Alexa integration comes to Cortana on Windows 10 PCs

Speed Weed

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/alexa-integration-comes-cortana-windows-10-pcs

In the real world, no one relies on one person for all their needs — fixing a car’s engine requires different skills than offering financial advice or caring for a baby. So it makes sense that people would rely on two digital assistants to stay on top of their home and work lives — but also want the two of them to work together at times.

Now, Amazon’s Alexa and Microsoft’s Cortana are taking the next step in a collaboration announced last fall. U.S. customers who are interested in early access to the collaboration will be able to summon Cortana on Echo devices and enable Alexa on their Windows 10 PCs and Harman Kardon Invoke speakers. As part of a public preview releasing this week, they also can offer feedback on how to improve the experience.
Microsoft Blog: Microsoft, Amazon release preview of Alexa and Cortana collaboration - The AI Blog

I hate Cortana, but I am cool with Alexa; however, I am not going to use any of them on my desktop nor my laptop because I find them to be useless. It is not far away to reach your dam keyboard and mouse to open up the app or file explorer to search your private 18+ pictures or videos. 

You ever start to think that The Terminator was less of a dystopian future sci-fi work and far more of a pre-documentary? Skynet clearly approaches, and it's going to come with a calming female-like voice. That's the part that maybe is a little surprising. 

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You ever start to think that The Terminator was less of a dystopian future sci-fi work and far more of a pre-documentary? Skynet clearly approaches, and it's going to come with a calming female-like voice. That's the part that maybe is a little surprising. 

Soon they will obliterate us once they mass produce themselves. 

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I predict a far less violent and a far more "bizarre" future for Artificial Intelligence. Something akin to social horrors like the movie Get Out or Stepford Wives.  

The only thing I use a voice-assistant for is telling Siri to set a timer for my oven. That actually is faster than opening the app and inputting the time. Apart from that, I really don't use virtual assistant and I definitely don't want to use it on my PC. My mind could change in the future but it's not useful enough yet.

Back when they were gonna break up M$ back in the 90s they must have made Gates agree to do the govt a favor if they let him keep M$ intact. 

A free voice and data collection OS which integrates NSA style spying must have been part of the deal.

But, why? I haven't used either, can one do something the other can't?

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

5 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

With the right accessories Alexa can do quite a lot in terms of a "smart home," which Cortana can't do. I can see myself using this from time to time ngl.

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

7 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

The only thing I use a voice-assistant for is telling Siri to set a timer for my oven. That actually is faster than opening the app and inputting the time. Apart from that, I really don't use virtual assistant and I definitely don't want to use it on my PC. My mind could change in the future but it's not useful enough yet.

I use Alexa to set the timer for hot water, oven, washing etc. It's very handy. It's also nice to specific songs while cleaning up/ironing and stuff without getting distracted

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Meh, don't need either. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Interesting, but why would you need both?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

17 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

I think alexa can perform basic functions... so yeah.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

2 hours ago, Natsoup said:

I think alexa can perform basic functions... so yeah.

But why would you need both? Wouldn't you just want the more useful one?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

One more "feature" I'll never use.

11 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

Interesting, but why would you need both?

Why would you need either one for that matter?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh cool, more bloat that I'll never use.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

23 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I do that with google. I have my hands dirty with flour or some sauce, so i would not touch my poor phone

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

I mean I will never use it.

One because they are not useful enough for me. 

Two because they are so annoying they go off at random times, half the time they do not get what you said right and because we are going to have 2 annoying assistants now. Also now we have even more names we can not say in one room (if you have an iPhone you have Siri and, Alexa and Cortana on Windows)

DOUBLE TROUBLE!!

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

One more "feature" I'll never use.

Why would you need either one for that matter?

I don't know. . .

"Reasons"?

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

4 hours ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

I don't know. . .

"Reasons"?

Ikr. Some people like to pretend a voice activated gadget is actually high tech Jetsons style futurism. Too bad its just an ad revenue/spying device where the user is the product being monetized.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:06 AM, ZacoAttaco said:

I'm old school, My oven sends me smoke signals when dinner is done.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.