Ssd caching or ssd for OS alone?

Mustalem93

Hello

I bought a used prebuilt from gigabyte . It has a 500gb hdd . I just bought a 128 gb ssd to os,  browser and programs storage or maybe I can add a small size frequently played game on it. On the other hand , am thinking of using it as a cache for my hdd  . What do you think?

Hello Mustalem93,

If you tend to do several different tasks then yes go for it and use your SSD for cache of the HDD, it will load them faster... In the other hand, running your OS from the SSD will definitely give you better transfer rates than accelerating one HDD with a SSD. If you stick to one application most of the time like a video game for example, then I wouldn't do anything about the cache, it is not needed. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Can I have two partitions in the ssd one cached and one not?

There is one tool that claims to do this, I have never done it myself but I quote the following from their website: https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/

"If you have a SSD and a mechanical disk on your system, you are able to partition a portion or all of this SSD as cache to accelerate the mechanical disk."

I will paste the link to download the tool:

You definitely would like to read the manual to learn their software and learn how to do this:

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

26 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

There is one tool that claims to do this, I have never done it myself but I quote the following from their website: https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/

"If you have a SSD and a mechanical disk on your system, you are able to partition a portion or all of this SSD as cache to accelerate the mechanical disk."

I will paste the link to download the tool:

You definitely would like to read the manual to learn their software and learn how to do this:

Thanks for your help 

Happy to have Seagate hdd ?

Oh really! That's so cool! ;) What drive do you have?

10 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Oh really! That's so cool! ;) What drive do you have?

15343624641857598181736194138237.thumb.jpg.97b1ec9853a52ec485f8e2232000ee2e.jpg

Also I have a barracuda 1tb in my media prebuilt

That's great and thanks for your preference! I come here everyday so feel free to ask any questions you may have, just tag me or send me a private message.