Apple's claiming their headquarters is worth only $200

Jtalk4456
3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Their phones I would say are well designed and are priced high but so is the competition so it's pretty fair. Their computers on the other hand are not worth the price tag. 

I’n a few years It will be much better once they get their ARM processors in them. 

14 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I strongly suggest you give up this conversation.

I've had a similar one with mr moose before and he won't give up. No matter what you say, or what logic you put forth, he won't change his mind or admit that what Apple is doing might be considered wrong.

The accusation of mental gymnastics because others believe there is a difference between an outright lie and transparent haggling is solely his.  I don't care what people personally think of the situation, I did not accuse him or anyone of mental gymnastics in order to satisfy their opinion.   That is the difference here.

EDIT: also I did admit that people consider what apple are doing is wrong, what I was claiming is that public opinion does not equal facts and just becasue your opinion is "for" doesn't mean every opinion "against" is wrong.  It just means we disagree.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, YedZed said:

Related to Canadian Rubles or more valuable?

$148.23 USD. 

So worse than Canadian Rubles? Maybe we'll dub it the New Zealand Peso. 

So if I destroy the property, I don't have much to owe?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

On 8/16/2018 at 9:40 AM, AluminiumTech said:

I'll raise you 999 Trillion Zimbabwe dollars

I'll raise you the change between my couch cushions.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 16.08.2018 at 10:47 PM, mr moose said:

there is a difference between an outright lie and transparent haggling

I think people are outraged because yes, this is technically haggling but the kind of haggling that insults your intelligence. There is haggling and there is haggling, I get it that they are trying to maximize their gain by not paying a single cent over what they absolutely have to but in doing so they broke a threshold of common sense which in turn inspired aggression. 

No one likes their intelligence being insulted. When I used to work in sales and a customer wanted a 90% discount "because it's haggling" I immediately lost all the desire to deal with him in good faith. 

It adds to the fact that not long ago they were celebrating the news of being the first trillion dollar company. They have the money. Lots of it. 

Sure it might be legally acceptable to start haggling with a $200 price but doing so while being the most valuable company in the world is frankly disrespectful. 

You mentioned auctions as a comparison. Let's compare scales here because I cannot help but wonder whether auction houses start bidding on a Monet painting with a $5 price.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

8 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

You mentioned auctions as a comparison. Let's compare scales here because I cannot help but wonder whether auction houses start bidding on a Monet painting with a $5 price.

If you did it would not insult my intelligence, I would know you were taking the piss and move the bid to a more acceptable figure.  There is no need to be insulted by this, it's just business.  If the tax office let me haggle with them like this I would do it all the time,  I don't think they are insulted.

In fact the only time I have ever felt insulted by apple themselves is when I they dropped the 64G ipad model and claim that the 128G version is the same price as the 64G was.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

I think people are outraged because yes, this is technically haggling but the kind of haggling that insults your intelligence. There is haggling and there is haggling, I get it that they are trying to maximize their gain by not paying a single cent over what they absolutely have to but in doing so they broke a threshold of common sense which in turn inspired aggression. 

No one likes their intelligence being insulted. When I used to work in sales and a customer wanted a 90% discount "because it's haggling" I immediately lost all the desire to deal with him in good faith. 

It adds to the fact that not long ago they were celebrating the news of being the first trillion dollar company. They have the money. Lots of it. 

Sure it might be legally acceptable to start haggling with a $200 price but doing so while being the most valuable company in the world is frankly disrespectful. 

The thing is that I think it's fine to make a ridiculous valuation when it's initiated by an obnoxious valuation to begin with as far as I'm concerned.

If I'm selling something for $600 and someone offers me $300, then I'll either not respond or offer them a special price of $1200 depending on my mood. The former is obviously not an option when you're dealing with the government/taxes.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

19 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

The thing is that I think it's fine to make a ridiculous valuation when it's initiated by an obnoxious valuation to begin with as far as I'm concerned.

Is it really obnoxious to value the land and property at ~1 billion, when it cost them 5 billion to build?

3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Is it really obnoxious to value the land and property at ~1 billion, when it cost them 5 billion to build?

The cost to build something very often isn't representative of worth. So, it could still be. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

i'm really surprised this didn't get on wan show... Maybe it'll be there next week

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

12 hours ago, mr moose said:

In fact the only time I have ever felt insulted by apple themselves is when I they dropped the 64G ipad model and claim that the 128G version is the same price as the 64G was.

Well of course it was the same price. Apple said it was, so it is.

Just remember;

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

In my mind Apple is more or less a luxury brand for technology not just computers. With that said they are overpriced as a rule. They also control the suply of hardware, and software for their own hardware. I do agree that it was bull they claimed the price for the iPad 128GB was more or less the same when it clearly wasn't. Though if it is in your budget then it really dose not matter what the price per gig is in the end. 

1 minute ago, ArchieKun said:

Though if it is in your budget then it really dose not matter what the price per gig is in the end. 

