I7 8700 OR i-5 8600k for gaming?

Doing a new PC build for 1080p 144hz monitor gaming, and am torn between these two. For what it's worth, I don't know how much I'll overclock the K, because I've never oc'd before. Cost is certainly a factor, trying to keep the build under 800 US. Also, I don't play AAA games-I'm pretty basic-Overwatch, maybe some WOW-however I do like streaming on occasion. Going to microcenter in the next week or so, would love to have some good feedback! 

Also looking at microcenter-the 8700 is about 60$ more than the K.

What GPU?
Just give always us full build specs in case we need more than what you originally thought was necessary :)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

I mean while the i7 8700 is 60$ more pricey it allows you cheap up on motherboard and cooling so all in all the price is the same if not even cheaper with the i7.

Either will work specially for not that demanding games.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

For streaming you'll want the extra threads from the 8700. Especially for when/if you want to start getting serious.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

28 minutes ago, cbranham26 said:

An R5 1600 or 2600 because they're a better value due to price .

If you're going to be doing streaming grab an R7 1700, they hover around $200 right now.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

If you don't play a lot of triple-A titles you'd honestly be fine with an i5-8400 or Ryzen 2600 - both chips can probably average 200+fps in CSGO and WoW no problem.  The i5 is usually a little cheaper and doesn't need faster ram, but the r5 would be a little better for streaming at the same time.  It won't take a lot to get high framerates for the types of games you mentioned. 

But if you do stick to your other choices, I'd say the 8600k would be about 5-15% faster in single threaded performance than the 8700 depending on the overclock, but you give up hyper threading which gives you about another 30-40% in multi-threaded workloads.  Also as mentioned, less you need to spend on cooling and the motherboard, so the 8600k only ends up being marginally cheaper than the 8700.  

Either way you will need to make sure you have a great cooling system. I personally have a water cooler on my cpu. I like it because the temps never go over 30 degrees Celsius. And that is when stress testing. But make sure the fan blows in instead of out. The air outside of the case is a lot colder than the air inside the case.

5 hours ago, Sg1maniac said:

Either way you will need to make sure you have a great cooling system. 

Not for the i7 8700 at stock. A lower tier midrange solution would definitely suffice.

I like it because the temps never go over 30 degrees Celsius

Yeah, unless you are using a chiller or you are using your whatever-k to write word documents only that is most definitely factually wrong.

But make sure the fan blows in instead of out

Another general statement for good measure. No, this is not true either. Adjust depending on your setup.

I have seen a watercooling build log in a Meshify C where aquiring cool air from the back side of the case and exhausting it through top was much more benefitial than the other way around. It just all depends on your circumstance. If you have and aircooled GPU and a watercooled CPU you probably should not intake from inside the case.

Make such a broad statement and stating it as if it was fact is generally dumb because there can always be cases made against you. Be specific and you won't have this issue.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system