wayland64

LG Gram 13, Loud

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Hi there, so it is pretty basic. I just got the Lg Gram 13, with the i5-8250u. And out of the box, it is noticeably loud, and this is surprising. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to quiet the machine down since even sitting idle the fan is spinning and while web browsing the computer is anywhere from 75-80c which seem hotter than it should be any help is appreciated.

edit- it seems to be continually turboing up to 3.3ghz even at 20% utilization

Edited by wayland64

Make sure you have your windows power mode set to balanced. You can change this in Edit Power Plan. You should not be setting it to High Performance on modern hardware. If this isn't the problem then perhaps look for a BIOS update, look at the change log and see if there are any mentions of changes to power or fan profiles in the change logs.

I don't own an LG gram, but its quite a powerful computer with a large battery in a small size, its wont be silent. But I have no reference point having never used a gram.

Undervolt or repaste. This is normal for KBL-R Ultrabooks so no need to worry

Laptop Specs:

Spoiler

My Laptop - Legion Y530 (review coming soon)

Intel Core i5 8300H 2.3-4.0GHZ Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHZ RAM SC Samsung PM981 NVMe 256GB SSD Nvidia GTX 1050TI 2GB 144Hz LG IPS panel

Brother's Laptop - Aspire 5

Intel Core i5 8250U 1.6-3.4GHZ 4GB+4GB DDR4 2400MHZ RAM WD 1TB HDD+Samsung 850 EVO M.2 250GB Nvidia MX150 2GB

Laptop Reviews:

My Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM)

Laptop recommender and enthusiast

Ultrabooks/regular laptops approval list (Malaysia)

Gaming laptops approval list (Malaysia)

"buy model not brand, brand is less relevant"