Is LinusMediaGroup okay?

ryao

They’re all dead! The horror...

4 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

i was in vancouver/Victoria last week. there was some haze but thats about it.

no fires in the city or anyware close

I was told by a ZoL project member that is currently in BC that the fires started within the past 24 hours.

4 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

We would have heard something on their social media if they were having problems.

I'd hope that they would evacuate before taking time to post on social media if the fire is threatening them.

If the fire is threatening them, I hope that they have insurance since I doubt that they can move the building. :/

Just now, ryao said:

I'd hope that they would evacuate before taking time to post on social media if the fire is threatening them.

If the fire is threatening them, I hope that they have insurance since I doubt that they can move the building. :/

They definitely would have evacuated if there was a fire, but you said they started 24 hours ago, yes?

So it's been a while since the fire started originally, account for time spent spreading to reach LMG, still plenty of time for them to evacuate and let their viewers know what's going on.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

They definitely would have evacuated if there was a fire, but you said they started 24 hours ago, yes?

So it's been a while since the fire started originally, account for time spent spreading to reach LMG, still plenty of time for them to evacuate and let their viewers know what's going on.

Someone I know is within a few hours of their location and he told me that the sky is black and it is hard to breathe. As for when it started, I was told that it was within the past 24 hours. I don't know the exact time. I was told:

"Highway 99: Open to local traffic only from Highway 99 at Highway 12 to the Hat Creek junction. Closed in both directions from the Hat Creek junction to Highway 97."

I am not familiar with the area though. Also, another person I know is in BC. I have been unable to reach him. :/

1 minute ago, ryao said:

Someone I know is within a few hours of their location and he told me that the sky is black and it is hard to breathe. As for when it started, I was told that it was within the past 24 hours. I don't know the exact time. I was told:

"Highway 99: Open to local traffic only from Highway 99 at Highway 12 to the Hat Creek junction. Closed in both directions from the Hat Creek junction to Highway 97."

I am not familiar with the area though. Also, another person I know is in BC. I have been unable to reach him. :/

I'm not too familiar with the area(having only visited on Google maps).

Hope your friend's okay.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Haha, while there are quite a few fires, it's not really an uncommon occurrence. It's relatively normal in summer when there's dry weather and lightening storms. The fire would never reach LMG headquarters, as if it got that close to major city centers the military would be mobilized to assist fire crews.

15 minutes ago, ryao said:

I was told by a ZoL project member that is currently in BC that the fires started within the past 24 hours.

Incorrect. Fires have been happening all summer long, as usually happens during the summer months.

7 minutes ago, ryao said:

Hat Creek Junction is a very, very far distance from the lower mainland. BC is a massive province. 944,000 square kilometers. The whole top half could be on fire and you'd still have tons of space between it and the more populated centers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Incorrect. Fires have been happening all summer long, as usually happens during the summer months.

That would be more reassuring if I didn't see this map:

https://google.org/crisismap/google.com/2018-british-columbia-wildfires

The Canadian military has been deployed:

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/08/13/military-supplying-200-troops-to-help-mop-up-b-c-wildfires/

New Zealand is sending firefighters:

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/363432/nz-firefighters-dispatched-to-battle-raging-canadian-wildfires

Does this happen all the time over there?

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Hat Creek Junction is a very, very far distance from the lower mainland. BC is a massive province. 944,000 square kilometers. The whole top half could be on fire and you'd still have tons of space between it and the more populated centers.

The person I know over there is a few hours away from LMG, so he would tell me about stuff close to him. That doesn't mean that the fire is only there.

1 hour ago, ryao said:

That would be more reassuring if I didn't see this map:

The Canadian military has been deployed:

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/08/13/military-supplying-200-troops-to-help-mop-up-b-c-wildfires/

New Zealand is sending firefighters:

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/363432/nz-firefighters-dispatched-to-battle-raging-canadian-wildfires

Does this happen all the time over there?

The person I know over there is a few hours away from LMG, so he would tell me about stuff close to him. That doesn't mean that the fire is only there.

If you click on the individual markers, you'll notice that a large number of them are quite small; several are under 0.1 of a hectare.

Yes, this is common. Has been for hundreds of years.

For example, last year BC spent over $500 million on fire suppression. So far this year they've only spent just under $200 million.

You also need to realize that large portions of BC are forest, and mountains. Thus a lot of these fires are just left to burn since it's incredibly hard to gain access to fight them, and they're not threatening populated areas.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

A huge fire directly threatening a major city would make the top spot in international news. 

Vancouver metro area is pretty good size, and if the core of the city was put at risk from fire you can bet the Canadian government would pull no punches in fighting it. LMG is fine.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

The fires are happening quite a bit away from where they are located.
At least 81 km to the nearest fire at Nanaimo Lakes(120HA)... and that's a relatively small one compared to the massive fires happening in Juliet Creek(817HA) near Hells Gate (seriously... there's a place named Hells Gate... and there's a large fire near it...), which is around 130 km away from LMG. I'm not counting the one on Vancouver Island.... Because... There's a large body of water called the Strait of Georgia in-between.

So really, it's just the air quality that's bad
https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=502e07f00e9a76b0&hl=en
As long as they stay indoor and avoid strenuous exercises, they'll be just fine.
Worst case, I'm sure they can get respirators. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

If the fires were a serious threat to Vancouver you'd have heard about it

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

48 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

If the fires were a serious threat to Vancouver you'd have heard about it

I am in the US. Here, we only hear about Canada in the news if the president mentions it. It is like the country does not otherwise exist as far as the news is concerned. The entire country of Canada could burn to the ground and I doubt the news here would mention it. :/

No fires near the city. But the air quality is pretty crap. And looks like we are in a constant fog.

i live in bc they're fine they barely even have smoke in the gvrd

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

44 minutes ago, NovaNightmare said:

Looks like Western Canadia is located in hell right now. Wow.

western canadia.jpg

Well at least we know why the snow is only in the upper right. It melted on the bottom left from the fire. 

5 hours ago, ryao said:

@LinusTech I understand that British Columbia is on fire. Are you alright?

They live in the Vancouver/Surrey area - they are quite safe from the forest fires.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, ryao said:

@LinusTech I understand that British Columbia is on fire. Are you alright?

As others have mentioned, they are in the middle of Vancouver are they not? So wouldn't half the city have burned down by the time their office was on fire?

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

I work just down the street from LMG.

We're fine.  Thick haze/smoke just rolled in a couple days ago so the air quality is pretty bad, we can barely see the mountains which are usually crystal clear.   The fire risk here is very low though.  Most of the fires are east/north of us in the interior where there is a lot more forest area.

Guess they should have installed the firepole after all /s

Good to know they and everyone in the aproximate area is good

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25