DIY headphone cable flat braid (like Ursine and VE)?

kxrider85

I want to make a braided headphone cable for my Sennheiser HD 6XX. I can't f

ind a single tutorial online where the finished product looks like what I am looking for.

Most are for light-looking 4 strand round braids:

Spoiler

Image result for flat braid headphone cable

but those have this "loose" look like from the picture above. Rather, this is what I am looking for:

Spoiler

Venture electronics:
Venture Electronics Cables â Exclusive Blue

I don't think it is a consequence of the type of braid. Ursine Audio makes round braid cables that are closer to what I am looking for:

Spoiler

Ursine Audio:

[âIMG]

Just notice the much tighter look. In addition, I prefer the "flat" look of the paracord they used. As a matter of fact, I think the finished look actually has something to do with that. I can't figure out if it is a special type of paracord, or if they just ironed a strand of paracord that was a size too big. The only thing missing from the Ursine audio version is the flat braid.

Sorry if this seems kind of all over the place but does anyone have ANY idea how the cables from Venture electronics and/or Ursine Audio are made?

Well, above the splitter they're just twisted, but I couldn't tell you how they stay twisted without coming undone, especially with the paracord...

Below that, a lot of paracord actually has a central "hole" you could fish the wire through. If you're looking to do this yourself just keep in mind that braids take a LOT of cable. Both of the latter examples are probably at least twice as long not braided. Then just look up how to braid ropes, that's really all it is.

*Edit... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=4+strand+flat+braid

#Muricaparrotgang

@kxrider85 Literally after 2 min of Google http://headphone.guru/a-diy-journey-project-1-that-first-cable/

After that just get a nice Neutrik plug because most of the more expensive ones are just snake oil with unicorn dust (TM) coated ones. and get a pair of those https://www.moon-audio.com/sennheiser-diy-headphone-connectors-for-hd-series.html

16 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Well, above the splitter they're just twisted, but I couldn't tell you how they stay twisted without coming undone, especially with the paracord...

Below that, a lot of paracord actually has a central "hole" you could fish the wire through. If you're looking to do this yourself just keep in mind that braids take a LOT of cable. Both of the latter examples are probably at least twice as long not braided. Then just look up how to braid ropes, that's really all it is.

*Edit... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=4+strand+flat+braid

To twist the tops, you just keep a lot of tension on the wires and switch hands until they are twisted. I saw a tutorial on it. I know how to make the particular four strand flat braid I want. Thanks anyway :P

15 hours ago, Niksa said:

@kxrider85 Literally after 2 min of Google http://headphone.guru/a-diy-journey-project-1-that-first-cable/

After that just get a nice Neutrik plug because most of the more expensive ones are just snake oil with unicorn dust (TM) coated ones. and get a pair of those https://www.moon-audio.com/sennheiser-diy-headphone-connectors-for-hd-series.html

I have seen that tutorial. It's good, but 1. its an example of the style I don't want and 2. the author never finished writing part two lol.

Consider these two images:

Spoiler

What I don't want:
Black and

Spoiler

What I do want:
Image result for venture electronics headphone cable

Notice on the bottom one: the braid is not only flat, but the paracord itself also looks flat. I can't figure out if they ironed it, or if its just coreless paracord or what... Either way, I think the finished product on the bottom looks much nicer than the light, flimsy looking cable in the top image (the red and black). The problem is, every single online tutorial looks like the top picture. I can't figure out how to make a cable whose finished product looks remotely close to the finished product in the bottom image.

The only way I could see those wires reliably staying that tight are some for of glue or some kind of very stiff wire.

I'm also telling you that most paracord doesn't have a solid interior. Most I've seen is "hollow."

Sorry man, but just Googling "flat paracord" gives you what you're looking for.

https://www.theparacordstore.com/coreless-paracord.html

https://www.paracordplanet.com/paracord/650-paracord/coreless/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsKyZnPDy3AIVAqvsCh1btANnEAAYASAAEgLFtfD_BwE

Hate to be a dick, but this is literally a case of "Google what you want."

#Muricaparrotgang

6 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

The only way I could see those wires reliably staying that tight are some for of glue or some kind of very stiff wire.

I'm also telling you that most paracord doesn't have a solid interior. Most I've seen is "hollow."

Sorry man, but just Googling "flat paracord" gives you what you're looking for.

https://www.theparacordstore.com/coreless-paracord.html

https://www.paracordplanet.com/paracord/650-paracord/coreless/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsKyZnPDy3AIVAqvsCh1btANnEAAYASAAEgLFtfD_BwE

Hate to be a dick, but this is literally a case of "Google what you want."

Yeah I saw that already. I do google fyi >:^( . I just don't know if that's what I need though; I can only guess. I have never dealt with paracord and don't own cables from Venture electronics or ursine audio. I don't really care to make ten cables just to get the look I want on one.

