Memory Usage at 99%

mpsparrow

Brothers new Microsoft Surface Laptop. i5 processor, 8GB of ram, 256GB SSD. Literally got it a week ago and has don't very little with it. The only program he has loaded up is Firefox. That is literally it. Doesn't even have any files on it or anything.

After a few hours of use the memory slowly creeps up to 99% usage. Then the laptop becomes unusable. Task manager doesn't show anything using that usage. Nothing is open and the usage is still at 99% using all 8GB. Once you reboot the laptop it goes back to its normal like 2.5GB of ram usage and then slowly starts creeping up using more and more again.

Is this like a Windows 10 memory leak or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid having to reinstall Windows on it.

are u sure that there are 8 gigs maybe the mem sticks are broken

Just now, ManosMax13 said:

are u sure that there are 8 gigs maybe the mem sticks are broken

Everywhere it clearly shows 8GB of ram and when the computer starts up it is using the proper amount of ram that I would expect (2-2.5GB). So I doubt that is the problem.

Just now, mpsparrow said:

Everywhere it clearly shows 8GB of ram and when the computer starts up it is using the proper amount of ram that I would expect (2-2.5GB). So I doubt that is the problem.

is anything running in the backround or does yourbrother have open 40 tabs at the same time

1 minute ago, ManosMax13 said:

is anything running in the backround or does yourbrother have open 40 tabs at the same time

Nope, nothing is open when this is happening. At most he has had maybe 3 tabs open.

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

Nope, nothing is open when this is happening. At most he has had maybe 3 tabs open.

then idk but if your planning to re install windowsyoumay void warranty and the problem might again be hardware related

3 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

then idk but if your planning to re install windowsyoumay void warranty and the problem might again be hardware related

I don't think that is a hardware issue when it is working until you have the computer on for a few hours and watch the memory usage creep up. I think it is some sort of memory leak but it can only come from Windows because I have nothing else installed.

1 minute ago, mpsparrow said:

I don't think that is a hardware issue when it is working though until you have the computer on for a few hours and watch the memory usage creep up. I think it is some sort of memory leak but it can only come from Windows because I have nothing else installed.

does reinstalling windows void warranty?

2 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

I don't think that is a hardware issue when it is working though until you have the computer on for a few hours and watch the memory usage creep up. I think it is some sort of memory leak but it can only come from Windows because I have nothing else installed.

I will answer to my question,No, go ahead 

Just now, ManosMax13 said:

does reinstalling windows void warranty?

I mean I am not messing with the hardware so I don't see how it would void my warranty to plug a USB stick into the machine and wipe it.

Just now, youmanyousef said:

if you still have warranty, RMA!

I mean he bought it a week ago so he could. I just feel like I could save him all the trouble....

I'd just return it. Especially since it's a new device.

You could try contacting their support if they have them.