Google records your location even when you tell it not to

Say what you will about Apple, but at least with them, you at least know that when you turn off location tracking, it’s off. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

*facepalm*

Is the complaint here really that turning off one specific Google feature doesn't specifically turn off all location tracking?

"Location history" is not, has never been, and never will be a toggle for all location data. It is a specific feature who's  purpose is to remember and show you where you have been. Turning that feature off turns off *that feature*.

If you want to disable location entirely there's a setting for that... It's called "Location" in Settings > Google > Location... Disables both coarse and fine location data and on Android 8 and 9 blocks all apps even if they have the location permission (yes, even system apps).

FFS people. :/

If they label a switch "this disables location storage" then we have every right to complain if this is not what it does.

10 hours ago, HungoverRabbit said:

Google says that will prevent the company from remembering where you've been

As per below GDPR requires that a company remove the data will not be needed anymore. If this "feature" is disabled then the data is no longer needed and why one may point out is Google still storing the data against the will of the user.

9 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

We are talking about recording  location data not using location. The GDPR and even some other older regulations even state that you have to only store data for as long as you need it. Does google need your location to find Pizza hut for the time you have your navigation on? Yes. Do they need it afterwards if the user stated explicitly not to? NO, and doing so is in violation of GDPR.

The disabling of the feature may be all well and good but what if a user wants to check the weather without having enable and disable the feature constantly?

Maps when updated requests that the user enable "location services", what an average user may just assume to be GPS. It does enable GPS but also Location History (tested repeatedly) even though this was not in the description of the prompt. Apparently a fluke occured

6 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

If they label a switch "this disables location storage" then we have every right to complain if this is not what it does.

As per below GDPR requires that a company remove the data will not be needed anymore. If this "feature" is disabled then the data is no longer needed and why one may point out is Google still storing the data against the will of the user.

The disabling of the feature may be all well and good but what if a user wants to check the weather without having enable and disable the feature constantly?

Maps when updated requests that the user enable "location services", what an average user may just assume to be GPS. It does enable GPS but also Location History (tested repeatedly) even though this was not in the description of the prompt.

Let's be honest here, it's not clear enough. Have the feature disabled and if the user realises he needs it he will turn it on, there is no need to play semantics here. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

They don't... The switch is labelled Location History. Two capitals as in a title name. And it specifically says that it's a switch for building a private map of the locations you've been for you to see and for Google to use for contextual alerts and that the feature will no longer record your location if disabled.

They also have a switch on your phone that's labelled Location. That one has a help page that specifically states it will disable location data from the OS but sneaky apps could still potentially figure out your location in other ways.

You can delete literally any of the data you want from your Location History timeline >.>

*Facepalm* really? So you want Google to not check your location... But still want to check location based weather data...what?

Maps when updated requests that the user enable "location services", what an average user may just assume to be GPS. It does enable GPS but also Location History (tested repeatedly) even though this was not in the description of the prompt.

Bullshit.

Screenshot_20180815-142619.thumb.png.7b5a0523edd4c0f8cbdb2a7960db66a7.pngScreenshot_20180815-142625.thumb.png.7b6cc167b6a674a516b5beafb3325f03.pngScreenshot_20180815-142639.thumb.png.936b750ed78984f63e800629ac180515.png

Screenshot_20180815-142710.thumb.png.9d2508f3ed92992cd34aad14bae86092.pngScreenshot_20180815-142702.thumb.png.1b461658c10cbf4073df262dee179741.png

Location services turns back when I enable it from maps but Location History for my device stays disabled. Hell Google even explicitly informs you that it doesn't delete any of your data if you pause location History in case you want to later resume the service, but that you can manage or delete it from your account...

Screenshot_20180815-142916.thumb.png.922572f08dd3fd4002961bdc78c2762d.png

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

And it specifically says that it's a switch for building a private map of the locations you've been for you to see and for Google to use for contextual alerts and that the feature will no longer record your location if disabled.

The article is about the issue that they are recording your location when the feature is off.

Google says that will prevent the company from remembering where you've been. Google's support page on the subject states: “You can turn off Location History at any time. With Location History off, the places you go are no longer stored.” 

That isn't true. Even with “location history” paused, some Google apps automatically store time-stamped location data without asking.

They don't... The switch is labelled Location History. Two capitals as in a title name. And it specifically says that it's a switch for building a private map of the locations you've been for you to see and for Google to use for contextual alerts and that the feature will no longer record your location if disabled.

They also have a switch on your phone that's labelled Location. That one has a help page that specifically states it will disable location data from the OS but sneaky apps could still potentially figure out your location in other ways.

Just about everything is written in capitals these days, I don't even need to switch tabs for an example:

image.png.9fd73a36f1bcfe791fa1ad0cd1ce1b9c.png

If you were given two switches you could disable "Browser" and "Browser History" which would you disable to prevent your Browser from recording your history? Disabling location entirely would not be an option as many people would want to use location services without having Google store each event.

You can delete literally any of the data you want from your Location History timeline >.>

That is not the point. I have disabled the feature, the data is not needed anymore hence it should be deleted within a reasonable timeframe however Google does not do this. It may well be (or not) that this is why the states are "on" and "paused", not "off". If a service is paused then the data can be described as in use.

*Facepalm* really? So you want Google to not check your location... But still want to check location based weather data...what?

This location recording will happen as long as location is enabled yet why should Google record my location if I am not using their weather or other location using service? It is quite possible to get location based weather information without telling Google where you are.

Bullshit.

Location services turns back when I enable it from maps but Location History for my device stays disabled. Hell Google even explicitly informs you that it doesn't delete any of your data if you pause location History in case you want to later resume the service, but that you can manage or delete it from your account...

I stand corrected. I cannot explain what happened on my phone (can no longer reproduce the event).

Why are people saying this isn’t a shock or are ok with this? It’s not so much a privacy issue, it’s that when you turn off the location toggle, it still tracks your location, so even if you don’t want to be tracked, you will be tracked.

39 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Why are people saying this isn’t a shock or are ok with this? It’s not so much a privacy issue, it’s that when you turn off the location toggle, it still tracks your location, so even if you don’t want to be tracked, you will be tracked.

They say it isn't a shock because this is Google and they are right, any of thr large companies except Apple would do things like this.

For those who are ok with this, they needed not worry as their data probably is already out.

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Let's be honest here, it's not clear enough. Have the feature disabled and if the user realises he needs it he will turn it on, there is no need to play semantics here. 

Opt-In would work against Google's business model and they wouldn't be where they are now with poor decision making skills and Average Joe will complain that a feature doesn't "just work" more often than "they are harvesting my data"

43 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Opt-In would work against Google's business model and they wouldn't be where they are now with poor decision making skills and Average Joe will complain that a feature doesn't "just work" more often than "they are harvesting my data"

To be fair opt out also goes against their business model. Because without your data, you're not something they can sell and if they cannot sell you, they cannot make money. This is the main problem with companies like google, if you're using a free "service" of which android technically is because you pay for the phone, not the OS, then you are the product. Same with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, you pay nothing but your privacy to use it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Except this isn't even about tracking you when you turn off the location toggle.

This is about specific apps still sending location when the location history feature is off.

5 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

The article is about the issue that they are recording your location when the feature is off.

Yes. When you turn off Location History the Places you go are no longer stored. Location History no longer uploads them or stores them to improve Google's services or put them on your map.

What the heck does that have to do with Google Maps or Google Search handling location? They have absolutely nothing to do with that feature :/

Just about everything is written in capitals these days, I don't even need to switch tabs for an example:

image.png.9fd73a36f1bcfe791fa1ad0cd1ce1b9c.png

That's not headline style capitalization. That's block style capitalization. And just because people use it wrong doesn't mean you should neglect when someone uses it right like "LTT Official Discord" is a clickable headline so it uses headline capitalization.

If you were given two switches you could disable "Browser" and "Browser History" which would you disable to prevent your Browser from recording your history?

I would disable the thing in the history tab that explicitly says it'll turn off my history, whichever that is.

BTW Browser History is also a feature. It's a feature that stores the sites you've been to in one place. Disabling that doesn't disable back and forward history which also keep a record of where you've been or session state for you to restore from which is also a history >.>

Disabling location entirely would not be an option as many people would want to use location services without having Google store each event.

How do you expect to use maps without maps location services without sending your location to Google? The app kinda needs to get your location and a timestamp so that it can show your location.

How do you expect to get weather data while offline if it doesn't update in the background?

If you don't want specific apps to see where you've been that's why the location permission exists. Don't grant maps the location permission if you still want weather but not location. Don't grant Google Search the location permission if you don't want it to do it's job. You can revoke these permissions at any time even if you do grant them.

That is not the point. I have disabled the feature, the data is not needed anymore hence it should be deleted within a reasonable timeframe however Google does not do this. It may well be (or not) that this is why the states are "on" and "paused", not "off". If a service is paused then the data can be described as in use.

If turning the feature off deleted the data that would be a massive pain in the ass for users who frequently turn the feature off to pause Location Sharing.

There's no need for an off toggle. Pause it. Delete your data.

This location recording will happen as long as location is enabled yet why should Google record my location if I am not using their weather or other location using service? It is quite possible to get location based weather information without telling Google where you are.

Umm no it's not. How do you expect them to serve you weather data for where you are, if you don't tell them where you are? The weather is not the same globally, it's specific to where you are. They can't tell you the weather where you are if they don't know where you are...

None of this stuff works by magic. Some of these "GDPR" complaints floor me. Some people don't seem willing to spend the 10 minutes to learn how these services work yet expect everything to favor them. Can you imagine if people were that way about cars or heavy equipment? I get that most people don't value software and service compared to hardware, but it seems like people don't expect to do any critical thinking these days.

13 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

*facepalm*

Is the complaint here really that turning off one specific Google feature doesn't specifically turn off all location tracking?

"Location history" is not, has never been, and never will be a toggle for all location data. It is a specific feature who's  purpose is to remember and show you where you have been. Turning that feature off turns off *that feature*.

If you want to disable location entirely there's a setting for that... It's called "Location" in Settings > Google > Location... Disables both coarse and fine location data and on Android 8 and 9 blocks all apps even if they have the location permission (yes, even system apps).

FFS people. :/

Screenshot_20180815-094321.thumb.png.49a7bd9a9ec11981f3e6064772ba8f61.pngScreenshot_20180815-094309.thumb.png.e4f6b9e2bcb3f50999134406627390fa.png

Or just turn off Location Services? 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Well, when you get drunk af like I do, all this tracking stuff is generally a blessing. Helps me recover my lost data free of charge.

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Right, they just abandon you in the desert and leave you to die.

Can’t leave you in the desert if you don’t do into a desert 

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I don´t even care. data protection crazies LOL

I gave up trying to care, I'm sure skynet will take care of the rest.

2 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I don´t even care. data protection crazies LOL

it's not even about data protection, we all know that pretty much doesn't exist. It's about the lies, if you have an option that you can opt in not to get the location stored and then it is useless, that seems wrong, and makes you wonder what else are they lying about.

13 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Apple maps is not great. At all. I do use it for CarPlay but that’s pretty much it lol. I remember when it first came out, directions all over the place unless you live in Cupertino.

I use an iPhone. Google knows when I go to the petstore.

Every time I go to the pet store, when I get home and check on my android device, there's always a Google Rewards app survey asking me if I was just at a list of random stores and the store I did visit. Actually I usually get 2 surveys about that visit, another one usually a day later to confirm, they even specify in the survey what day I went, and then ask if I spent any money. They seem to pay out higher rewards when I've spent money, but I think they're validating data and crosschecking the truth via whatever shared data sources they're pulling your location from, cuz I've lied about spending money and been paid less in Rewards. 

It does not matter if they give you the option on your Android device or your app to turn off tracking. They are tracking everyone regardless of what app you're using or what device you carry with you. You are only off their radar if you leave all your devices at home. And even then, if you used a credit card or some electronic method of payment, you probably end up in Google's location database.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

On 15.8.2018 at 8:37 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Say what you will about Apple, but at least with them, you at least know that when you turn off location tracking, it’s off. 

Nah, it works the same on Android.

People just confuse a single location FEATURE with the location setting.

Not all idiots are using iPhones, some use Android as well. ;-)

As someone stated above, it clearly lists the functionality in the setting itself.

Reading is hard tho and complaining about it on forums is easier than admitting a lack of reading comprehension. 

Well, I guess complaints are all over the web the today. I just hope that it will not endanger my personal access and information because attackers and hackers are all over the internet. So, Google must solve this issues before it becomes severe.

On 8/15/2018 at 2:37 PM, DrMacintosh said:

What delusional dream do you live in? as long as you have the phone on something or someone is tracking you, the second you load a google page and have your google account associated with that app or possibly phone, guess what? You've been tracked, maybe not perfectly but they know where you are within a certain degree, even more if you use WiFi...

1 hour ago, Maria Phene said:

So, Google must solve this issues before it becomes severe.

What issue? If you don't want to be followed by google delete all accounts and remove yourself from all google products. After that turn off your internet, because you have a good chance of bumping into a google analytics site (like this one), google analytics tells google and LMG your country possibly city and maybe even street (tho google will likely not share this), along with a number of juicy bits of info as to how long you have been here where you went and even where you came from if possible.

Those who oppose their master can do the last part of this post, till google sets up face recognition via security cameras xD (much like the Chinese gov has)

Seriously people have to stop whining about this... Google has been doing this for years, people have known about it for years. Unless someone finds a security flaw or manages to steal one of googles server farms your data is as safe as it can be online...

If you wish to try to gain access to a building, good luck. You're better off trying to attack your local military base, unless you want to be eaten by hungry Alligators, not saying they might not have guns too...

3 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

What delusional dream do you live in? as long as you have the phone on something or someone is tracking you

Sorry, but no. One simple software switch in iOS denies all tracking that isn’t based off of triangulation/IP tracing to anyone that isn’t the authorities. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sorry, but no. One simple software switch in iOS denies all tracking that isn’t based off of triangulation/IP tracing to anyone that isn’t the authorities. 

That's still tracking... So long your are logged in that someone will know where you have been. Like I said esp if it was done via wifi, 3rd party sites don't have the tracking ability like Google does, so if you log on to a McDonalds Wifi Google will know where you are the second you access a website using their services.

Both my phones and homes IP shows up as Toronto Canada (3rd party sites) likely due to the main server location, but that is all is needed for google or someone else to push say a McDonalds ad at noon to entice you to go to a local franchise to buy a Big Mac ;) Esp after reading this post xD (Google reads your emails, a few years back so much so if you put something like "I want to get laid" you would actually get dating sites when they existed on the right side of gmail)

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

Google reads your emails

The only Google Services I use with an account are YouTube. Most everything I do is through Apple services. 

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Which have killed people.

Uhh, stairs have killed people. Is that a reason to stop using stairs?