Any way to get higher internet speed

HeadShotz

In my street, we can get max of 40Mbps download and 3Mbps upload and the company that provide to my house internet try to sell us 100Mbps and we cannot get that speed due the infrastructure of the new they provide to our street, is there a way to get higher speed or it too complicated and need to pay extra money ?

I know on every contrary it's different but just to be sure because its annoying to get this max speed...

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your isp limits your speed. If you get what your paying for, the only way to get more is to pay more.

I agree. It kind of sounds like in OP's situation the ISP is selling them more than what they are getting, at least that's how I'm reading it. If that's the case then complain and tell them they are giving you much less than what you pay for.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You could always pull a Linus:

Although the most useful and realistic is probably.

Although this one only increases page response/page load times, not bandwidth or speeds.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I agree. It kind of sounds like in OP's situation the ISP is selling them more than what they are getting, at least that's how I'm reading it. If that's the case then complain and tell them they are giving you much less than what you pay for.

So I should tell them I want to pay for 100Mbps and then tell them I'm not getting it and they will "upgrade" what they can provide on my street? 

this company provide max internet of 200Mbps there is more companies that provide more than that even 1Gbps but they also cant provide it to my house because of my street is pretty old (over 25 years lol) 

Just now, rcmaehl said:

You could always pull a Linus:

Although the most useful and realistic is probably.

Although this one only increases page response/page load times, not bandwidth or speeds.

Lol ^^

1 minute ago, HeadShotz said:

-snip-

I thought you were saying you were paying for 100Mbps and only getting 40Mbps but if you're only paying for 40Mbps then you'd have to pay more to get 100Mbps, if they offer it to you.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, HeadShotz said:

So I should tell them I want to pay for 100Mbps and then tell them I'm not getting it and they will "upgrade" what they can provide on my street? 

this company provide max internet of 200Mbps there is more companies that provide more than that even 1Gbps but they also cant provide it to my house because of my street is pretty old (over 25 years lol) 

Lol ^^

Unfortunately, the contract for your ISP likely states that you'll be on the hook for infrastructure changes for example:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3ky5q3/why-spectrum-asked-a-man-to-pay-dollar133000-to-install-broadband-internet-in-nyc

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

My guess would be they are providing FTTC (is the service via the phone line?) and the 100Mbit service they offer is via fibre, which your street doesn't have.  If so its unlikely they would even accept the order for 100Mbit, or they might (as sales staff aren't necessarily that knowledgeable) then cancel it once they find its technically impossible.

Its usually possible to still get it, if you pay for them to expand the network.  As already pointed out that is REALLY expensive and only really practical if you can do a deal with other people on the street to share the cost.  Even then it would be expensive.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

My guess would be they are providing FTTC (is the service via the phone line?) and the 100Mbit service they offer is via fibre, which your street doesn't have.  If so its unlikely they would even accept the order for 100Mbit, or they might (as sales staff aren't necessarily that knowledgeable) then cancel it.

I'm paying for what I getting now but I want more than that because of it not enough, and they offer the 100Mb service via DSL cable (like what I have right now)

But their customer service told me that in my street I can't get more than 40Mb and the selling service of this company want to sell me 100Mb... 

You think they can provide to me if they use DSL connection to their internet the 100Mb or it can be "old cable" (i mean like the WAN connection CAT 5e/6/7) of the DSL/phone cable in my street?

5 minutes ago, HeadShotz said:

I'm paying for what I getting now but I want more than that because of it not enough, and they offer the 100Mb service via DSL cable (like what I have right now)

But their customer service told me that in my street I can't get more than 40Mb and the selling service of this company want to sell me 100Mb... 

You think they can provide to me if they use DSL connection to their internet the 100Mb or it can be "old cable" (i mean like the WAN connection CAT 5e/6/7) of the DSL/phone cable in my street?

Theoretically if you are close enough to the cabinet you "might" get more than 40Mbit on the 100Mbit package, but if they say they can't offer 100Mbit then it likely means you are too far (more than about 300m or so) for the full speed.

So it could very well be worth seeing if they will upgrade you anyway and see how fast it goes, but you would likely be tied into a minimum contract, even if you only got a tiny speed boost (unless you can agree with them to downgrade you if it doesn't meet your expectations).  That said, if that speed boost increases your upload speed too it could still be worth it depending on what you are using it for.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

8 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Just log into you're modem and check you're line sync.

Not so much the sync, but the attainable sync, which is a prediction of what maximum speed it can handle on your line.  Can't believe I forgot that on my previous post.

9 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Just log into you're modem and check you're line sync.

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not so much the sync, but the attainable sync, which is a prediction of what maximum speed it can handle on your line.  Can't believe I forgot that on my previous post.

Just checked the line properties on my modem settings and the max I can get is 56Mb down and 14Mb up 

So the only way to get 100Mb or higher is to pay for new line/fiber?

17 minutes ago, HeadShotz said:

Just checked the line properties on my modem settings and the max I can get is 56Mb down and 14Mb up 

So the only way to get 100Mb or higher is to pay for new line/fiber?

Well if they let you order the 100Mbit package as it stands right now you "might" get those speeds, so it depends if its worth it.  Trouble is attainable is an estimate, so you might get more, might get less, and your ISP might outright refuse to accept the order.

If its not too much more, I'd probably try it as the only other way you are going to get any faster is if they bring the connection closer either via a newer cabinet (unlikely) or bringing a fibre link to your street.

If you have more than one phone socket in the property it can help to try and find the nearest to the line coming into the house to plug the modem/router into, can help attain a better speed, but again on your current package its not going above 40Mbit.

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Well if they let you order the 100Mbit package as it stands right now you "might" get those speeds, so it depends if its worth it.  Trouble is attainable is an estimate, so you might get more, might get less, and your ISP might outright refuse to accept the order.

If its not too much more, I'd probably try it as the only other way you are going to get any faster is if they bring the connection closer either via a newer cabinet (unlikely) or bringing a fibre link to your street.

If you have more than one phone socket in the property it can help to try and find the nearest to the line coming into the house to plug the modem/router into, can help attain a better speed, but again on your current package its not going above 40Mbit.

So I only have to wait for now, a new company started to offer fiber and I hope next year they will start providing to my city as they saying 

2 minutes ago, HeadShotz said:

So I only have to wait for now, a new company started to offer fiber and I hope next year they will start providing to my city as they saying 

The waiting game is a pain.  I'm lucky in that I can get 64Mbit real-world speeds right now, but I used to be on 100Mbit so its still kinda a drag once you have gotten used to something and had it taken away.