speeds not realized, anything I can do?

MightyUnit

I have a 73 meter run of cat5e on my yard that goes from my house to my shop. My ProSafe switches on either end only run at 100Mbps and I would like to reach 1000Mbps. If I power cycle one of the switches it seems to momentarily connect at 1000 and then quickly reverts to 100. I am a novice and would like to ask if there are suggestions to improve my chances of getting it to work. Thank you!!

EDIT: 

I do NOT have the ability to add a booster switch between both buildings 

Yes I ran the wire myself. Would you please tell me the various ways I may have done it improperly? thanks

Is it properly outdoor rated cable earthed at both ends?  Outdoor ethernet cable picks up a lot more interference than indoors, thus why outdoor graded exists.

Also a common problem in general with making your own cables is crimping the RJ45 connectors badly.  I found my tool doesn't always work right if I do not move the connector out a bit and do a second or third crimp so that its even across the whole contact.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Most negotiation type of issues are related to the terminations.  Since you have a pretty long run you have less headroom than shorter runs (needs the least amount of loss, tightest connections).  

See if you can reterminate one or both ends, conversely I would just run fiber to reduce the lighting risk.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

7 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Most negotiation type of issues are related to the terminations.  Since you have a pretty long run you have less headroom than shorter runs (needs the least amount of loss, tightest connections).  

See if you can reterminate one or both ends, conversely I would just run fiber to reduce the lighting risk.

Grounding at both ends (which should be done anyway for outdoor ethernet cables) should mitigate the lightening risk, although I agree that fibre would be the optimal option all things considered.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• Are you sure the prosafes are both gigabit switches?
  • Log into one of the prosafes, usually they have a cable test feature. At 73m it should give you some idea, with short cables the test is more of a works or doesnt lol.
  • If you don't do a good job terminating the cables (you're supposed to leave as much twists as possible) at that length you may have issues. For example when you're ordering the cables, you untwist them to make it easier - but you should cut off excess after ordering them. The insulation should be inside the RJ45 connector.
  • image.jpeg.fad581a9cb38f9b80cc28ca71e3bcb6e.jpeg Notice how the blue(ish) insulation runs all the way in.
  • You may also need to buy shielded twisted pair, could be some RF outside.. long cable is more susceptible. 
  • Did you test this cable before running it?