Audeze Cipher V1 vs V2 Cables - Sound Different?

Belgarathian

Hi Team,

I've ordered a spare Cipher cable from Audeze while shopping for some extra parts, and headphones because the shipping to NZ is so god-damn expensive. 

Thought I'd try out the new Cipher V2 cable against my metal/ribbon cable V1. Well damn, the V2 sounds grainy, more muddled, and less transparent. Anyone else having a similar experience moving from the Cipher V1 to the Cipher V2? 

Is it the new DAC or AMP they're using?

I'm using Audeze iSine 20. 

From an electrical standpoint, the only way I can see cables having distorted or colored sound is if they can't handle the current. Which in a headphone is very small.. 

Just my .02

CPU: i7-5820k (4.7GHz/1.292V)                             RAM: Cruital Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4                                Case: NZXT H440 Razer Sound: SVS Ultra Bookshelves / SVS SB13-Ultra / Marantz SR7008

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3                                         Storage: Samsung 840 Evo (500GB)  + WD Black (1TB)    PSU: EVGA G2-1000        M/KB: Razer Ouroboros / Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 

Mobo: MSI X99S Sli Plus                                         GPU: EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid                                     OS: Windows 10               Monitor: BenQ XL2720Z / Asus PG348Q

On 8/18/2018 at 3:45 AM, Reckless95 said:

From an electrical standpoint, the only way I can see cables having distorted or colored sound is if they can't handle the current. Which in a headphone is very small.. 

Just my .02

Agree. Thought I'd ask the question though as some people swear by it. 

I'm almost sure it's the new in-line DAC, which is superbly disappointing but ehh. What can you do?

• 1 year later...

The Cipher v2 cable has different tuning. Both cables have active DSP meant for correcting specific headphone models like the iSine series & LCDi3 / LCDi4.

36 minutes ago, Monstieur said:

The Cipher v2 cable has different tuning. Both cables have active DSP meant for correcting specific headphone models like the iSine series & LCDi3 / LCDi4.

Holy necro this was posted more than a year ago...

I'm almost certain the V1 just had a super average DAC/AMP that meant there was less bass and more distortion which meant it sounded more spacious and airy at the time.