I was just hoping someone here actually had some insight on VE's and ursine's style of making cables. Maybe there is a mega thread on HeadFi I can ask. This was just the first place I thought to ask because I have enough posts to make a new thread. 

4 minutes ago, kxrider85 said:

Yeah I saw that already. I do google fyi >:^( . I just don't know if that's what I need though; I can only guess. I have never dealt with paracord and don't own cables from Venture electronics or ursine audio. I don't really care to make ten cables just to get the look I want on one.

I was just hoping someone here actually had some insight on VE's and ursine's style of making cables. Maybe there is a mega thread on HeadFi I can ask. This was just the first place I thought to ask because I have enough posts to make a new thread. 

I dunno man. It's $7 for 100 feet. You could easily resell that. The second link is definitely flat braid paracord. Then it's just a matter of the style of braid they use.

I guess you want the braided look, but wouldn't it be easier to just fish all the cables through one piece of paracord and have it be really thin?

#Muricaparrotgang

9 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I dunno man. It's $7 for 100 feet. You could easily resell that. The second link is definitely flat braid paracord. Then it's just a matter of the style of braid they use.

I guess you want the braided look, but wouldn't it be easier to just fish all the cables through one piece of paracord and have it be really thin?

Believe it or not, there is some science behind braiding cables themselves: it helps a little with interference and what-not. I think I am going to ask the DIY megathread on headfi and update this thread as I figure stuff out. Thanks for the help so far!

43 minutes ago, kxrider85 said:

Believe it or not, there is some science behind braiding cables themselves: it helps a little with interference and what-not. I think I am going to ask the DIY megathread on headfi and update this thread as I figure stuff out. Thanks for the help so far!

I don't think that necessarily applies with thick paracord in the way, but I'm not an expert. Good luck.

Edit

You could also easily braid the wire before sending it through the paracord, which would help the most in terms of noise.

#Muricaparrotgang

14 hours ago, kxrider85 said:

Believe it or not, there is some science behind braiding cables themselves: it helps a little with interference and what-not.

I disagree. Interference from an insulated conductor at such a low voltage/current is negligible.

CPU: i7-5820k (4.7GHz/1.292V)                             RAM: Cruital Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4                                Case: NZXT H440 Razer Sound: SVS Ultra Bookshelves / SVS SB13-Ultra / Marantz SR7008

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3                                         Storage: Samsung 840 Evo (500GB)  + WD Black (1TB)    PSU: EVGA G2-1000        M/KB: Razer Ouroboros / Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 

Mobo: MSI X99S Sli Plus                                         GPU: EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid                                     OS: Windows 10               Monitor: BenQ XL2720Z / Asus PG348Q

5 hours ago, Reckless95 said:

I disagree. Interference from an insulated conductor at such a low voltage/current is negligible.

Perhaps. I can't find a whole lot of useful information on electrical interference in audio cables, but simply doing it the right way the first time is easier than doing it twice.

4 hours ago, kxrider85 said:

Perhaps. I can't find a whole lot of useful information on electrical interference in audio cables, but simply doing it the right way the first time is easier than doing it twice.

Then in all seriousness and actuality, just twist (or braid) the wires together and sleeve them through a single piece of paracord.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Then in all seriousness and actuality, just twist (or braid) the wires together and sleeve them through a single piece of paracord.

Never! I insist on doing it the right way and I am legitimately curious how Venture electronics and ursine does it. 

1 hour ago, kxrider85 said:

Never! I insist on doing it the right way and I am legitimately curious how Venture electronics and ursine does it. 

"Right way."

It's the "aesthetic" way. The right way to reduce noise would be to twist them and keep them together. But there's nothing really wrong doing it your way.

#Muricaparrotgang

15 hours ago, kxrider85 said:

All you need is a conductor that can handle the current. I don’t see how this is different from speakers. Anything above which was already mentioned is for aesthetics and nothing more. 

CPU: i7-5820k (4.7GHz/1.292V)                             RAM: Cruital Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4                                Case: NZXT H440 Razer Sound: SVS Ultra Bookshelves / SVS SB13-Ultra / Marantz SR7008

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3                                         Storage: Samsung 840 Evo (500GB)  + WD Black (1TB)    PSU: EVGA G2-1000        M/KB: Razer Ouroboros / Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 

Mobo: MSI X99S Sli Plus                                         GPU: EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid                                     OS: Windows 10               Monitor: BenQ XL2720Z / Asus PG348Q

1 hour ago, Reckless95 said:

All you need is a conductor that can handle the current. I don’t see how this is different from speakers. Anything above which was already mentioned is for aesthetics and nothing more. 

Exactly. This is only for aesthetics. I really don't care about doing anything more than the bare minimum to ensure decent sound quality. As I said before, I am just curious how Ursine and Venture electronics achieve their aesthetics. They are quite unique and nobody has asked before.

(No reply on HeadFi yet)