Windows drops the ball on Threadripper 2 performance

rcmaehl

what did you expect from the kernel that has this benevolent dictator lashing out on whoever tries to fuck up anything in his precious project:

Shut up, Mauro. And I don't _ever_ want to hear that kind of obvious garbage and idiocy from a kernel maintainer again. Seriously. I'd wait for Rafael's patch to go through you, but I have another error report in my mailbox of all KDE media applications being broken by v3.8-rc1, and I bet it's the same kernel bug. And you've shown yourself to not be competent in this issue, so I'll apply it directly and immediately myself. WE DO NOT BREAK USERSPACE! Seriously. How hard is this rule to understand? We particularly don't break user space with TOTAL CRAP. I'm angry, because your whole email was so _horribly_ wrong, and the patch that broke things was so obviously crap. ... The fact that you then try to make *excuses* for breaking user space, and blaming some external program that *used* to work, is just shameful. It's not how we work

source: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/23/75

could you imagine if MS had the balls to fire anyone who thinks it's a good idea to release an update that breaks everything else in a system? instead they prefer to keep the spaghetti code they currently have

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Windows Pro definitely was not configured for NUMA environments, hopefully the benchmarks for Windows Server will show better, however time will tell. In the mean time I know at least a few people glad to here this news.

Windows 10 can handle NUMA the issues is in traditional NUMA each NUMA zone actually has memory which is what Windows is working off of, same for Windows Server so you won't see a difference. Linux kernel has more than likely updated to handle this specific NUMA case, no doubt by AMD as they have people employed for that.

Run the same benchmarks on a much older kernel, that would be interesting to see.

Edit:

Most of my testing in preparation for launch-day was with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS x86_64 while upgrading to the Linux 4.19 kernel.

Windows 10 has shit scheduling compared to Linux. So no surprise there.

3 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

So, pretty much any modern computer workload.

Gaming is just now climbing out of the dual thread dark ages and should not be considered modern by any stretch of the imagination.  I mean... I can still play most games on 10 year old hardware.

10 year old hardware being Core 2 Quads, which can be overclocked to match the Ryzen 3 1200....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Windows 10 Pro supports multiple physical processors which suggests it's NUMA aware (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/windows-10-versions-cpu-limits/905c24ad-ad54-4122-b730-b9e7519c823f?auth=1) However it's likely that since Threadripper is for all intents and purposes a single processor, Windows may think the system itself isn't NUMA enabled.

And call me fanboyish or whatever, but Phoronix is a Linux biased website so I wouldn't put it past them to not dive deep in Windows performance. Unless they do when it matters, then I stand corrected.

2990WX only supports UMA mode, 2950X supports NUMA and UMA modes so yes Windows would see it as 1 NUMA node.

-= Locked =-

As mentioned this has been previously posted.

Please visit to continue discussion;

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER