Will this work well

MrSuper
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
On 8/19/2018 at 5:56 AM, MrSuper said:

I need to run an Ethernet connection and improve the WiFi signal in an area of my house. It's around 30m away from the router. I have a gigabit connection. I'm going to have my PC in that area soon so I will need Ethernet so my PC can utilize the full gigabit download. Also I'll need an Ethernet WiFi extender to transfer the data reliably to other devices nearby.

What is the best, cheapest and most efficient way of having this done, while only running one 30m Ethernet cable over there?

Is there a product that can act as a WiFi extender as well as an Ethernet passthrough?

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Honestly here are the options I would consider.

1) Run the cable and connect it to a WiFi router in AP mode. The LAN ports should be able to work and you will have wireless

2) Run the cable and connect it to a switch and buy a separate AP. 

3) Option 1 or 2 but use a power line adapter to get the wired connection where you need it.

4) Option 1 or 2 but use a moca adapter to get the wired connection where you need it.

I need to run an Ethernet connection and improve the WiFi signal in an area of my house. It's around 30m away from the router. I have a gigabit connection. I'm going to have my PC in that area soon so I will need Ethernet so my PC can utilize the full gigabit download. Also I'll need an Ethernet WiFi extender to transfer the data reliably to other devices nearby.

What is the best, cheapest and most efficient way of having this done, while only running one 30m Ethernet cable over there?

Is there a product that can act as a WiFi extender as well as an Ethernet passthrough?

29 minutes ago, MrSuper said:

Powerline adapters?

I may be wrong.

8 minutes ago, Altruist said:

Powerline adapters?

Is there any limitations to those?  I know my house is separated  into two meters, side 1 and side 2. If the one end is connected to side 1 where the router is will it still pick up the signal if the other end is connected to side 2?

Typically needs to be the same circuit, seems likely both sides are on different breakers?  If so, not a good case for powerline.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

21 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Typically needs to be the same circuit, seems likely both sides are on different breakers?  If so, not a good case for powerline.

Not necessarily the same circuit, but they don't like to be separated at the meter level for sure, also they don't like surge protectors 

1 hour ago, skippytheturtle said:

Not necessarily the same circuit, but they don't like to be separated at the meter level for sure, also they don't like surge protectors 

Your mileage may vary though, some people report their breakers killing the signal, others it just slows down a little.  Either way its asking a lot to get Gigabit over anything but plain ethernet.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 8/19/2018 at 5:56 AM, MrSuper said:

Honestly here are the options I would consider.

1) Run the cable and connect it to a WiFi router in AP mode. The LAN ports should be able to work and you will have wireless

2) Run the cable and connect it to a switch and buy a separate AP. 

3) Option 1 or 2 but use a power line adapter to get the wired connection where you need it.

4) Option 1 or 2 but use a moca adapter to get the wired connection where you need it.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Belgiangurista said:

Wireless Access Point Multi Port. 

I wouldn't bother with this shenanigans and would just roll a switch in addition to the AP.

Some APs like the Unifi AC-Pro have a secondary bridge port, however.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

8 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Your mileage may vary though, some people report their breakers killing the signal, others it just slows down a little.  Either way its asking a lot to get Gigabit over anything but plain ethernet.

The newer standard for Power Line adapters is suppose to remedy the situation. The Original spec however was as you said, one circuit only. I guess now they use all 3 wires and that suppose to make things better and faster. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

35 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The newer standard for Power Line adapters is suppose to remedy the situation. The Original spec however was as you said, one circuit only. I guess now they use all 3 wires and that suppose to make things better and faster. 

That makes sense, as only live will go through the breaker with the rest commoned, unless you are on an RCD/GFI or a different phase.