Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LePips

PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4) GPU

9 minutes ago, LePips said:

I meant without bottlenecking the GPU too much. (I now hate the word bottlenecking)

It would be unreasonable to use a GTX1080 on a PCIe 2.0  with a x4 bandwith. Thus I am wondering how much bandwith the lower end (GT1030) GPUs actually need not to be limited in an unnecessary manner.

Again this would be any gpu,

Meaning a 1080 will always be faster than a 1030 on any matching bandwidth slot. the only reason you would buy a 1030 is if you wanted the performance to be worse , or just wanted the gpu to be cheap and basic

the 4x slot will restrict the performance of any gpu thats installed , meaning the 1030 is also being restricted as well. so by all means the 4x slot will always be a bottleneck for any gpu's potential.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey there!

I wondered if anyone knows a GPU which is using the bandwith most effectively.

(Use in case you wonder is a dual gpu setup where one runs Linux and the other a Windows emulation, got the idea from the video about gaming on Linux with Wendell from Level1Techs).

20 minutes ago, LePips said:

a GPU which is using the bandwith most effectively

that would be any gpu which fits in the slot and isn't a 1x card

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

that would be any gpu which fits in the slot and isn't a 1x card

I meant without bottlenecking the GPU too much. (I now hate the word bottlenecking)

It would be unreasonable to use a GTX1080 on a PCIe 2.0  with a x4 bandwith. Thus I am wondering how much bandwith the lower end (GT1030) GPUs actually need not to be limited in an unnecessary manner.

Posted · Best Answer
9 minutes ago, LePips said:

Meaning a 1080 will always be faster than a 1030 on any matching bandwidth slot. the only reason you would buy a 1030 is if you wanted the performance to be worse , or just wanted the gpu to be cheap and basic

the 4x slot will restrict the performance of any gpu thats installed , meaning the 1030 is also being restricted as well. so by all means the 4x slot will always be a bottleneck for any gpu's potential.

Just now, emosun said:

Ok thanks. Then it seems I misunderstood the actual influence of bandwith.