to build a workaround for my bad internetspeed with a linux server, that can preload all needed images (from steam, origin, uplay, windows updates).I hoped to fix it with the docker steamcache server. 

So is there any chance to get those files automatically updated while I don't need them?

Thanks!

Tim

If I setup a caching server, to cache all the services, this includes steam, origin, battle.net etc. for the DNS on the client side, will that DNS needs changing if I want to grab stuff of a different service?

Let's say I'm doing some steam downloads (Already cached) , but want to switch over to a battle.net game (Also already cached) should the DNS on the client side change to the IP of the battle.net service or will it work just fine with the steamcahe IP?

Thanks in advance!

Jannes 

How would I add another docker instance for Rockstar Game Launcher?

lancache@server:~$ sudo docker run \
>   --restart unless-stopped -d \
>   --name steam-cache \
>   -v /home/lancache/cache/steam/data:/data/cache \
>   -v /home/lancache/cache/steam/logs:/data/logs \
>   -p 192.168.1.10:80:80 \
>   steamcache/generic:latest
Unable to find image 'steamcache/generic:latest' locally
latest: Pulling from steamcache/generic
f476d66f5408: Pull complete
8882c27f669e: Pull complete
d9af21273955: Pull complete
f5029279ec12: Pull complete
1e8af46d9bf3: Pull complete
6154495ad33c: Pull complete
161c45a97819: Pull complete
2adf59127eaf: Pull complete
0f3bcd330ffb: Pull complete
72c5e909b744: Pull complete
ab97a2a4e841: Pull complete
6e787d8b47ff: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:c6d1ebc06cac0bcde74cc6e18c539044d9e176cf6c7da3658a8732b1cc9a2974
Status: Downloaded newer image for steamcache/generic:latest
145565ec9f21489e14fb2cfbf7437e85671524a0b4123769414f36dba2de2f6f
docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint steam-cache (cd14c3324a98181c324657f1a2e49be8b6a2c352ef4070efe09989e9f6aea10e): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 192.168.1.10:80: bind: address already in use.
lancache@server:~$

I have this problem can anyone help me?

Hi I am just wondering I'd like to make a Steam Cache Server but don't have a spare pc but I do have a raspberry pi 3B can I add a 1 TB hard drive to it and upload linux to it and use it as a Cache Server will this work??

My steam cache system was working yesterday but nevermind... It was hardware issue. It's solved now

On 10/25/2019 at 10:13 AM, Mark_Baxt said:

Hi I am just wondering I'd like to make a Steam Cache Server but don't have a spare pc but I do have a raspberry pi 3B can I add a 1 TB hard drive to it and upload linux to it and use it as a Cache Server will this work??

Yes it would work.

But if the pi set up ends up being slower than your internet connection then it would be pointless. The pi3 Ethernet port and USB ports share a controller... So max speed you might see would probably be under 500Mbps from the rpi

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone find solution for the performance issue? Steam downloads from cache are something like 0-10Mbps. eg. Blizzard downloads are working fine. CPU, memory and disc usage on cache server are very low...

I tried every tweaking guide what I found, but still no improvement on download speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently attempting to setup a server with Lancache/generic on windows 10 with Ubuntu installed through the Win 10 store (because the system has win10 home installed), at the moment Docker Daemon is throwing errors with OCI runtime complaining that container_linux.go:346 is failing.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!