Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jtalk4456

Apple's claiming their headquarters is worth only $200

Just now, potoooooooo said:

They do. This is a standard negotiating tactic.

Unfounded claim with no evidence, seems about right for an apple damage control thread

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Their fuckup was picking a dollar figure so absurdly low that it would never stand or even be considered remotely reasonable in any court.

And surely there has to be a criminal penalty for providing false information on government forms?  Once again they picked a number so low that they're exposing themselves here too where they can't claim "we just used a different accounting method!"

I think a case can be throw out on such grounds. At least that is how civil cases are so I am unsure if the same can be done with this type of case. 

1 hour ago, Swatson said:

Oh yea I'm sure Google lists their property values in the hundreds of dollars

That's why I don't give a solid yes, but leave it as "other companies" because I'm not sure if Google is one of the said companies who pull crap like this.  Well, to be fair, Google is one of the companies caught tax evading in Ireland, but I don't think they listed their property value at 200.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  Dark Rock Pro 4 | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |

Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

29 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Unfounded claim with no evidence, seems about right for an apple damage control thread

Ahem.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Want-a-lower-tax-bill-So-do-Apple-and-Genentech-13148121.php?utm_campaign=thirdparty&utm_source=article&utm_medium=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfgate.com%2Ftechnology%2Fbusinessinsider%2Farticle%2FApple-is-reportedly-arguing-that-buildings-at-its-13154475.php

"In the Bay Area, Genentech and Apple are particularly aggressive in opposing tax assessors..."

"Genentech, the biotech giant best known for making blockbuster cancer drugs, has been embroiled in an 18-year battle with San Mateo County over the value of hundreds of pieces of equipment and machinery and dozens of parcels of land in its sprawling South San Francisco headquarters. "

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

3 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Business taxes != Property taxes.  They were dodging business taxes in Europe.  I'm not saying that wasn't shady either, it was.  But protesting property taxes in the US is normal. 

They didn't even dodge taxes in the EU though, the Irish Government made a deal with apple to get their headquarters in their country.  The EU didn't like it.  According to EU law a an EU country isn't allowed to wave corporate taxes in favor of more business.  

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

2 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Ahem.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Want-a-lower-tax-bill-So-do-Apple-and-Genentech-13148121.php?utm_campaign=thirdparty&utm_source=article&utm_medium=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfgate.com%2Ftechnology%2Fbusinessinsider%2Farticle%2FApple-is-reportedly-arguing-that-buildings-at-its-13154475.php

"In the Bay Area, Genentech and Apple are particularly aggressive in opposing tax assessors..."

"Genentech, the biotech giant best known for making blockbuster cancer drugs, has been embroiled in an 18-year battle with San Mateo County over the value of hundreds of pieces of equipment and machinery and dozens of parcels of land in its sprawling South San Francisco headquarters. "

You see guys. This other company is doing the same horrible things as apple. That makes it less bad right? Oh wait that's not how that works. One does not excuse the other. I do understand fight the evaluation of a property if you think it's too high but 200 dollars is just stupid. Either come up with a reasonable number or get out. 

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You see guys. This other company is doing the same horrible things as apple. That makes it less bad right? Oh wait that's not how that works. One does not excuse the other. I do understand fight the evaluation of a property if you think it's too high but 200 dollars is just stupid. Either come up with a reasonable number or get out. 

I agree the number is stupid but fighting property taxes isnt, and considering all the other business taxes and astronomical land values companies in California have to deal with, this is the result. 

While Apple is obviously profitable and could likely absorb the full tax hit without blinking, smaller companies with tighter margins sometimes need this tactic in order to keep the lights on especially in tax heavy states like California.  And sometimes the assessors get it wrong.  The counties like money too, and they can be known to artificially push values up for increased revenue, although that depends on the temperment of that particular jursdiction.

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

15 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Ahem.

So not Google, also don't see any valuation as crazy as $200

2 minutes ago, Swatson said:

So not Google, also don't see any valuation as crazy as $200

Did you even read the article?

"

In Santa Clara County, more than half of the $76 billion in disputed assessments stems from property belonging to 10 large tech companies, including Apple, Google, Applied Materials and Sun Microsystems.

"Applied Materials, for instance, has 94 appeals totaling $6.1 billion in disputed value. Google has 132 appeals covering $2.7 billion in disputed value."

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

Just now, peanuts104 said:

Did you even read the article?

"

In Santa Clara County, more than half of the $76 billion in disputed assessments stems from property belonging to 10 large tech companies, including Apple, Google, Applied Materials and Sun Microsystems.

"Applied Materials, for instance, has 94 appeals totaling $6.1 billion in disputed value. Google has 132 appeals covering $2.7 billion in disputed value."

Right but the claim was that Google is using this tactic, namely MASSIVELY and purposefully undervaluing property. Disputing assessments is not the same thing

5 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Right but the claim was that Google is using this tactic, namely MASSIVELY and purposefully undervaluing property. Disputing assessments is not the same thing

Apple isn't determining the assessment though.  They submitted an opinion as an obvious negotiation tactic.  Apple is disputing $8.5 billion in total and Google is disputing $2.7 billion in total.  However, Google has 1/4 the amount of apppeals as Apple, 489 versus 132.  When you break it out, apple averages aprox $17 mil per appeal versus Google's higher $20 mil per appeal.  Google is doing the same damn thing.

