Intel falls further behind as ~0nm transistors created

rcmaehl
4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

This news has nothing to do with intel so why is intel even in the title?

it's not ok to kick someone when they are down. Poor Intel :$

1 hour ago, Phentos said:

For now.

No, forever. Quantum computers are great at very specific workloads but break down entirely under others.

Even the top experts all agree that's it's incredibly unlikely a QC will ever replace a silicon computer. Think of it like an oven and a microwave, the 2 things do very similar workloads but they do it in very different ways and one doesn't cancel out the other. You wouldn't try to roast a chicken in a microwave and you won't be gaming on a QC.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Think of it like an oven and a microwave, the 2 things do very similar workloads but they do it in very different ways and one doesn't cancel out the other. You wouldn't try to roast a chicken in a microwave and you won't be gaming on a QC.

Case in point:

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Lab results don't count all that much. We have graphene and super batteries in labs all around the world and have had that for a good number of years in one form or another; yet here we are.

Carbon Nanotubes have been "the next big thing" since before Duke Nukem Forever was vaporware. It's still into the realm of Fusion Power.

As for CPUs, I thing to keep in mind is that there is something like 5 or 6 different generations already well in the works. The actual structure of the transistor itself can shrink, while the spacing won't necessarily. There's also room for different ISAs in the future, and, potentially, multi-state but not Quantum computers. There's still a long way to go on the CPU engineering train.

58 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:
  • is it drop Linus proof?

I corrected your statement

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

3 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

Case in point:

This reminds me I'm behind on an episode of S;G 0 Be back in like 45 minutes.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Might as well use picometres... 0.2nm is 200pm.

200pm small transistors doesn't sound nearly as impressive as 0nm small transistors though. 200 is a bigger number than 10/7, didn't you know? xP

pressf.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I agree with many others here. This is a good POC type thing proving you can create a single atom transistor, but the problem becomes when you try to pack them on the chip. Even if they are low energy being that close together arcing and electrical leakage in that scenario are going to be big limiters. I mean what is the point of a .2nm transistor if you need 3nm of space to keep them from arcing. I mean we already see issues with this now at 14 and 12 nm. This is one of the main reasons that ln2 is so effective in high OC's btw. It increases the amount of voltage you can apply before these things happen. So at .2nm the amount of voltage would need to be incredibly low... which I just don't see being feesible at room temp.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Lab results don't count all that much. We have graphene and super batteries in labs all around the world and have had that for a good number of years in one form or another; yet here we are.

They do count. Just not immediately. 

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

38 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

They do count. Just not immediately. 

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

And as I said many things don't leave the lab so it's fairly pointless to discuss it as marketable until there's concrete evidence it is. That doesn't mean it isn't news but this has little relevance for Intel or any other foundry for that matter. It's no threat.

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

it's not ok to kick someone when they are down. Poor Intel :$

i don't get why people say stuff like that...intel still produce the fastest and strongest CPU's on the planet at all levels...?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i don't get why people say stuff like that...intel still produce the fastest and strongest CPU's on the planet at all levels...?

image.png.e4c4118f5dad4ca36470f2dd27991120.png

No so fast bucko

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i guess there isn't a CPI to rule them all, but for many cases you can now have a better and cheaper alternative in AMD depending on your needs. And with them not being able to go past 14nm anytime soon it may get worst for them.

15 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

pretty sure amd wins with their 32 core beast against intel's 28 core at least in some scenarios 

15 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

image.png.e4c4118f5dad4ca36470f2dd27991120.png

No so fast bucko

NANOSUITS Says it's next processors will outperfom ARM laptop chips by 259% (you get my point)

11 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i guess there isn't a CPI to rule them all, but for many cases you can now have a better and cheaper alternative in AMD depending on your needs. And with them not being able to go past 14nm anytime soon it may get worst for them.

they are cheaper, maybe better performance per dollar...but for absolute performance, top-end performance, ''if you can spend a bit more and not get AMD'' performance, they are still better, top dog...

''may get worst for them'' intel has unlimited budget, they have fuck you money, they will get out of that hole in no time flat if need be.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, cj09beira said:

pretty sure amd wins with their 32 core beast against intel's 28 core at least in some scenarios 

28 intel cores > 32 AMD cores...in all scenarios...heck 6 intel cores is better than 8 AMD cores in nearly all scenarios already...

You guys lost the plot somewhere :)

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

28 intel cores > 32 AMD cores...in all scenarios...heck 6 intel cores is better than 8 AMD cores in nearly all scenarios already...

You guys lost the plot somewhere :)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade/16

you lost your plot somewhere along the way

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

A synthetic benchmark says a cpu with more threads is faster, wow no way?

For real world server workload Intel is still faster, https://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade/18

Not sure why this thread turned into another AMD vs. Intel war, other than the clickbait headline that has nothing to do with the source articles.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A synthetic benchmark says a cpu with more threads is faster, wow no way?

For real world server workload Intel is still faster, https://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade/18

Not sure why this thread turned into another AMD vs. Intel war, other than the clickbait headline that has nothing to do with the source articles.

jumping straight to the only test where epyc does badly, biased much see 17 19 both show great results 

How do you even make a thing from one single atom? How do you access it? Where does stuff go in and out? Where do you even store a single atom and still have it in your view at all times knowing what exactly it does? 

Se Germans... 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I'm calling bullshit here. This is how they explain it works:

In Advanced Materials, the KIT researchers present the transistor that reaches the limits of miniaturization. The scientists produced two minute metallic contacts. Between them, there is a gap as wide as a single metal atom.

“By an electric control pulse, we position a single silver atom into this gap and close the circuit,” Professor Thomas Schimmel explains. “When the silver atom is removed again, the circuit is interrupted.”

Clearly the picture used in the article is not this because it's fuck hueg compared to 1 atom. I guess so they could show it? They could have at least provided electron scanning microscope pictures or something.

I'm still in for light based cpus in the long term

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

3 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

200pm small transistors doesn't sound nearly as impressive as 0nm small transistors though. 200 is a bigger number than 10/7, didn't you know? xP

I heard that bigger is better linus_yes48x48.png.902df4b75ebb1b6f60bf7b87817566d0.png

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is not the first time scientists have played around with single atoms:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The click-baitest of titles.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