Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jtalk4456

Apple's claiming their headquarters is worth only $200

On 8/15/2018 at 11:21 AM, Jtalk4456 said:

From reading the part where they have close to 500 claims open in court, i'd say their intention is not to win, but to keep it in court and never pay the actual taxes. The amount they'll pay in legal fees is nothing compared to taxes on a billion dollar property

Easy solution there is "they have to pay said taxes, which the government will hold, until the case is decided".

Basically make it not worth their while to try bullshit like this. As much as I hate paying taxes, I hate companies dodging taxes in ways that I can't, more. Make them pay regardless, and at that point their just tying up money for no reason.

Or, just close those loopholes for massive, multi-national, multi-state corporations.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

not feeding the troll.

You seem to accuse anyone who can articulate a different viewpoint to yours as a troll.

Apples pricing, marketing and even their design is an affront to intelligence. They epitomize everything wrong with pandering to ignorant consumers.

People use Apple as an example of all kinds of things that theyre antithetical to, including being on the side of the customer. Theyre used as an example of capitalism despite being made in inhumane conditions in a communist country. That theyre "high end" despite being madeby slave labour.

39 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

You seem to accuse anyone who can articulate a different viewpoint to yours as a troll.

Apples pricing, marketing and even their design is an affront to intelligence. They epitomize everything wrong with pandering to ignorant consumers.

People use Apple as an example of all kinds of things that theyre antithetical to, including being on the side of the customer. Theyre used as an example of capitalism despite being made in inhumane conditions in a communist country. That theyre "high end" despite being madeby slave labour.

I 100% agree with all of this.

I'm especially pissed right now because my company is about to pick up a customer that uses Apple products. Considering we only do bulk repair work, I know that this will be 100% a headache.

Whereas certain other companies allow licensed repair facilities to keep parts in stock (to an extent, or in an unnecessarily convoluted way where we allegedly don't ever have parts in stock but actually do....because reasons), and even offer a "guaranteed" "2-day" (subject to random parts shortages that we aren't allowed to inform the customer about) turn around time for "device being received, diagnosed, parts ordered, repaired, and back in the customers hands', I know from the experience of coworkers, that Apple is more like two weeks, if they deign to honor a warranty at all and don't flatout demand ungodly amounts of details then refuse the warranty based on idiotic reasoning.

Dear god I am not looking forward to that headache.

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

No, I call anyone who repeatedly quotes me claiming I represent things I do not trying to encourage a fight is a troll.

Edit to make it less aggressive sounding:  I think all companies do that.

Don't know if you are aware but people use all companies as examples for all things.  It really just depends on whether you have a personal grudge and can't rationalist your emotions as to how much you do it.   I posted links to evidence that apple haven't got clean hands, but that is a different issue and doesn't legitimize or dismiss this particular situation. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

5 hours ago, 79wjd said:

The cost to build something very often isn't representative of worth.

Agreed, but valuing it as 20% of the build price isn't what I'd qualify as "obnoxious".  It's like spending $1 million to build a mansion, and then having it valuated at $200,000.  Or spending $100,00 to build a house, and having it valuated at $20,000.  $1 billion sounds like an obscene amount until you consider it in percentages.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

No, I call anyone who repeatedly quotes me claiming I represent things I do not trying to encourage a fight is a troll.

That's nice.

Don't know if you are aware but people use all companies as examples for all things.  It really just depends on whether you have a personal grudge and can't rationalist your emotions as to how much you do it.   I posted links to evidence that apple haven't got clean hands, but that is a different issue and doesn't legitimize or dismiss this particular situation. 

This claim by Apple is entirely and completely ridiculous, regardless of current tax law and any loopholes that may exist. This claim merely demonstrates the complete absurdity of those laws and loopholes.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

This claim by Apple is entirely and completely ridiculous, regardless of current tax law and any loopholes that may exist. This claim merely demonstrates the complete absurdity of those laws and loopholes.

