Apple's claiming their headquarters is worth only $200

Jtalk4456
On 8/20/2018 at 4:21 AM, mr moose said:

we have that here, they call them income tax brackets,  there's a stupid crossover between each one where by going just into the next pay bracket you actually pay more tax than you got in the pay rise,  meaning your weekly take home goes down from an increased pay packet.  Fortunately you get it all back at he end of the year but still going a whole year on a lower take home isn't easy for some people.

In the U.S. you are only taxed a higher amount on the income above the tax bracket. There is no such thing as going above the pay bracket, then taking home less due to income taxes unless you lose eligibility for some form of financial aid as a result.

https://www.creditkarma.com/tax/i/how-tax-brackets-work/

Common mistake.

You're not in the U.S. and idk why I thought you were. RIP income taxes.

2 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

In the U.S. you are only taxed a higher amount on the income above the tax bracket. There is no such thing as going above the pay bracket, then taking home less due to income taxes unless you lose eligibility for some form of financial aid as a result.

https://www.creditkarma.com/tax/i/how-tax-brackets-work/

Common mistake.

Something the US does that makes life a little easier for the common worker.  Good to see.

In Australia Tax brackets used to have set contribution values per bracket, I have fallen victim to it several times.  Given I have been self employed for the last 9 years it may have changed since then.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 hours ago, mr moose said:

Something the US does that makes life a little easier for the common worker.  Good to see.

In Australia Tax brackets used to have set contribution values per bracket, I have fallen victim to it several times.  Given I have been self employed for the last 9 years it may have changed since then.

Fuckin RIP :( one of the few things the U.S. does okay. Idk why I thought you were in the U.S. I'm not sure who I was thinking of.

Claiming their headquarters is worth only $200 is very unbelievable. With almost 500 open cases dating back to 2004, I think their intention is to keep the case in the court and never pay the actual taxes. But, obviously in the end, they are the ones that will suffer the consequences in their tax avoidance issues. 

3 hours ago, Maria Phene said:

Claiming their headquarters is worth only $200 is very unbelievable. With almost 500 open cases dating back to 2004, I think their intention is to keep the case in the court and never pay the actual taxes. But, obviously in the end, they are the ones that will suffer the consequences in their tax avoidance issues. 

What consequences exactly?

The only one(s) that suffer(s) is the government as a whole, the government that allows these tactics to exist. Apple (and other companies) could only suffer if people start to give a shit (which as a whole they won't, and shouldn't) or if the company's lawyer's go so far past a line that they get hit with a massive fine that's larger than the benefits (which does really happen).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.