What does this do exactly?

Go to solution Solved by PlayStation 2,
17 minutes ago, The Cheeto Bomb said:

If my disc becomes unreadable due to scratches, can I use this to play it as long as the disc is in?

Pretty much. As long as the console can tell what game it is, it can be played off of the hard drive.

I put the disc in, press X, and there is a install option. What does this do? It is a disc game.

20180815_165436.jpg

Main pc

CPU: AMD RYZEN 2200G || GPU: EVGA GTX 780 || PSU: EVGA 500W  ||  MOBO: MSI B350M MORTAR ||

RAM: BALLISTIX SPORT LT 12GB (4X3) DDR4 3133 MHz ||  CPU COOLER: AMD WRAITH STEALTH || SSD: SILICON POWER S55 120GB (BOOT) ||

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB BLUE 7.2K RPM, 200GB random Toshiba HDD || CASE: Thermaltake View 28 ||

Consoles

|| XBOX 360 || NINTENDO WII U || PLAYSTATION 3 || PSVita (1000 model, henkaku fw 3.87 || NINTENDO 3DS XL || Nintendo Switch Lite ||

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Helps load times 

@The Cheeto Bomb

Pretty much this. It will move files from the disc onto the internal disk drive to speed up loading times. If the game is large and consists of many small files, it can be a huge difference, since access times on optical media are measured in hundreds of milliseconds, whereas seek times on even the slowest hard disk are at worst 20ms.

The potential improvements in load times are greater if you have a solid state drive in your machine, but games don't see as much of a gain from solid state storage as normal pcs running standard apps do.

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

@The Cheeto Bomb

Pretty much this. It will move files from the disc onto the internal disk drive to speed up loading times. If the game is large and consists of many small files, it can be a huge difference, since access times on optical media are measured in hundreds of milliseconds, whereas seek times on even the slowest hard disk are at worst 20ms.

The potential improvements in load times are greater if you have a solid state drive in your machine, but games don't see as much of a gain from solid state storage as normal pcs running standard apps do.

If my disc becomes unreadable due to scratches, can I use this to play it as long as the disc is in?

Main pc

CPU: AMD RYZEN 2200G || GPU: EVGA GTX 780 || PSU: EVGA 500W  ||  MOBO: MSI B350M MORTAR ||

RAM: BALLISTIX SPORT LT 12GB (4X3) DDR4 3133 MHz ||  CPU COOLER: AMD WRAITH STEALTH || SSD: SILICON POWER S55 120GB (BOOT) ||

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB BLUE 7.2K RPM, 200GB random Toshiba HDD || CASE: Thermaltake View 28 ||

Consoles

|| XBOX 360 || NINTENDO WII U || PLAYSTATION 3 || PSVita (1000 model, henkaku fw 3.87 || NINTENDO 3DS XL || Nintendo Switch Lite ||

17 minutes ago, The Cheeto Bomb said:

Pretty much. As long as the console can tell what game it is, it can be played off of the hard drive.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:46 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Sweet

On 8/15/2018 at 6:12 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

-Moved to Console Gaming-

Awe man. Well it started as a question, but it is a console question I guess.

Main pc

Consoles

6 hours ago, The Cheeto Bomb said:

I put the disc in, press X, and there is a install option. What does this do? It is a disc game.

It installs the game to the Harddisk of the 360 so that you need the Disk only for loading/as a Dongle.

Once it is on the Disk, it reduces load times.

Only works if you have a HDD inside, not the 4GB One. Though you can mod some HDDs to work with the 360 and the HDD Bay is available in some shopping portals.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

If you do not have a HDD, here's a list of compatible Drives:

Works with the following Western Digital drive series: [BEAS/BEVS/BEVT/BPVT/LPVT/BEKT/BJKT/BPKT/BUDT/HLFS/BLFS]

You can get the HDD Case for like 5 bucks for the Slim, the Fat is another thing.

And with that List above you could also upgrade your internal HDD to another one, though you need a specific WD Model 

On 8/16/2018 at 11:01 PM, Stefan Payne said:

If you do not have a HDD, here's a list of compatible Drives:

Works with the following Western Digital drive series: [BEAS/BEVS/BEVT/BPVT/LPVT/BEKT/BJKT/BPKT/BUDT/HLFS/BLFS]

You can get the HDD Case for like 5 bucks for the Slim, the Fat is another thing.

And with that List above you could also upgrade your internal HDD to another one, though you need a specific WD Model 

I already have hdd for the fat. 

Main pc

Consoles

6 hours ago, The Cheeto Bomb said:

I already have hdd for the fat. 

Ah, great.

Now you know that you could upgrade it, if you wanted to :)

Just look for "Hack HDD for XBox 360". I did that with a WD Black, 250GB in my Slim. And just jamed the HDD into the HDD Bay, without the Casing...

The interesting thing is that you could, theoretically, use a 15mm big HDD in there...