i need help with getting 144hz

Retr0_C0brA

hi everyone i thought that any HDMI is locked at 60hz at least thats until i did some research and realized thats not true i have hdmi 2.0 but whenever i play a game i am locked at 60fps and yes my monitor can support 144hz and whenever i unplug the hdmi my fps go up but when i plug it back its locked at 60fps and i did check from the settings to make sure that my frames are not locked at 60fps and they are not and i did turn off v sync i need help please i need to get my games up to 144hz

Only certain monitors support HDMI at 120Hz but yours only supports it at 60Hz. Just buy a display cable.

Specs

CPU - I5-8500

GPU - MSI Gaming GTX 1070Ti

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3000MHZ

SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB

HDD - Western Digital 1TB

Case - NZXT S340 Elite

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Peripherals / Monitor

Monitor - Acer Predator XB241H 24" 1080p 144Hz G-Sync

Keyboard - Razer Ornata Chroma

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma

Headset - Turtle Beach PX24

5 minutes ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

hi everyone i thought that any HDMI is locked at 60hz at least thats until i did some research and realized thats not true i have hdmi 2.0 but whenever i play a game i am locked at 60fps and yes my monitor can support 144hz and whenever i unplug the hdmi my fps go up but when i plug it back its locked at 60fps and i did check from the settings to make sure that my frames are not locked at 60fps and they are not and i did turn off v sync i need help please i need to get my games up to 144hz

The HDMI standard also needs to be on the gpu. The new 10xx series ar all HDMI2.0A/B specs on the 9xx series form Nvidia some ar and some are not.. AMD not sure. What gpu do you have ? Also really cheap HDMI cables can not handle the data true put and lose single strange

The problem is that the connector das not chance but the chip that sends the data.

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

OK so firstly does your GPU monitor AND your cable support HDMI 2.0 because if it isn't supported at just one link in the chain you won't get 144hz

Also what game are you playing? Because a) bethseda games like fallout 4 tend to lock you to 60fps and b) v sync can be enabled at many different places be it your drivers your game etc.

But even if you had vsync it should only enable itself at 144hz?

3rd question: have you actually set your monitor to 144hz? does it specifically say 144 in your nVidia control panel or AMD equivalent?

4th question have you enabled it in windows? (Via your display adapter?) In display adapter properties you may need to set it to 144hz.

That should do it but your driver or frame counter could be locking you to 60 fps or even your game could just be running really steadily at 60fps.

Many things could be going on I need more information.

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

2 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

OK so firstly what game are you playing? Because a) bethseda games like fallout 4 tend to lock you to 60fps and b) v sync can be enabled at many different places be it your drivers your game etc.

But even if you had vsync it should only enable itself at 144hz?

2nd question: have you actually set your monitor to 144hz? does it specifically say 144 in your nVidia control panel or AMD equivalent?

3rd question have you enabled it in windows? (Via your display adapter?) In display adapter properties you may need to set it to 144hz.

That should do it but your driver or frame counter could be locking you to 60 fps or even your game could just be running really steadily at 60fps.

Many things could be going on I need more information.

i have v sync turned off and i was playing on forza horizon 3

yes it actually does its 144hz but what do you mean by set your monitor to be 144hz

i will check

2 minutes ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

i have v sync turned off and i was playing on forza horizon 3

yes it actually does its 144hz but what do you mean by set your monitor to be 144hz

i will check

So in your drivers it might not be set to 144hz like so:

Or it could just not be running @ 144hz because it hasn't been set to do so in windows settings like so:

5 minutes ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

btw guys im on a laptop so my options are limited

Don't get me wrong, but you might be out of luck then.

If your laptop's output doesn't offer the right standard/enough bandwidth, you might not be able to use the 144 hz that your monitor supports.

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

6 minutes ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

btw guys im on a laptop so my options are limited

So whats your setup is your monitor external and you're running off of a laptop?

in which case the hdmi output from your laptop might not support 144hz because again it needs to have the bandwidth at every link in the chain.

Just now, TechMasterMind said:

So whats your setup is your monitor external and you're running off of a laptop?

in which case the hdmi output from your laptop might not support 144hz

1 minute ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Don't get me wrong, but you might be out of luck then.

