30 FPS in Metro Redux with GTX 1080 Ti.

DeadlyTitan

So yea, i play in 2560 x 1440 with max graphical settings (very high in this case) and am getting am abysmal 30 FPS in the game. I just cant get past 30 FPS and no i do not have Vsync on. However i do get over 250+ FPS when i turn down the SSAA from 4x to either Auto or 0.5x, Is this normal ? I cant believe how demanding SSAA is. Seriously, can anyone with the same/similar specs and the game tell me if this is normal? GPU usage is at 100% in game. 

My system specs are as follows - 

• i7 8700
  • GTX 1080 Ti 
  • 32 Gb Ram (3000 mhz, cas 15, 2x 16 GB) 
  • 2560 x 1440 @ 165 hz Gsync monitor 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

Iirc there is a 30fps limit option in the game for no reason. 

Edit: reread the thing. Ssaa is basically DSR. Meaning you are playing at 4x 1440p so like 5k resolution. Set Ssaa to 1x. 0.5x will half your resolution actually. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

You know what SSAA is? 

You're basically trying to run the game at 5k.

(Super Sampling Anti Aliasing) Quite simmilar to DSR/VSR (Dynamic/Virtual Super Resolution). 

Rendering the game on a much higher resolution than the native resolution and then downscaling it to native resolution to make the image a lot more smooth without causing some weird artifacting like for example FXAA can often cause. 

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You know what SSAA is? 

You're basically trying to run the game at 5k.

(Super Sampling Anti Aliasing) Quite simmilar to DSR/VSR (Dynamic/Virtual Super Resolution). 

Rendering the game on a much higher resolution than the native resolution and then downscaling it to native resolution to make the image a lot more smooth without causing some weird artifacting like for example FXAA can often cause. 

6 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Iirc there is a 30fps limit option in the game for no reason. 

Edit: reread the thing. Ssaa is basically DSR. Meaning you are playing at 4x 1440p so like 5k resolution. Set Ssaa to 1x. 0.5x will half your resolution actually. 

Oh my god really? Thank you, well that explains. There is no 1x option in SSAA so i better just stick it to 2x then i guess? 

10 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What happens when you turn vsync on?

With SSAA no change, then again provided what SSAA is i am no longer surprised. 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

1 minute ago, DeadlyTitan said:

Oh my god really? Thank you, well that explains. There is no 1x option in SSAA so i better just stick it to 2x then i guess? 

With SSAA no change, then again provided what SSAA is i am no longer surprised. 

Can you turn ssaa off instead? 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

42 minutes ago, DeadlyTitan said:

So yea, i play in 2560 x 1440 with max graphical settings (very high in this case) and am getting am abysmal 30 FPS in the game. I just cant get past 30 FPS and no i do not have Vsync on. However i do get over 250+ FPS when i turn down the SSAA from 4x to either Auto or 0.5x, Is this normal ? I cant believe how demanding SSAA is. Seriously, can anyone with the same/similar specs and the game tell me if this is normal? GPU usage is at 100% in game. 

My system specs are as follows - 

• i7 8700
  • GTX 1080 Ti 
  • 32 Gb Ram (3000 mhz, cas 15, 2x 16 GB) 
  • 2560 x 1440 @ 165 hz Gsync monitor 

Yeah You're I believe effectively running @ 5k ultra you so even your 1080ti might be tight on video memory I reccomend just using MSAA 2x and having this off completely not 0.5x (as you'll effectively be running @ 1080p (I believe, it could be 720p depending on what it means by 0.5x) and not 2x as although it will probably look best you'll get MUCH better performance to looks trade off with even fxaa or just msaa or txaa whatever your game supports. Because even if you can run ssaa the power bill isnt worth the marginal increase in image quality for the increase in power usage.

So yeah, did you get I don't recommend super sampling? xD

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

13 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Can you turn ssaa off instead? 

Unfortunately there does not seems to be an option ingame, have to look for ini hacks or some 3rd party tool. The old Metro 2033 have an awesome tool to tweak the settings as you like, this one the redux does not have any. 

EDIT : Correction, there appears to be an option to turn it off, i was just too stupid to notice it in the first place. Damn am getting too old for this stuff. 

12 hours ago, TechMasterMind said:

Yeah You're I believe effectively running @ 5k ultra you so even your 1080ti might be tight on video memory I reccomend just using MSAA 2x and having this off completely not 0.5x (as you'll effectively be running @ 1080p (I believe, it could be 720p depending on what it means by 0.5x) and not 2x as although it will probably look best you'll get MUCH better performance to looks trade off with even fxaa or just msaa or txaa whatever your game supports. Because even if you can run ssaa the power bill isnt worth the marginal increase in image quality for the increase in power usage.

So yeah, did you get I don't recommend super sampling? xD

There are no other options for AA, so i am pretty much stuck with SSAA. 

Edited by DeadlyTitan

For God's sake turn off SSAA. It's very demanding and it's normal that fps goes down so much when you turn it on.