It wasn't in my budget,  The ipad is for my son who has broken the screen.   Replacing it is only viable if they had a 64G version of the current base model, but that is limited to the pro range instead. Which means either downgrading to the 32G or having the screen repaired (which only saves a $100).

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It wasn't in my budget,  The ipad is for my son who has broken the screen.   Replacing it is only viable if they had a 64G version of the current base model, but that is limited to the pro range instead. Which means either downgrading to the 32G or having the screen repaired (which only saves a $100).

Well a peny saved is a penny earned in my opinion.

On 8/15/2018 at 11:21 AM, Jtalk4456 said:

From reading the part where they have close to 500 claims open in court, i'd say their intention is not to win, but to keep it in court and never pay the actual taxes. The amount they'll pay in legal fees is nothing compared to taxes on a billion dollar property

Easy solution there is "they have to pay said taxes, which the government will hold, until the case is decided".

Basically make it not worth their while to try bullshit like this. As much as I hate paying taxes, I hate companies dodging taxes in ways that I can't, more. Make them pay regardless, and at that point their just tying up money for no reason.

Or, just close those loopholes for massive, multi-national, multi-state corporations.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

not feeding the troll.

You seem to accuse anyone who can articulate a different viewpoint to yours as a troll.

Apples pricing, marketing and even their design is an affront to intelligence. They epitomize everything wrong with pandering to ignorant consumers.

People use Apple as an example of all kinds of things that theyre antithetical to, including being on the side of the customer. Theyre used as an example of capitalism despite being made in inhumane conditions in a communist country. That theyre "high end" despite being madeby slave labour.

39 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

You seem to accuse anyone who can articulate a different viewpoint to yours as a troll.

Apples pricing, marketing and even their design is an affront to intelligence. They epitomize everything wrong with pandering to ignorant consumers.

People use Apple as an example of all kinds of things that theyre antithetical to, including being on the side of the customer. Theyre used as an example of capitalism despite being made in inhumane conditions in a communist country. That theyre "high end" despite being madeby slave labour.

I 100% agree with all of this.

I'm especially pissed right now because my company is about to pick up a customer that uses Apple products. Considering we only do bulk repair work, I know that this will be 100% a headache.

Whereas certain other companies allow licensed repair facilities to keep parts in stock (to an extent, or in an unnecessarily convoluted way where we allegedly don't ever have parts in stock but actually do....because reasons), and even offer a "guaranteed" "2-day" (subject to random parts shortages that we aren't allowed to inform the customer about) turn around time for "device being received, diagnosed, parts ordered, repaired, and back in the customers hands', I know from the experience of coworkers, that Apple is more like two weeks, if they deign to honor a warranty at all and don't flatout demand ungodly amounts of details then refuse the warranty based on idiotic reasoning.

Dear god I am not looking forward to that headache.

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

No, I call anyone who repeatedly quotes me claiming I represent things I do not trying to encourage a fight is a troll.

Edit to make it less aggressive sounding:  I think all companies do that.

Don't know if you are aware but people use all companies as examples for all things.  It really just depends on whether you have a personal grudge and can't rationalist your emotions as to how much you do it.   I posted links to evidence that apple haven't got clean hands, but that is a different issue and doesn't legitimize or dismiss this particular situation. 

5 hours ago, 79wjd said:

The cost to build something very often isn't representative of worth.

Agreed, but valuing it as 20% of the build price isn't what I'd qualify as "obnoxious".  It's like spending $1 million to build a mansion, and then having it valuated at $200,000.  Or spending $100,00 to build a house, and having it valuated at $20,000.  $1 billion sounds like an obscene amount until you consider it in percentages.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

No, I call anyone who repeatedly quotes me claiming I represent things I do not trying to encourage a fight is a troll.

That's nice.

Don't know if you are aware but people use all companies as examples for all things.  It really just depends on whether you have a personal grudge and can't rationalist your emotions as to how much you do it.   I posted links to evidence that apple haven't got clean hands, but that is a different issue and doesn't legitimize or dismiss this particular situation. 

This claim by Apple is entirely and completely ridiculous, regardless of current tax law and any loopholes that may exist. This claim merely demonstrates the complete absurdity of those laws and loopholes.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

This claim by Apple is entirely and completely ridiculous, regardless of current tax law and any loopholes that may exist. This claim merely demonstrates the complete absurdity of those laws and loopholes.

Then blame the tax laws.  If the laws here said I could start negations on council land rates (we don't call them taxes), then I would be doing exactly the same thing, along with thousands of others.  Doesn't make it an affront to intelligence, unless you are insulted by people making the most of the laws they have to abide by. 

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Then blame the tax laws.  If the laws here said I could start negations on council land rates (we don't call them taxes), then I would be doing exactly the same thing, along with thousands of others.  Doesn't make it an affront to intelligence, unless you are insulted by people making the most of the laws they have to abide by. 

You make a fair point. It is unrealistic of us to expect one of the more morally egregious companies on the planet to act in a moral way, when the law does not require them to do as such.

This still functions as a fantastic example of how fucking retarded corporate tax laws are.