Twitch Prime Ends Ad-Free Viewing for Prime Users, citing "Opportunity for Creators"

TVwazhere

Can we stop suggesting that people screw over Twitch streamers by running ad blockers, please?  I know you want to stick it to Amazon, but you're hurting everyday people who in many cases are barely making a decent living by streaming.    And they're not about to switch to Mixer just because you can't stand a 30-second promo.

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Can we stop suggesting that people screw over Twitch streamers by running ad blockers, please?  I know you want to stick it to Amazon, but you're hurting everyday people who in many cases are barely making a decent living by streaming.    And they're not about to switch to Mixer just because you can't stand a 30-second promo.

Lul we don't want them to switch to mixer anyways, or even hitbox. We want amazon to provide the benefits they promised at launch

Edit: Oh hitbox is now smashcast? ok then

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

Lul we don't want them to switch to mixer anyways, or even hitbox. We want amazon to provide the benefits they promised at launch

I understand, but it's still wrong to insist that your desire to avoid ads is more important than a streamer's need to make a living.  Watch the ads or go to another service; there are no other morally acceptable options.

Just now, Commodus said:

I understand, but it's still morally wrong to insist that your desire to avoid ads is more important than a streamer's need to make a living.

>morally wrong

aaaand i'm out

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

14 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I understand, but it's still wrong to insist that your desire to avoid ads is more important than a streamer's need to make a living.  Watch the ads or go to another service; there are no other morally acceptable options.

There are a lot of people out there that would rather pay a subscription to avoid ads. But in today's society premium memberships are a drop in the bucket compared to ad revenue. Not really to the content creator but the hosting company. It really wouldn't surprise me if the real reason was advertisers may have gotten butt hurt by twitch prime shutting their ads down.

Unrelated to the topic but in the subject of advertising... Just the other day I was filling my vehicle with fuel and the pump actually started playing ads. Not only did it prompt me to leave the pump filling while I stepped into my vehicle, It actually deterred me from going inside and buying a soft drink or bag of chips (the opposite intended effect). I do not want to support a company that insists to blatantly bombard me with ads.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Commodus said:

a streamer's need to make a living

That is why many choose to subscribe instead of adblock... 9_9 If they gonna play dirty dont blame the user base for countering it in a similar manner.

12 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

There are a lot of people out there that would rather pay a subscription to avoid ads. But in today's society premium memberships are a drop in the bucket compared to ad revenue. Not really to the content creator but the hosting company.

Unrelated to the topic but in the subject of advertising... Just the other day I was filling my vehicle with fuel and the pump actually started playing ads. Not only did it prompt me to leave the pump filling while I stepped into my vehicle, It actually deterred me from going inside and buying a soft drink or bag of chips (the opposite intended effect). I do not want to support a company that insists to blatantly bombard me with ads.

Actually not, paying $10 is far more money that you'd be worth in terms of ad revenue.  Each view you make is probably worth a fraction of a cent so even if you were watching 50 videos a day every day for a month you'd be "worth" a couple bucks tops.

I run a iron dome of ad blocking because I don't give a fuck about people making money from ads.  There's plenty of suckers who don't run ad blockers who cover my share of ad revenue.  It's like the argument "well if no one voted then Mickey Mouse would win the presidency" when you say you don't vote....sure it's true in theory, but in practice it'll never happen so it's a moot point.  For every 1 person running ad block, there's 20 that aren't.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Actually not, paying $10 is far more money that you'd be worth in terms of ad revenue.  Each view you make is probably worth a fraction of a cent so even if you were watching 50 videos a day every day for a month you'd be "worth" a couple bucks tops.

I run a iron dome of ad blocking because I don't give a fuck about people making money from ads.  There's plenty of suckers who don't run ad blockers who cover my share of ad revenue.  It's like the argument "well if no one voted then Mickey Mouse would win the presidency" when you say you don't vote....sure it's true in theory, but in practice it'll never happen so it's a moot point.

To a content creator yes. But to the hosting company... if an ad company (marketing companies, not one specific entity or producer of goods and services) decided not to proceed with an ad contract because your viewership (of ads) isn't meeting their desired numbers...your (consumer) premium membership means jack.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Honestly, I'm seeing less and less the benefit of Amazon Prime. These changes to Twitch Prime basically turn what I thought was an acceptable service to something I can no longer support.

