Downloading Games at 10 GIGABIT?

jakkuh_t

We finally upgrade our setup in hope to allow all of our writers to download games at the same time, with speeds upwards of 10 gigabit.

Buy Corsair SSDs:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/l4oz
On Newegg: http://geni.us/kuBr

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Needs moar speed :P

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This is very similar to my project. I moved some common games to a server with 10gbe and then installed a 10gbe switch and lan cards in some of my machines. I then put the games on the raid 0 ssd's on the server and setup mapped drives on the other machines and pointed steam or w/e to them.

In the end I got performance similar to the ssd's they have locally. I mean if the game took 12 seconds to launch on an ssd it took about 15-17 this way, but still way faster than an HDD and I saved a lot of space all around.

Now on the internet side, which is what I initially thought this was more about without a caching(proxy) system. I have a gigabit connection and even to places like steam I very seldom can get more than say 60MBps, which is about half what I can do. I run in to that problem in most places, they just do not offer up files at speeds that can saturate my connection.

> be me

> HS6Zf1D.jpg

> existence-is_pain.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Could this be used to cache other streaming services like Netflix?

We often watch the same shows multiple times by different users in the household and it would be pretty amazing to cache these recently watched shows and to even in theory watch some content when the internet goes down momentarily?

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

> be me

> HS6Zf1D.jpg

> existence-is_pain.jpg

Oh wow - You are also still running XP mate?

5 minutes ago, valiente said:

Oh wow - You are also still running XP mate?

Just 7 with the xp theme, it's my NAS screen

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Caching vs Cashing...

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

13 minutes ago, ifconfig said:

Where are the links to the docker tutorial and the steamcache setup guide?

^^^ I always look for the links but they're never there... (like on the Linux GPI PCIe passthrough to Windows vid..)

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

the video they keep referencing

Edited by Desertpunk
spelling mistake

I'm using lancache on my own game cafe and yes it's a very very complicated setup on freebsd (installing nginx and other packages, adding ip, configuring dns, editing a lot of configuration files) but it works. I'll give a try using steamcache, it looks very much simpler.

Dude I'm paying a significant amount for my internet and boasting about 1 MBPS speeds. 

5 minutes ago, Booleanfeeder said:

Is that a custom grafana skin for the stats endpoint?

It's Netdata :D

https://my-netdata.io/

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

50 minutes ago, andrii1812 said:

Also you can try docker-compose. Instead of launching each container from the text file you write yaml config once and then just fire: 

docker-compose up

https://docs.docker.com/compose/gettingstarted/#step-3-define-services-in-a-compose-file

Did exactly that.

Grab the attached file and just run:

docker-compose up -d

and all containers will boot up. The cache dir will be created in the same dir. You can change that by changing the ./data parts to another (absolute) path.

Change the IPs according to your Network.

Note: I just used the example from the video. But the windows-cache is not available anymore in the current versions of the image.
Instead they have added a few other. Here a complete list

• apple
  • arenanet
  • blizzard
  • daybreak
  • frontier
  • gog
  • hirez
  • minecraft
  • nexusmod
  • nintendo
  • origin
  • riot
  • rockstar
  • sony
  • steam
  • twitch
  • uplay
  • wargaming
  • wsus
  • xboxlive

Just copy one of the last blocks and rename accordingly. And then add an entry beneith the environment-part of the dns-service.

docker-compose.yml

Edited by AliGinBerlin
Added more tips for easy access.

So I tried this in a Docker on Unraid but the max speed I can seem to download at is 35 MBps. More Commonly around 25 MBps. I installed it a bit differently than the guide. I installed using the Community Applications plugin and following the directions there. I am also running Hard Disks rather than Raid0 SSDs so I understand that I might not be able to saturate the gigabit connection but It seems like it should still be faster. 

I am running the following.

Unraid 6.5.3

16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 Memory

3  8TB Ironwolf Drives with 1 acting as parity.

1 128 GB SSD Corsair Force 3 or something I dont remember exactly.

Asus p8z77-v motherboard

Just share an entire steam library folder as a network share, the game files are generic, just copy straight over to your own, no cpu core limitations;)

Again with the misuse of "bottlenecking". Ugh....

Multiple people trying to download games at the same time -- attempting to access the same network resource at the same time -- is called CONTENTION! With all the networking stuff you've done on that channel, I'm surprised you and your writers couldn't keep your terms straight...

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

11 hours ago, GumblesGrambles said:

Just share an entire steam library folder as a network share, the game files are generic, just copy straight over to your own, no cpu core limitations;)

This is what I was thinking (and have done,including traveling to a families home), esp if you are like me with almost every steam game downloaded.

Honestly, I would be more into seeing you taking it a step-down, and making it run on a smaller setup like a qnap nas or similar. Most of those can run a docker image, and is both affordable for the average user or even something they already own. Go big or go home projects can be cool but are hard to relate to, so perhaps a budget challenge instead... or both..

Can someone help me understand this?  Or let me know if I'm understanding it correctly?

Basically download something (at normal speed) into your own storage so that you then can put in on a different local machine later on at a higher speed than you can download from source?

Cool to do... but really only useful for LAN parties where people do not already have the game that will be played at said LAN party which would be odd to begin with?

@thedude4bides You pretty much got the main use for it! That's mentioned on the github as well that its primarily for LAN events and for popular games, yeah most people will have it. One spot where is can shine though is, say there is an unexpected game that any number of people want to play, normally everyone would then need to download it from the Internet, since they didn't expect to play it at the event. With this set up, once one person downloads it from the internet, everyone else immediately pulls from the cache, so anyone who wants it after the one person downloaded it can grab it at the cache speeds.

@Norrah By default, this can be scaled down as far as you like :) I set it up in my location (mainly just to try it out as an experiment) and the set up its on it an older computer hooked into a router, which then runs to a switch and then to several computers. No need for any fancy equipment as the magic is in the software itself, equipment just lets you reach higher speeds (which makes more of a difference especially if you already have a great internet connection, since you might already be getting ~25MBps for example).