Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spork829

Board needs to be powered off for hours before starting?

Posted · Original PosterOP

My home server/NAS/mining machine is running an old ASUS H81 OEM board. I have this issue wherein whenever I power it off, it won't start back up. Power button does nothing at all. The only fix is to shut off the power supply and wait around at least 5 hours from when I've had the chance to test it, usually I just give it overnight. In the morning I flip the PSU back on and it starts without fail. This isn't much of an issue because I run it 24/7, so this only comes up occasionally when I shut it down to clean it out or change out a part. But it's still kind of annoying, and I want to know why it's happening; I really have no clue. What do you guys think?

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

1 hour ago, LePips said:

Soldering problems? (Just guessing here)

It would take more than the work it's worth to pop the board out and check for cold solder joints, but maybe. Though I don't know why giving it time would be a consistent solution in that case.

10 hours ago, Everything Major said:

Yes, He said it is old. Therefore there might be solder joint problems.

To be clear, it's not ancient. The machine it came in was used so I don't know exactly when it was new, but it came with a Haswell chip in it, so can't be older than 2013.

Something else to note is that when I boot it back up, the Windows clock is always set to the time when I shut it down, which I can fix by unchecking then re-checking the "set time automatically" option in Windows. This would seem to indicate a problem with the CMOS battery, but upon further testing, BIOS settings and such do seem to stay saved.