Then blame the tax laws.  If the laws here said I could start negations on council land rates (we don't call them taxes), then I would be doing exactly the same thing, along with thousands of others.  Doesn't make it an affront to intelligence, unless you are insulted by people making the most of the laws they have to abide by. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Then blame the tax laws.  If the laws here said I could start negations on council land rates (we don't call them taxes), then I would be doing exactly the same thing, along with thousands of others.  Doesn't make it an affront to intelligence, unless you are insulted by people making the most of the laws they have to abide by. 

You make a fair point. It is unrealistic of us to expect one of the more morally egregious companies on the planet to act in a moral way, when the law does not require them to do as such.

This still functions as a fantastic example of how fucking retarded corporate tax laws are.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I think the difference here is that Apple can keep it in limbo while we can't. Taxes that aren't paid for have to be made up somewhere. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I think the difference here is that Apple can keep it in limbo while we can't. Taxes that aren't paid for have to be made up somewhere. 

While I agree absolutely, I would also point out that we could do to have a government that spends a little less recklessly, regardless of who is at the alleged "helm"

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

And who lets them keep it in limbo?  The government can easily close the time a negotiation is permitted to take.  Or even change the law stating that a companies claims must be withing a certain percentage of land value plus capitol improved value. 

All I am saying is there are plenty of resolutions for this and they all lie with the government.  No company or individual is ever going to ask to pay more.

19 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And who lets them keep it in limbo?  The government can easily close the time a negotiation is permitted to take.  Or even change the law stating that a companies claims must be withing a certain percentage of land value plus capitol improved value. 

All I am saying is there are plenty of resolutions for this and they all lie with the government.  No company or individual is ever going to ask to pay more.

While I agree that that is true, I would also say that that is a major problem with our current society.

Capitalism does not mean "make as much money as you can possibly get away with to the detriment of literally everything and everyone else". That perception and attitude is what needs to change as well as people effecting change within their government.

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Capitalism does not mean "make as much money as you can possibly get away with to the detriment of literally everything and everyone else"

That's true, capitalism simply means being able to benefit from the fruits of your own labor.  In other words, capitalism is the epitome of both personal ownership and individual responsibility.  Some only see it as a means to make profit, but it means far more than that.  The ability to make a profit is merely a side-effect of owning the fruits of your own labor.  Those who would abuse capitalism to rip off others, is only considering the ownership perspective while ignoring the essential responsibility inherent in a truly capitalist system.

38 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

While I agree absolutely, I would also point out that we could do to have a government that spends a little less recklessly, regardless of who is at the alleged "helm"

The US government has never been responsible with spending.  Due to war obsession, they tend to focus most of it on that, oil, plenty of illegal things, and more.  I wonder how much they actually spend on things like infrastructure, education, and more things they should be spending it on.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  Dark Rock Pro 4 | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |

Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Due to war obsession, they tend to focus most of it on that

Military spending is one of the few legitimate roles of government in our Constitution.

oil

Clarification?

I wonder how much they actually spend on things like infrastructure, education, and more things they should be spending it on

Absolutely none of those things you mentioned are legitimate roles of government, per our Constitution.

*EDIT*
Sorry, I should rectify that.  Infrastructure may potentially fall under that, depending your definition of "infrastructure".

Edited by Jito463
Correction
13 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Military spending is one of the few legitimate roles of government in our Constitution.

Clarification?

Absolutely none of those things you mentioned are legitimate roles of government, per our Constitution.

*EDIT*
Sorry, I should rectify that.  Infrastructure may potentially fall under that, depending your definition of "infrastructure".

Not the way the US government does it they focus too much on unneeded wars and other military expenses especially in Asian/Middle Eastern countries, and that is where the oil has come into play as have other issues resulting in further spending.  But, let's not get too political.

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  Dark Rock Pro 4 | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

16 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Clarification?

*EDIT*

While I don't know what is written in there, that sure sounds like a sad constitution you got there.

Along with laws allowing absurd claims like the one mentioned in the topic, you guys really need to get ahold of someone that has the balls to change all the crap that needs fixing.

3 minutes ago, Rattenmann said:

While I don't know what is written in there, that sure sounds like a sad constitution you got there.

Along with laws allowing absurd claims like the one mentioned in the topic, you guys really need to get ahold of someone that has the balls to change all the crap that needs fixing.

