Best Gaming headphone, and amp/dac Questions

NotMrTaco
Go to solution Solved by xtroria,
6 hours ago, NotMrTaco said:

I searched online and saw that the ath-ad1000x and akg k702 are also great choice for what I plan to do. Would you suggest those headphones as well?

I find DT880 just to be a very good headphone overall. K712 is also good along with HD6xx

Hey, I've seen multiple people use their headphones such as dt 990 250 ohm and plugging them right into the audio jack on their computer. Is that enough to power the headphones, that way I won't have to spend the extra money on an amp/dac, if the mobo can drive the headphones properly? Also wanted to know what would the best headphones for fps games where footsteps help you find where your enemy is. My budget is about $400 for the headphone and amp/dac. I was thinking of getting the dt880 pro as well as a schiit stack. I am open to any suggestions. :)

Schitt fulla 2 is enough and at $99, it's brilliant.

22 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Schitt fulla 2 is enough and at $99, it's brilliant.

Would the dt 880 pro be good for what I plan to do?

14 minutes ago, NotMrTaco said:

Yes DT880 is good

27 minutes ago, NotMrTaco said:

Ye

1 hour ago, xtroria said:

Yes DT880 is good

I searched online and saw that the ath-ad1000x and akg k702 are also great choice for what I plan to do. Would you suggest those headphones as well?

6 hours ago, NotMrTaco said:

I find DT880 just to be a very good headphone overall. K712 is also good along with HD6xx

schiit stack + akg k712 pro thats what im in now (just waiting for 712 to come home , my schiit stack is w8ing TT_TT)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

2 hours ago, Peskanova said:

schiit stack + akg k712 pro thats what im in now (just waiting for 712 to come home , my schiit stack is w8ing TT_TT)

You should enjoy them. Ive had my 712s for 4 years almost now, 1000s of hours on them. 

I would also suggest taking a look at Sonarworks True-Fi, they offer a free trial. 

My only gripe is once you listen to something like Audeze LCD-X's, you can't go back :'(

CPU: i7-5820k (4.7GHz/1.292V)                             RAM: Cruital Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4                                Case: NZXT H440 Razer Sound: SVS Ultra Bookshelves / SVS SB13-Ultra / Marantz SR7008

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3                                         Storage: Samsung 840 Evo (500GB)  + WD Black (1TB)    PSU: EVGA G2-1000        M/KB: Razer Ouroboros / Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 

Mobo: MSI X99S Sli Plus                                         GPU: EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid                                     OS: Windows 10               Monitor: BenQ XL2720Z / Asus PG348Q

3 hours ago, Peskanova said:

Does the head clamp bother you at all? I've seen videos where they say it's a big con about it.

3 hours ago, xtroria said:

Alright, thank you!

53 minutes ago, NotMrTaco said:

Does the head clamp bother you at all? I've seen videos where they say it's a big con about it.

The headphones don't have any weight to them. and are extremely comforatable to me. The ones on the 712s don't have the bumps.

CPU: i7-5820k (4.7GHz/1.292V)                             RAM: Cruital Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4                                Case: NZXT H440 Razer Sound: SVS Ultra Bookshelves / SVS SB13-Ultra / Marantz SR7008

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3                                         Storage: Samsung 840 Evo (500GB)  + WD Black (1TB)    PSU: EVGA G2-1000        M/KB: Razer Ouroboros / Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 

Mobo: MSI X99S Sli Plus                                         GPU: EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid                                     OS: Windows 10               Monitor: BenQ XL2720Z / Asus PG348Q

1 hour ago, Reckless95 said:

The headphones don't have any weight to them. and are extremely comforatable to me. The ones on the 712s don't have the bumps.

Okay, I will keep that in mind.

18 hours ago, NotMrTaco said:

Also wanted to know what would the best headphones for fps games where footsteps help you find where your enemy is.

That means headphones with neutral/weak bass.

Obviously having strong explosion sounds etc rumbles can make it harder to distinguish details like foot steps.

Though below neutral bass would certainly kill any "fun factor", so might want to avoid "no bass at all" headphones.

Also you don't want any "music enjoyment" smoothing of treble.

16 hours ago, NotMrTaco said:

K702 is darn impressive for competitive gaming with its neutral highly analytical sound.

Also it comes without those head torture bumps in head band.

Myself bought couple years old second hand one in last November as bass neutral reference.

(K712 is notch below for distinguishing details because of that fun above neutral bass)

It's certainly aural "god mode" headphone for binaural sound simulation, which you'll want for gaming.

Headphones can never produce any information not existing in signal:

Stereo speaker mix from games gives onlyvery artificial "sound inside left/right ear or in center of head" immersion with headphones, because of lacking binaural cues.

Of course if your head shape differs more from average, then binaural cues your brain has learned to process are different and you're out of luck.

(at least until Creative releases products with head and ear shape customizable HRTF)