If your laptop's output doesn't offer the right standard/enough bandwidth, you might not be able to use the 144 hz that your monitor supports.

that might be the case

Just now, Retr0_C0brA said:

that might be the case

That sucks... :( 

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

hey guys i was playing around in the monitor's settings and i found and option called information in the settings tab so i clicked it and it said current resolution 1920x1080@60 but under it it said optimumResolution 1920x1080@120 what's that supposed to mean?? 

that might be the case

I'm sorry man it's still worth a try atleast trying to change some colour settings as the bandwidth the hdmi capable uses is consisted of: colour bitrate*resolution*refreshrate so if you decrease the resolution or the colour quality you might still be able to get a respectable refresh rate.

hey guys i was playing around in the monitor's settings and i found and option called information in the settings tab so i clicked it and it said current resolution 1920x1080@60 but under it it said optimumResolution 1920x1080@120 what's that supposed to mean?? 

Optimum resolution probably means the native resolution it's desinged to run at which in this case looks like 1080p @ 120hz so I would click that option

3 minutes ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

(Read my first response first) But this still isn't 144hz which probably means 144hz is a guaranteed from the factory overclock that you do manually but for now I would focus on 120hz as again you might not have enough bandwidth for 144hz.

1 minute ago, TechMasterMind said:

Optimum resolution probably means the native resolution it's desinged to run at which in this case looks like 1080p @ 120hz so I would click that option

yeah buuuuuuuuut i can not click it only look at it 

yeah buuuuuuuuut i can not click it only look at it 

Ok so it's not an option, hmmmm well where is this settings menu is it in the control panel dxdiag I need more information

1 minute ago, TechMasterMind said:

Ok so it's not an option, hmmmm well where is this settings menu is it in the control panel dxdiag I need more information

no its in the monitor settings i was just messing around and i found it

no its in the monitor settings i was just messing around and i found it

OK well ngl that isn't very helpful. My best guess would be that your monitor is communicating to your laptop that it can run @ 120hz but it can't be set to that refresh rate because of the graphics card in your laptop not having a high enough bandwidth HDMI connection.

So basically it again lands at it's probably the laptop not being capable of 120hz not the cable or the monitor but if i had the laptop specs/model number I could tell you more.

4 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

OK well ngl that isn't very helpful. My best guess would be that your monitor is communicating to your laptop that it can run @ 120hz but it can't be set to that refresh rate because of the graphics card in your laptop not having a high enough bandwidth HDMI connection.

So basically it again lands at it's probably the laptop not being capable of 120hz not the cable or the monitor but if i had the laptop specs/model number I could tell you more.

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ

2.8 GHz; Quad-core

DDR4

16 GB

15.6"

Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050TI

Ports:

2x USB 3.0

1x USB 2.0

Network (RJ-45)

HDMI Output

1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C

5 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

btw i couldn't change the refresh rate from the control panel because i had the the displays duplicated but when i split them and took the control panel to the monitors side i could actually change it but only to 60hz

8 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

i was messing around even more in the nivida control panel and found out that my memory bandwidth is 112.13 GB/s and  my memory interface is 128-bit if thats of any help

1 minute ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ

2.8 GHz; Quad-core

DDR4

16 GB

15.6"

Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050TI

Ports:

2x USB 3.0

1x USB 2.0

Network (RJ-45)

HDMI Output

1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C

Well damn honestly that looks like it should be fine?!? My guess would be the manufacturer was silly enough to use the integrated graphics through the HDMI port instead of the actual GPU.

So I would run the external monitor and play a game and watch the nVidia GPU usage and if it is ridiculously low (like 1-5% then you know that it probably isn't being used for the external monitor.

Otherwise without having the laptop there in person i'm really stumped. :/ I would honestly even commit a cardinal sin and contact your laptop manufacturers support and ask them wassup.

1 minute ago, Retr0_C0brA said:

i was messing around even more in the nivida control panel and found out that my memory bandwidth is 112.13 GB/s and  my memory interface is 128-bit if thats of any help

Ok so memory bandwidth is not important here as it basically is to do with the processing of frames within the GPU not about the outputs.

you need an HDMI bandwidth of about 32bits=4 bytes (colour)*1920*1080*120 = 995,328,000 bytes roughly 1GB/s of cable/HMDI connector bandwidth.