I completely agree we have roads that need to be fixed, water issues, education issues, and more yet the government is focusing more on unneeded spending due to grudges/conflicts.  The irony is that most of the military spendings in the middle east, and other countries, has been biting the US in the ass for years now in several ways.  From debt to terrorism.  So, again I don't really see it as responsible spending. 

I disagree with taxes assessors and Apple.

The value of the place is worth what they paid for the land, labor, and materials. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

I wonder how much they actually spend on things like infrastructure, education, and more things they should be spending it on.

How much is spent is irrelevant if its spent poorly.

Idaho's local governments would much rather build islands in turn lanes, preventing people from turning left*, instead of fixing pot holes in major streets and expanding highway systems to accommodate increasing traffic. It wasn't until the winter of 2016 that a huge section of highway got any proper maintenance, and only because pot holes were becoming so large and unavoidable that any lawsuit against the cities of Nampa and Boise were guaranteed wins for us, the potential plaintiffs.

*Onto side streets and into businesses.

And with the exception of the US military, I consider most government spending to be as wasteful.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

How much is spent is irrelevant if its spent poorly.

Idaho's local governments would much rather build islands in turn lanes, preventing people from turning left*, instead of fixing pot holes in major streets and expanding highway systems to accommodate increasing traffic. It wasn't until the winter of 2016 that a huge section of highway got any proper maintenance, and only because pot holes were becoming so large and unavoidable that any lawsuit against the cities of Nampa and Boise were guaranteed wins for us, the potential plaintiffs.

*Onto side streets and into businesses.

And with the exception of the US military, I consider most government spending to be as wasteful.

That's my point though.  I was just using the military spendings dating back to the cold war, possibly earlier, as an example of poor spendings.  My exact point is rather than spending funds properly to fix things like potholes, schools, the Flint water issue, and other issues they rather waste money, and it's not benefitting the economy in any way.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I was just using the military spendings dating back to the cold war, possibly earlier, as an example of poor spendings.

I wouldn't consider military spending an example of poor spending. Not unless you're suggesting our nearly worthless allies to actually beef up their militaries.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I wouldn't consider military spending an example of poor spending. Not unless you're suggesting our nearly worthless allies to actually beef up their militaries.

No, I'm saying training someone back in the 1980s because the communists backed the other side was a waste because look how that turned out.  I'm also saying that another grudge war of overthrowing a leader and causing more issues, like his military taking over ISIS, that also contributed to the debt didn't really help us in any way.  You can argue bad planning and strategies, but again it hasn't helped us financially either.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Edit to make it less aggressive sounding:  I think all companies do that.

Not ALL companies do that though. There are plenty of companies that dont, and plenty more that dont do it to the degree that companies like apple, google, facebook, microsoft, amazon etc do.

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

While I agree that that is true, I would also say that that is a major problem with our current society.

Capitalism does not mean "make as much money as you can possibly get away with to the detriment of literally everything and everyone else". That perception and attitude is what needs to change as well as people effecting change within their government.

4 hours ago, Jito463 said:

That's true, capitalism simply means being able to benefit from the fruits of your own labor.  In other words, capitalism is the epitome of both personal ownership and individual responsibility.  Some only see it as a means to make profit, but it means far more than that.  The ability to make a profit is merely a side-effect of owning the fruits of your own labor.  Those who would abuse capitalism to rip off others, is only considering the ownership perspective while ignoring the essential responsibility inherent in a truly capitalist system.

Capitalism is literately the noun of the verb capitalise, which means to to take advantage of or to provide with capital.  It is basically profit driven economy that takes advantage where it can.  I personally would rather a capitalist society with regulation than a socialist society without drive (my personal opinion).  However capitalism can go too far (I.E apple decalring $200) which is exactly what this is, apple are capitalising on the government who is allowing them to start negotiations on value at such a low figure.    I don't blame capitalism though, I blame government and society for not keeping it in check.

40 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Not ALL companies do that though. There are plenty of companies that dont, and plenty more that dont do it to the degree that companies like apple, google, facebook, microsoft, amazon etc do.

Not every advantage offered is taken, no,  but that doesn't mean someone else shouldn't take advantage of it. The government allows it, if you don't like it ask your governments to stop allowing it.