Google records your location even when you tell it not to

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

The only Google Services I use with an account are YouTube. Most everything I do is through Apple services. 

If it is done via gmail servers, that still doesn't stop them from reading it and pushing ads about your emails... Tho truth be told I wouldn't be surprised if all email clients read emails to some degree... Less personal domain name and client emails (like squirrelmail) that you have full control over.

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Uhh, stairs have killed people. Is that a reason to stop using stairs? 

stairs are unnatural too you know :P

4 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

If it is done via gmail servers

Apple services do not through Google. They go through Amazon. Apple hates Google and would never let their users data route through them. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple services do not through Google. They go through Amazon. Apple hates Google and would never let their users data route through them. 

Ah yes, the company of if you look at condoms long enough they think you did a oops and start pushing baby stuff xD Not sure if they read your outgoing emails, but like I said it wouldn't surprise me...

Edit: also if the email goes to a gmail account and your apple account is associated with your youtube account google can put 1+1 you know ;)

Just now, Egg-Roll said:

Not sure if they read your outgoing emails, but like I said it wouldn't surprise me...

They don’t. There is no evidence that they do. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

They don’t. There is no evidence that they do. 

Because there was no evidence doesn't mean they do it, their ToS likely permits them to do it too. Plus my edit might apply as well (not sure if you saw it). When I noticed google doing it no one had posted a article about it yet anywhere online for about another week or so, around that time I told a friend about it too who were shocked to notice it... 

6 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Because there was no evidence doesn't mean they do it, their ToS likely permits them to do it too. Plus my edit might apply as well (not sure if you saw it). When I noticed google doing it no one had posted a article about it yet anywhere online for about another week or so, around that time I told a friend about it too who were shocked to notice it... 

Apple is the only one who can access your iCloud emails and disclose them to anyone. 

You acknowledge and agree that Apple may, without liability to you, access, use, preserve and/or disclose your Account information and Content to law enforcement authorities, government officials, and/or a third party, as Apple believes is reasonably necessary or appropriate, if legally required to do so or if we have a good faith belief that such access, use, disclosure, or preservation is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process or request; (b) enforce this Agreement, including investigation of any potential violation thereof; (c) detect, prevent or otherwise address security, fraud or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property or safety of Apple, its users, a third party, or the public as required or permitted by law.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple is the only one who can access your iCloud emails and disclose them to anyone. 

Correct, but right in the agreement states they can share the information with third parties. Plus if sent to gmail (or domain email using gmail/google services), gmail can still read your email (out of Apples control) and could even associate it with your youtube account if done with the same email.

The issue with that agreement is it can go so many ways in Apples favour... They could claim letting Padawan Amazon to sniff threw your emails is legally allowed under that agreement by stating the if part is in fact a separate entity. Not saying this is the case, but yet again wouldn't surprise me... Never trust a company with a infuriating word use as such as that to be 100% trustworthy... Plus if the do twist their own words you can't go after them, thanks to the first line.

Apple is a 75/25 company, they are primarily a tech company but they equally have a data side to it, so their data side of things are to collect data, they say they care about your privacy but all your dirty secrets are no safer with them then they are with google, less the ad part (which you can disable I think now)

10 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

say they care about your privacy but all your dirty secrets are no safer with them then they are with google, less the ad part (which you can disable I think now)

Sure, whatever you say. 

Didn't we already know this?  I thought there was a story about this months ago.  Needless to say, this is wrong for so many reasons...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 8/15/2018 at 1:25 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Wait didn't they admit to doing this like last year? 

They admitted to a particular form of location tracking that was allegedly no longer taking place by the time they admitted it (IIRC).

So people are bitching about being tracked from a company

But are ok with governments doing it?

I think a lot of this uproar stems from people not differentiating between different settings/features, and what they assume something does based on the name rather than description.

Turning off location history is not the same as turning off the location service.

Location history = The map in your Google account which shows you were you have been. You can turn this off if you want, but it is not, and isn't suppose to be, a centralized hub for disabling all location services.

The location setting in Android on the other hand, is the "kill-switch" for location tracking. And if you disable that, it does disable tracking (from what we know).

Since it seems like people are getting confused maybe Google should be more clear about what the different settings does. But I honestly don't know how Google could be more clear than they already are.

Anyway, as it stands right now I think it is a pretty big stretch to say they are lying. I mean, this is what appears when you click on the "pause location history" button (emphasis mine). It's a fullscreen page and from what I know it's been like this for quite a long time, not something Google added as a response.

tmtym.png.cf4fd0007fff763e9c6c8952e9cbf131.png

It's kind of like being mad that deleting web history in Microsoft Edge doesn't delete your Internet Explorer web history.

6 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

After that turn off your internet, because you have a good chance of bumping into a google analytics site (like this one), google analytics tells google and LMG your country possibly city and maybe even street (tho google will likely not share this), along with a number of juicy bits of info as to how long you have been here where you went and even where you came from if possible.

Google Analytics is easy enough to deal with. uMatrix can block that just fine, along with the rest of the filth on this site (Amazon, PIA, Live, Doubleclick etc).

I don't know what I hate more about android, all the data shit or the fact I can't workout how to navigate the horrid settings.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.