Good way to backup files

Benliam12

Hi, I have a computer at my office that is only use to share datas. Our backup system is pretty crap (we have to insert a CD with a program, restart the PC and let it god for several hours to complete the backup) 

I'd like to know if you guys have any GOOD software we could use to do a complete mirror backup on an external disk. We would also want something that could be run during working times so we don't need to shutdown the machine everytime we want to do a backup.

Thanks ;)

Edit : System is running Windows

CPU - R9 5900X | GPU - ASUS KO RTX 3070 | Storage - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 8TB Seagate HDD , 4TB Seagate HDD | Ram - 64GB DDR4 | OS - Windows 10 Pro | Case - NZXT S340 black

Windows back up is pretty good actually.  Creating restore points from the system is handy.

For disk images I have used Macrium Reflect and stored everything on a Drobo, which creates a raid from the drivers you put in it.

I suggest using a folder/file syncing program, such as FreeFileSync, for backing up data only (Folder/file syncing is not suitable for backing up System files, such as the OS and programs). Folder/file syncing, when set to Mirror Mode (not the same as RAID 1), will compare the source drive with the destination drive, then it will copy any new or changed files that are on the source drive (but not on the destination drive) to the destination drive. Any files on the destination drive that are no longer on the source drive will be deleted from the destination drive (at no time will folders and files on the source drive be touched in any way). This will result in essentially a clone of the source drive on the destination drive. Since, after the initial sync, only files added, changed or deleted are affected, updating the destination drive (the backup) will take far less time than imaging or true cloning.

One feature many folder/file syncing programs, including FreeFileSync, have is called Versioning. When enabled, which I strongly recommend, it will direct files deleted from the destination drive to a user designated versioning folder or drive. This protects data from accidental deletion.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

6 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Windows back up is pretty good actually.  Creating restore points from the system is handy.

For disk images I have used Macrium Reflect and stored everything on a Drobo, which creates a raid from the drivers you put in it.

Curious. I see far more posts from people having problems using Windows backup than from other imaging programs.

While imaging is essential for backing up System files (OS and programs), it is too time consuming and inefficient and wastes too much space for backing up data only. Folder/file syncing is far more efficent and is much faster.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Curious. I see far more posts from people having problems using Windows backup than from other imaging programs.

While imaging is essential for backing up System files (OS and programs), it is too time consuming and inefficient and wastes too much space for backing up data only. Folder/file syncing is far more efficent and is much faster.

Absolutely agree on the second point.  When the OP said mirror I assumed disk image.

As far as windows goes, I haven't had it fail on me with this latest machine and windows updates (about the last 6 months).  Fingers crossed...

What I need is something that could backup the whole system so in case the system main disk fails, I can get a new one and copie over the backup I have made.

CPU - R9 5900X | GPU - ASUS KO RTX 3070 | Storage - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 8TB Seagate HDD , 4TB Seagate HDD | Ram - 64GB DDR4 | OS - Windows 10 Pro | Case - NZXT S340 black

11 minutes ago, Benliam12 said:

What I need is something that could backup the whole system so in case the system main disk fails, I can get a new one and copie over the backup I have made.

give the built in windows backup a try first. Its built in and can do file and image backups.

I don't know the scope of your work, but ideally the IT person has a base image already - and all you'd have to restore are your files and settings.

Symantec/Veritas does a pretty good job with backups, allows you to create a "CD" from your backups in order to restore your PC.