If Amazon doesn't reverse this decision, I'm probably gonna cancel my Amazon Prime sub by the end of the year.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

52 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

That is why many choose to subscribe instead of adblock... 9_9 If they gonna play dirty dont blame the user base for countering it in a similar manner.

But it's not playing dirty.  You can say it's a bad move, that it may steer people away from Prime or toward other services, but it's clean.  Using an unofficial tool that cheats streamers out of their revenue?  That's dirty.

Besides, what did your parents teach you growing up?  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Just because you feel angry doesn't mean you're entitled to do whatever you want in response to that anger.

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

But it's not playing dirty.  You can say it's a bad move, that it may steer people away from Prime or toward other services, but it's clean.  Using an unofficial tool that cheats streamers out of their revenue?  That's dirty.

Besides, what did your parents teach you growing up?  Two wrongs don't make a right.

If I am paying for a premium service that promises not to serve me ads then later decides to change the service to serve me ads anyway, that is unacceptable IMO. Whether it is people sick and tired of ads using ad block, or people sick and tired of the ads deciding to no longer consume content of that platform...the only losing party is the content creator.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Each view you make is probably worth a fraction of a cent so even if you were watching 50 videos a day every day for a month you'd be "worth" a couple bucks tops.

And that is the exact reason why I have no problem blocking ads that I would not click on anyway. Even if I see an ad for something that I want, I'd rather go direct to the site as it's bad practice to click on unknown links

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

No ads was literally the only reason why I started paying for Twitch Prime. And while I have enjoyed a couple of games they gave, damn, if they come back to super annoying, extremely loud and way too repetitive and irrelevant ads once again, fuck em, I'll finally install uBlock. GAH!

I'd rather get no advertising that given free games I'll never play...

And I think ads should be up to the creators, that way I can watch and support the ones who don't becomes advertisement oriented fucks.

1 hour ago, Razor Blade said:

If I am paying for a premium service that promises not to serve me ads then later decides to change the service to serve me ads anyway, that is unacceptable IMO. Whether it is people sick and tired of ads using ad block, or people sick and tired of the ads deciding to no longer consume content of that platform...the only losing party is the content creator.

You can certainly find that unacceptable -- just don't insist that you have a right to watch without ads.  It's like stealing from a store because they stopped giving something away as a freebie with your purchase.  Losing the freebie sucks, but you aren't entitled to steal it just because you 'feel' it should be free.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

This may sound rude, but I value my time far, far more than their ability to make a few cents off of me watching ads on their streams.

26 minutes ago, Commodus said:

You can certainly find that unacceptable -- just don't insist that you have a right to watch without ads.  It's like stealing from a store because they stopped giving something away as a freebie with your purchase.  Losing the freebie sucks, but you aren't entitled to steal it just because you 'feel' it should be free.

jumping-the-shark.jpg

48 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Ad free feature is not giving anything away. It was a feature, an incentive to sign up for twitch prime. Now Amazon is taking that feature away. That is why people are upset. You also can't compare ad block to shoplifting. Ad block isn't against the law. If the community supports a streamer there are many ways to do it without subjecting yourself to intrusive, annoying, and in some cases malicious ads.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's not really anybody else's problem but their own they decided to choose an unreliable and volatile method of making money

im guessing this just applies to ads that streamers choose to play during their broadcasts and isnt those ads that play every time you go into a stream. if thats the case then i dont really have a problem with it. usually streamers play those ads when they take a water break or some other time when nothing is happening and i dont mind watching an ad at that time because it doesnt affect me and helps the streamer. if a streamer abuses it then they are probably the type of streamer i dont want to watch anyways

3 hours ago, Commodus said:
5 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

Except it was a service that people paid for. Getting prime was for many people to remove ads so they could enjoy people's content WITHOUT interruptions. Many people subscribe for the same. This isn't a freebie on top of something, it's a service that people paid for and now they expect people to still pay while not getting that service.

4 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's more along the lines of paying for Netflix because they don't have ads, then Netflix deciding that they're going to start adding ads in between shows and charging you the same

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

meh, I'm only there for the games, only show I watch are the warframe devstreams, once upon a time also the wan show, but they're always late and staying awake till 2AM waiting is tiresome. 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The thing I hate the most is how they try and present it like they're doing for the creators and not because they personally want to generate more money for themselves. If they were more honest it would not bother me the way it does. Creators were getting loads of benefits anyways from all the twitch prime subs so it's clear that twitch is only doing this because they saw that they were personally not making as much money as they would like

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Opera addblock ftw

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |