Character gender choice in gaming

porina

Character gender choices  

29 members have voted

1. 1. When given the choice, which of the following best fits you and your character creation choices?

• Female IRL, choose female characters
    • Female IRL, choose male characters
    • Female IRL, don't have any particular preference
    • Male IRL, choose female characters
    • Male IRL, choose male characters
    • Male IRL, don't have any particular preference
    • It's more complicated than this...

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on Aug 31, 2018 at 07:24 AM

The above I think summaries how I feel, but I was wondering how other people choose.

So the question is, when you are given a choice, do you tend to pick a particular gender? In some games, the character is fixed, so those should be excluded from consideration.

I think I would have liked to break down further into LGBT with the poll options but the list would get rather long. I'm not doing formal research so will have to accept limitations from that.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I play more recklessly when playing with character of the opposite sex. If I want to win, I need to play with character of the same sex as I am IRL.

Games I play rarely let me make the choice though. Hitman, male (if you think Agent 47 is feminine, you need a doctor). Assassin's Creed games, depends on the plot but you dont get to decide. Ghost Recon Wildlands, male. Grand Theft Auto, male. Sniper Elite, male. Final Fantasy 15, male. Portal, female. Tomb Raider, female. Those that let you choose character genders are quite few.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Most of the times male, because developers are lazy and almost never have a seperate gait/mocap moveset/meshes (that don't clip) for female characters. So they just move like men. Exceptions are: Saints Row 3/4, Mass Effect 1 (they fucked it up in 2 and 3). Nor does it make sense for most games I play, because women would suck in those scenarios IRL. Unless it's sci-fi and they have power armor 'n shit. 

I have no issues with a female protagonist though, but it can put me off if they overplay it and come off as tryhards.

On the subject of LGBT:
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor pastor steven anderson

Have a nice day.

30 minutes ago, porina said:

If you can play as cute anime girl keep game

If you can't play as cute anime girl, return game

Simple.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I usually choose to play as a female just to change it up since most games out you can only play as a male.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Need a "Plays whatever TF I feel like playing" option. People put way too much thought into gender tbh

15 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Games I play rarely let me make the choice though.

That's in part why I had to explicitly exclude those from the question. Thinking more, that may affect certain genres more than others. My main timesink is FFXIV, so MMOs in general, you will have that choice. I recall GTAV allowed you to create a character, although on that occasion I was unable to find anything I'd consider cute. Pokemon Go? The young son (<10) of a relative was rather confused to see my character was female. 

Just now, Streetguru said:

If you can play as cute anime girl keep game

If you can't play as cute anime girl, return game

Simple.

Unfortunately I can't play many games that feature cute anime girls. Like Touhou, love the fanart around it, but the game itself is not something I can cope with.

Maybe I should expand it further. When characters are fixed, does that impact your choice of game? For example, FFXV I think is the end of the road for me on the offline FF main series. I bought the game but didn't get into it. I didn't connect with the bromance (or Cindy), and the combat style didn't help either. I did watch gameplays on youtube and enjoyed the overall story, but it didn't make me want to play it myself. On the other side, I'm curious about Blue Reflection, but I'll wait until that goes on sale I think... I also wonder if I should start in the Atelier series.

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Need a "Plays whatever TF I feel like playing" option. People put way too much thought into gender tbh

There are "don't have particular preference" options.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

when playing a 3rd person rpg I don't want to being looking at a dudes butt the whole time so always choose a lady

Idc what gender I am in game as it doesn’t make much of a difference. 

Usually guy is default so I play that. Sometimes I decide to play a girl to make that play through different. Even though it’s basically the same anyway. 

2 hours ago, porina said:

Maybe I should expand it further. When characters are fixed, does that impact your choice of game? For example, FFXV I think is the end of the road for me on the offline FF main series. I bought the game but didn't get into it. I didn't connect with the bromance (or Cindy), and the combat style didn't help either

It's funny because it was the other way around me. I enjoyed the gameplay immensely esp. with the fighting but the story felt a bit rushed, not to mention the forced 

Lunafreya's death

when you haven't even had the chance to start to be emotionally invested in her fate. It gets better later in the story and I think I will give it another go but only after the rest of the DLC are there (episode Lunafreya and Arachnea should complement it enough I think).

As for the OP: I do feel like I'm unconsciously leaning towards playing a female character but I will choose a male if it offers something unique and different. I have played both FemShep and MaleShep in Mass Effect and had fun.

When the game does not give you the choice it's fine as well. I have played Witcher 3 and had a blast and I have just finished a 100% marathon of both Tomb Raider reboot games and they were fantastic. In other words, the fact that a game is genderlocked in no way will determine whether I will play it or not.

So yeah, given the choice I will probably play a female on my first playthrough (like I will do in the new Cyberpunk game) but it doesn't necessarily mean I will not explore other options. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I've always played as a female character, a lot of games use to have females as the more agile characters so I found that fitted my play style better, I think now it's escapism, I rarely will pick a male character in game because the last thing I want to do is play myself. It's what bothers me with the usual comment that "men get to be themselves in games". Plus playing a bad ass female character is better than a male badass character. 

Straight, male, female characters

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Well that depends. On whether or not the game has a nude mod.