Motorola Under Fire For Copying iPhone X

Motorola phone 'brazen copy' of iPhone X

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45208546

Smartphone brand Motorola has been criticised for revealing a "shameless" copy of the iPhone X as its new model.

Many phone-makers have copied the look of the iPhone X, which has a smaller bezel around the screen and a "notch" at the top that houses a camera.

However, reviewers said the new Motorola P30 was a "brazen" and "egregious" rip-off of Apple's flagship device.

Lenovo, which owns the Motorola brand, has not yet responded to the criticism.

5b75e66dc0f3b_ScreenShot2018-08-17at9_02_20AM.png.40290b32a346eff169702e00c27ec3fe.png

Can you tell the difference apart from the Logo?

In my view, it's a pretty clear knock-off. Whats also interesting is the new Huawei Nova 3i, which looks pretty similar to the iPhone X.  as well. 

Just looking at the wallpapers its a pretty clear knock-off. I don't know know why Apple hasn't caused a but kerfuffle over these phones. 

The Motorola is better because Android, duh.

There is a plagiarism line that any self respecting designer should not cross when designing a product. Motorola said, screw that line, what are lines? Well whatever these alleged "lines" are, we crossed them!

xD

I hope they get their a*ses sued out from under em'! 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

As much as I think Apple should stop pretending that phones that are designed like phones are iphone copies, in this case I can see their point...

I think the notch is stupid anyway, if Apple get the exclusive on that one I wouldn't mind at all. Motorola and the others should be copying Samsung's designs, they make a lot more sense.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Because copying the iPhone almost verbatim worked so well for Samsung.

Oh wait. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc._v._Samsung_Electronics_Co.#Second_Retrial_of_damages_amount_from_first_U.S._trial

The jury trial for damages concluded on May 24, 2018, awarding Apple $539 million, which includes $399 million for damages of Samsung's products sold that infringed on the patents

2 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Because copying the iPhone almost verbatim worked so well for Samsung.

Oh wait. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc._v._Samsung_Electronics_Co.#Second_Retrial_of_damages_amount_from_first_U.S._trial

That phone was much more distinctive than this one is tbh.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

21 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

5b75e66dc0f3b_ScreenShot2018-08-17at9_02_20AM.png.40290b32a346eff169702e00c27ec3fe.png

Not trying to defend Motorola as this is definitely a blatant ripoff of the iPhone x, but are they really trying to argue that because it has a 'notch' it is the same as an iPhone x? Because there are several other phones out there with notches, like the LG G7 (or ThinQ, or whatever the hell name they feel like calling it today)

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

I can feel the Apple lawyers jizzing in their pants over this settlement from New Zealand.

At least Samsung reworded the homework when they copied it. Aside from when they didn't:

samsungshop-110923.png

2 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Not trying to defend Motorola as this is definitely a blatant ripoff of the iPhone x, but are they really trying to argue that because it has a 'notch' it is the same as an iPhone x? Because there are several other phones out there with notches, like the LG G7 (or ThinQ, or whatever the hell name they feel like calling it today)

Just glancing, the design and location of the camera, the location of the company logo on the back, the design of the background of the lock screen, the bezel configuration... yea the notch is the prominent feature but that's not a great thing to pick out as similar (good job, article author).

About the only thing I could say different is the P30 says "Motorola" on the phone's chin. I really don't think this will stand up in a patent suit, and Apple would be foolish to not pursue one.

The motorola has a stepped ridge all the way around the outside and branding on the front, so other than the notch and the camera position the rest is just standard phone shape. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Personally it looks a lot more like the Huawei P20. Like, seriously...

huawei-p20-3.jpg

And Motorola is calling theirs the P30? Are we sure they didn't just team up with Huawei after the US ban?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

so other than the notch and the camera position the rest is just standard phone shape. 

Yeah, no. Companies have lost lawsuits to Apple over infringement for far less similar deigned than this one. Motorola has no defense here. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah, no. Companies have lost lawsuits to Apple over infringement for far less similar deigned than this one. Motorola has no defense here. 

Apple wins every lawsuit in America.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Personally it looks a more like the Huawei P20. Like, seriously...

-snip-

Colour wise perhaps. Design wise? Definitely not. The P20 is quite distinct from the iPhone X, this new Motorola phone is an almost 1:1 clone.

The OnePlus 5 was widely criticised for how incredibly similar it was to the iPhone 7 Plus in design. This is much more similar to the X, comparatively.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Just now, mr moose said:

Did you have some underlying point there that you were trying to get across? 

Don't fight, both are equally horrible

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, mr moose said:

Well it was against a non us company so they had home field advantage in the Samsung law suit. 

2 minutes ago, Whiskers said:

Colour wise perhaps. Design wise? Definitely not. The P20 is quite distinct from the iPhone X, this new Motorola phone is an almost 1:1 clone.

The OnePlus 5 was widely criticised for how incredibly similar it was to the iPhone 7 Plus in design. This is much more similar to the X, comparatively.

Same button layout on the side as the P20, camera module is similar to both other than the flash being closer to iphone X, name is super misleading P20 vs P30, plus yes the paint job looks the same but upside down. The notch isn't the only design feature of a phone. The screen being similar is because there's pretty much 2 companies that make phone oleds and they all want the same design

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

not sure how much of a copy is it , it doesn't seem to be an exact replica as side button placements are different , but again not sure how much of an exact copy is it as in current market phones design flows are right now, everyone is trying to one up each other with a basic layout, they probably tried to follow modern trend like cheap Chinese companies do,  just look at an android market in between varying tiers between companies . without turning on the phone it looks just the same rectangle frame boxes.

Details separate people.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I am a bit confused as to how this made it to market without their legal department blocking it. I mean they are asking to get sued for a lot of money. I guess they can always do what Samsung did and pay apple the damages in pennies :P

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

and when they don't, the president can veto the ruling. And people claim that china's courts are biased 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Motorola, all I wanted was a updated RAZR. Now you will probably be sued out of existence and I will never get to have another phone that will take that kind of abuse.

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

and when they don't, the president can veto the ruling.

Has any US president ever vetoed a ruling in Apples favor?