Edited by peanuts104
Got my millions and millions mixed, fixed the numbers

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

2 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Apple isn't determining the assessment though.  They submitted an opinion as an obvious negotiation tactic.  Apple is disputing $8.5 million in total and Google is disputing $2.7 billion in total.  However, Google has 1/4 the amount of apppeals as Apple, 489 versus 132.  When you break it out, apple averages aprox $17k per appeal versus Google's higher $20k per appeal.  Google is doing the same damn thing.

Google is not submitting valuations of $200 on multimillion dollar properties, they aren't the same thing. It's completely fine to dispute property taxes, it's not fine to say your HQ (or former HQ) is worth $200.

14 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Google is not submitting valuations of $200 on multimillion dollar properties, they aren't the same thing. It's completely fine to dispute property taxes, it's not fine to say your HQ (or former HQ) is worth $200.

The only way you're going to have an average disputed value of $20 million per property is if you are doing exactly that, because I'm sure if you look at the average assessment for all 132 of those properties, it would be about $20 million. And no I'm not going to look through all 132 properties.  That seems like it would be a somewhat reasonable average number for an office building assessment in California.    And it's not just Apple or Google, it's all the tech companies most of the tech companies, though apparently Facebook has 0 appeals according to the article.  It is nonetheless a widely used practice.  

My Rig:

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

2 hours ago, Swatson said:

That's literally exactly what apple is doing. The property was given a value, they disputed the value, claiming it was actually 200 dollars.

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

That's literally exactly what apple is doing. The property was given a value, they disputed the value, claiming it was actually 200 dollars.

Stop being obtuse. I obviously meant the process of normally disputing a property value. Intentionally lying (YES LYING) about property value is not the same as just disputing it. And dont try to say they aren't lying. No one, LITERALLY NO ONE would actually value that property at $200

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

The only way you're going to have an average disputed value of $20 million per property is if you are doing exactly that, because I'm sure if you look at the average assessment for all 132 of those properties, it would be about $20 million. And no I'm not going to look through all 132 properties.  That seems like it would be a somewhat reasonable average number for an office building assessment in California.    And it's not just Apple or Google, it's all the tech companies most of the tech companies, though apparently Facebook has 0 appeals according to the article.  It is nonetheless a widely used practice.  

Or maybe they think the property is just worth 20 million less on average? You realize most of these large high tech buildings plus land value are in the hundreds of millions in value right?

I should point out that averages are also a terrible way to look at this. If they think the googleplex which is almost certainly worth BILLIONS, was valued like 100 million too high, that's 5 buildings worth of 20 million "average" valuation difference

21 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Stop being obtuse. I obviously meant the process of normally disputing a property value. Intentionally lying (YES LYING) about property value is not the same as just disputing it. And dont try to say they aren't lying. No one, LITERALLY NO ONE would actually value that property at $200

I don't know, there are some people that wouldn't take it. Even if they were paid.

just poking a bit lol.

35 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Literally the entire point is to lowball so that the government forced to respond with a better value. If they don't respond, then the tax value becomes 200 dollars. That's the point.

12 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Literally the entire point is to lowball so that the government forced to respond with a better value. If they don't respond, then the tax value becomes 200 dollars. That's the point.

No the point of disputing property taxes is not "blatantly lie so you can pay tax on a value of $200 because your paperwork got lost in the bureaucracy." The mental gymnastics on show in this thread is astounding, I'm out!

13 hours ago, YedZed said:

You can't even buy a decent iPhone with $200 xD 

I sold my iPhone 6 64GB with a replacement battery for $225 NZD. 

In hindsight, I could have gotten more...

PC Part Picker Link || CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 5Ghz; MB: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400; GFX: Asus Strix 1080ti; CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass; STORAGE: 500GB Samsung 960 Pro, 250GB 850 Evo, 500GB 850 Evo, 3TB WD Red; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; MONITOR: Acer Predator X34; PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Chroma; Razer Deathadder Chroma, Audeze Mobius

Devices || Macbook Pro 15" (2016); iPad Pro 9.7"; iPhone Xr

Audio Gear || Headphones: Audeze iSine20; Audeze LCD-X; Audeze LCD-3; Mr Speakers Ether 2; Focal Clear; B&O H5; Sony MDR-1000x; AMP/DAC: Chord Qutest; Pathos Aurium; Bryston BHA-1; Matrix Audio Element X; Benchmark AHB2; Speakers: AudioEngine A5+; Focal Aria 936

4 hours ago, Swatson said:

No the point of disputing property taxes is not "blatantly lie so you can pay tax on a value of $200 because your paperwork got lost in the bureaucracy." The mental gymnastics on show in this thread is astounding, I'm out!

????  not sure you understand how bureaucracy works.      It's not lying, it's haggling.  Not sure why you think there is any mental gymnastics going on it's pretty straight forward. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

????  not sure you understand how bureaucracy works.      It's not lying, it's haggling.  Not sure why you think there is any mental gymnastics going on it's pretty straight forward. 

not sure you understand the definition of lying