Bugdet Server Build

Hi

Looking to acquire a small 'server' computer for home usage. I am UK based and looking to spend ~£500. I want to use it for the following things:

• Game Server Hosting (This varies greatly: Arma 3, Mount and Blade: Warband, Starbound, Baratroma - likely other not too demanding games in the future)
  • .NET development including WCF, ASP.NET, SQLServer, IIS and so on (For learning purposes, I'm a student!)
  • Possibly a Teamspeak 3 Server, although I am happy with the VPS I use at the moment so probably a non issue

My essential requirements are as follows:

• Components must support Windows Server 2016, I hear there are problems sometimes with this? (My University has an Imagine subscription so I can get a copy of the server for free). I'd like to practice with Windows Server, I've used Ubuntu a fair amount already
  • I don't really want to build the computer. I live very close to the UK company CCL who usually offer good prices and build cheap, components they offer would be ideal
  • I have no intention of having large numbers of concurrent players or anything like that, so I do not expect home connection to be an issue. My download speed is 68 Mbps can't check upload currently. If I had to go by memory I think it's 20+ Mbps but I could be wrong, I can check tomorrow

A hypothetical build I have is as follows. But I'm 100% open to suggestions, throw it all out if you want :):

• Intel Core i5 8400 2.8GHz Hexa Core (Socket 1151) - £166.49
  • Gigabyte H110M-S2H Intel Socket 1151 Motherboard - £45
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 - £125
  • Corsair VS Series VS450 450W 80+ PSU - £35
  • Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive - £56
  • AvP Viper Mini Tower Gaming Case - Black - £17.80 (Fairly bad - something like a tower better for this?)

The total would be £445.29, I'm not sure if there are any literal compatibility or performance compatibility issues but I'd be very grateful if someone pointed them out. I'm not sure what CCL would charge to build this as  it's basically made from scratch.

I am aware of providers who offer excellent spec dedicated machines for ~£40/month rental, which is basically 1 year of buying the machine myself. The group I'm with has been going for 6, some degree of future proof would be nice. Because of this, I'm not really interested in dedicated renting. The low budget is because I understand the biggest limitation here would be my internet speed, making high spec pointless. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor  (£169.19 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£62.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£143.99 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£23.94 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£50.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: BitFenix - Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  (£23.99 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£67.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £543.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-16 21:03 BST+0100

Grab the cheapest GPU you can get your hands on to get display out. 

The 1700 will get you 2 extra cores and a whole bunch of threads to play with

A open suggestion would be, that the Gigabyte H110M-S2H Intel Socket 1151 Motherboard is not compatible with the i5 8400.

Unless you are a expert in BIOS modding, then don't buy it.

28 minutes ago, El_Presidente said:

Hi

Looking to acquire a small 'server' computer for home usage. I am UK based and looking to spend ~£500. I want to use it for the following things:

• Game Server Hosting (This varies greatly: Arma 3, Mount and Blade: Warband, Starbound, Baratroma - likely other not too demanding games in the future)
  • .NET development including WCF, ASP.NET, SQLServer, IIS and so on (For learning purposes, I'm a student!)
  • Possibly a Teamspeak 3 Server, although I am happy with the VPS I use at the moment so probably a non issue

My essential requirements are as follows:

• Components must support Windows Server 2016, I hear there are problems sometimes with this? (My University has an Imagine subscription so I can get a copy of the server for free). I'd like to practice with Windows Server, I've used Ubuntu a fair amount already
  • I don't really want to build the computer. I live very close to the UK company CCL who usually offer good prices and build cheap, components they offer would be ideal
  • I have no intention of having large numbers of concurrent players or anything like that, so I do not expect home connection to be an issue. My download speed is 68 Mbps can't check upload currently. If I had to go by memory I think it's 20+ Mbps but I could be wrong, I can check tomorrow

A hypothetical build I have is as follows. But I'm 100% open to suggestions, throw it all out if you want :):

• Intel Core i5 8400 2.8GHz Hexa Core (Socket 1151) - 166.49
  • Gigabyte H110M-S2H Intel Socket 1151 Motherboard - £45
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 - £125
  • Corsair VS Series VS450 450W 80+ PSU - £35
  • Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive - £56
  • AvP Viper Mini Tower Gaming Case - Black - £17.80 (Fairly bad - something like a tower better for this?)

The total would be £445.29, I'm not sure if there are any literal compatibility or performance compatibility issues but I'd be very grateful if someone pointed them out. I'm not sure what CCL would charge to build this as  it's basically made from scratch.

I am aware of providers who offer excellent spec dedicated machines for ~£40/month rental, which is basically 1 year of buying the machine myself. The group I'm with has been going for 6, some degree of future proof would be nice. Because of this, I'm not really interested in dedicated renting. The low budget is because I understand the biggest limitation here would be my internet speed, making high spec pointless. 

Honestly... pick up a used Dell 3010 preferrably not the SFF version. You will want the i7 variant with the 3770 in it. Toss in a few cheap SSD's inland 480gb can be had for like 70 bucks at microcenter. Make sure you have at least 16gb of ram.

So cost wise the 3010 will be anywhere from $120-170. It will have 8-16 gb of ram included, i7-3770, a cheap radeon gpu in most cases, and a 500gb 7200 rpm drive. You can go cheap and toss in another 7200 rpm drive for about 45 for a 2tb... or a 480gb ssd for about 70 for the inland. If it only has 8 gb of ram you can get another 8gb of ddr3 for about 45-50.

So depending on how cheap you want to go you can have a "server" for around 150 on average without anything extra... or you can invest another 200 bucks and have a 16gb, 480gb x2 raid 0 ssd setup. As for game servers this will give you really good performance. It should have enough juice to run 2-3 game servers (depends on game) a teamspeak server and still be able to do your .net and other installs. It will by far be the cheapest option you will find.  Outside of that you can pick up an older actual server with the X5xxx line. Dual 6 cores and plenty of ram for pretty cheap... but they are loud, big, and suck down power.

I am speaking all in USD btw so in pounds 94-235 would be your estimated cost range depending on how little or much you wish to do.

If you do want new though... I would go with this instead of yours. This will give you hyper-threading capabilities. I went with a 480gb SSD... which for a few gamer servers, os, and the stuff you mentioned should be enough storage. I went with a cheap case, better ram, and a decent PSU. Oh and I went with a motherboard that supported 4 ram sticks.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/y7b6pG
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/y7b6pG/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (£147.31 @ Box Limited)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£52.49 @ Novatech)
Memory: Kingston - Predator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£83.91 @ BT Shop)
Storage: Kingston - A400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GT 710 1GB Video Card  (£29.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: BitFenix - Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  (£23.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: be quiet! - Pure Power 10 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£34.97 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £442.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-16 21:31 BST+0100