Astro A50 Wireless Gaming Headset

LinusTech

NCIX: N/A

Amazon: http://georiot.co/3em5

My review/unboxing of the A50 wireless gaming headset form Astro is part 1 in a series of reivews that will also include the Corsair Vengeance 2100 and Steelseries H Wireless.

Wooooo new Linus video :D

P.S. I tweeted this to you but I didn't get a reply; Do you know why I don't get advertisements on ANY of your videos?

P.S. I tweeted this to you but I didn't get a reply; Do you know why I don't get advertisements on ANY of your videos?

Prolly b/c you want Linus Media Group to go out of business >(

No but seriously I cannot fathom the ways of Google. No idea what it is.

I just sold my A50's for a pair of 558s, you think it was a good trade Linus?

Prolly b/c you want Linus Media Group to go out of business >(

No but seriously I cannot fathom the ways of Google. No idea what it is.

In that case, do you know when your next fund raiser is? I really want to help LMG but Google won't let me. 

Sneaky adblock knows how you really feel about ads and installed it on your browser for you.

Depends how much you value wireless... In terms of straight audio quality you got the better end of that bargain.

In that case, do you know when your next fund raiser is? I really want to help LMG but Google won't let me. 

It was supposed to be early January, but we might have to push it. We're too busy publishing *real* videos on the channel to make one to beg for money :P

Sneaky adblock knows how you really feel about ads and installed it on your browser for you.

2rev.png

Ad block is turned off for Youtube, LTT and Twitch.

Depends how much you value wireless... In terms of straight audio quality you got the better end of that bargain.

It was nice to have but mostly used for going to the kitchen to make food while talking on Skype xD

I sold mine for my ad900x's and no regrets :P  the music quality is much much better imo, and the a50's had distortion at max volume, (both pairs I had)

also, hi excon are u a Popsicle today again?

and yeah, the wireless was AMAZING but it's whatever lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I sold mine for my ad900x's and no regrets :P  the music quality is much much better imo, and the a50's had distortion at max volume, (both pairs I had)

also, hi excon are u a Popsicle today again?

and yeah, the wireless was AMAZING but it's whatever lol

Good to hear, and it's only -43 today.

@LinusTech It seems to me your mic test was unusually bad. I used A50s for almost 18 months and they where never that bad and it was comparable to my now AT2020.

@LinusTech It seems to me your mic test was unusually bad. I used A50s for almost 18 months and they where never bad and it was comparable to my now AT2020.

I think there's a firmware update for em, my mic sounded great too, but my friend has a pair of a50's and his mic sounds terrible, but I did tons of recordings with mine and it sounded fine :3

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I dunno. We've got two pairs of A50s in the house (one BF4, one vanilla) and the mic sounds like that on both of them. This is on two different systems.

Also the mic quality fix is from April. I don't think the BF4 version was even out yet at that point. I don't think that's the issue.

I dunno. We've got two pairs of A50s in the house (one BF4, one vanilla) and the mic sounds like that on both of them. This is on two different systems.

Also the mic quality fix is from April. I don't think the BF4 version was even out yet at that point. I don't think that's the issue.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try the firmware update, also happy new years :D 

I, among other people are very much looking forward to a new year of LTT videos :D

That's rather strange then, you covered all bases as usual. I have no clue what could be causing it.

That's rather strange then, you covered all bases as usual. I have no clue what could be causing it.

As I mentioned in the video it's possible that the usual compression that's present with most voice chat services would obscure the low quality with its own low quality-ness.

I was using Audacity to record.

I'm don't really get the hype around Astros to be honest, like they were among the first headsets that were used in competition for console gaming (MLG used them pretty standardly in Halo 2 events) but other then that it's just not up to par with what's being supplied now. Hell I own Astros but I still use my Tritton Warheads as my daily driver. They cost the same and are FULLY wireless (in terms of voice chat) whereas the Astros are not.

"The circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

After a luke-warm review of the A50's, I would like it if you also checked out the A40s, since I think many of the issues you have with the wireless version are better in the wired version. For starters, it weighs less due to not having an internal DAC, and I expect it would sound better. In other reviews I have seen audio-enthusiasts approximate the sound of the A40s to things like the PC360. It has a much better frequency response and most likely a higher impedance. Also, I know for a fact that the microphone quality of the A40 is much better, and actually very good, again probably due to the fact it isn't wireless. You can also ditch the boom-mic for an included in-line mic. The A40 system costs less also, despite being a lot better where it matters.

Hey Linus, in your recent videos (past week or more) the frame rate has dropped. Are you using a new camera? On both my iPhone, iPad and PC the frame rate looks lower and when something would normally look smooth, it isn't. Good video btw

i7-7700k @ 5.2GHz Delidded || NZXT X62 280m radiator || Asus Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB || MSI Z270 Pro Carbon || Corsair 16GB 3200mhz DDR4 || Intel 600p 512GB || 2x Barracuda 2tb RAID 0 || Corsair air 540 (white) w/ RM1000i Modular PSU and White cablemod cables || Samsung 65" Series 8 4K + Samsung CFG70 curved 24" 144hz QDOT monitor || Roccat Sova M, Rzr Blackwidow X Tour || Logitech G9x, Logitech G602, Corsair M65 RGB || Yamaha RX-A3060 + Jamo S506 HSC3 5.1 + Logitech G933 || Nvidia Shield TV + Nvidia Shield Tablet K1

When saying he's uses the internal DAC, not an external, and pointing to the sender. Since it's wireless, the DAC is in the headphones themselves, since the signal is digital, isn't that correct? And than using an external DAC, the sender will use its ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) to get the sound to the headphones, and good external DACs will be the same as throwing money out the window? It's the reason I only go for analog headphones, so I can change the "sound" if I want to.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

NCIX: N/A

Amazon: http://georiot.co/3em5

My review/unboxing of the A50 wireless gaming headset form Astro is part 1 in a series of reivews that will also include the Corsair Vengeance 2100 and Steelseries H Wireless.

Yes, Yes very good review, you even did a mic test! :D 

Can't find anything I didn't like about it, and can't find anything you missed. Good job with the review! :D 

Linus when i listened to youre mic test it sounded far worse than any other mic test on this headseat you sure you have latest drivers downloaded from astro ?

So i have a A50 headset for 1 year now. I never complained about it, maybe because thats my first headset and i havent ever heard another one with best sound quallity 

The mic though, sucks, my webcam (logitech) mic is better than astro`s

But, does Astro A50 sucks in sounds? I think i made a bad choice