Rumor: Intel has 14nm+++ CPUs on the way

Well, this is a little random, but it's from a legitimate source, so...

https://twitter.com/Ashraf__Eassa/status/1029339603713581056

I am told by Intel that Cascade Lake has "process enhancements beyond 14nm++ as well as design and architectural changes." This tells me that Cascade Lake-X in 2Q 2019 will be a monster clocker.

And thus the fabled Intel 14nm process gets another + after it. That makes 14nm+++. There was a rumor late last year that Whiskey Lake, the lower power part, would be on 14nm+++, so it does look like there will be another improvement cycle to the 14nm node. 

Cascade Lake is the next server release from Intel. It was scheduled for 14nm++, the same node as Coffee Lake, but it appears it has gotten even further enhancements from that. Cascade Lake-X will replace the Skylake-X line. 

Edit: Lenovo comes in for the confirmation. https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/faqs/pc-life-faqs/intel-whiskey-lake-and-cascade-lake-processors/

My Thoughts:

For as much of a disaster that 10nm has been for Intel to get out the door, their 14nm node is the "Little Node That Could". Makes for a harsh comparison between 14nm, which is reaching Legendary status, and 10nm that still isn't out the door and 3 years late.

Edit 2:

It gets worse.

https://twitter.com/Ashraf__Eassa/status/1029440772213563393

Cooper Lake will be built on a 14nm that’s further enhanced from what’s being used in Cascade Lake. So, I guess, 14++++

All of the jokes about the + on the end of 14nm are going to get worse.

Oh, and apparently X599 is going to be the A-series (the up to 28-core server parts) chipset name. That one doesn't have a well-known source attached, but the chipset naming wars might be kicking off again in a few months.

8ABFD5F6-4EF7-44D2-B577-01B548CAEE34.jpeg.b552df836f05b8e9f3e6f8f69ca6b65d.jpeg

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

What does the "+" even mean? 

Higher density, better yields, higher quality, lower power consumption,...? 

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Oh, and apparently X599 is going to be the A-series (the up to 28-core server parts) chipset name. That one doesn't have a well-known source attached, but the chipset naming wars might be kicking off again in a few months.

will it have the bigger socket?

and will all x599 use the big socket?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Meanwhile TSMC has their 7nm out (intel 10nm equivalent).  If AMD ditches  Glofo and goes full TSMC, the I am going to have to say goodbye to intel and its been a good 13 years that I swore to only use their products.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

will it have the bigger socket?

and will all x599 use the big socket?

It's the LGA3459 socket parts. They'll be called the A-Series, and, apparently, X599 is the name of the chipset/motherboard. The X599 part is running around the rumor mill, but I can't nail down its origin. 

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

So all the jokers who were going "can't wait for 14nm++++++++" were right...

Pretty much.

1 minute ago, xentropa said:

Meanwhile TSMC has their 7nm out (intel 10nm equivalent).  If AMD ditches  Glofo and goes full TSMC, the I am going to have to say goodbye to intel and its been a good 13 years that I swore to only use their products.

AMD will use both. AMD's agreements with GloFo means they'll producing at least most of their GPUs and APUs on their nodes for now.

Is the A-Series going to replace the HEDT/Extreme Edition line or is it another series entirely?

(Seeing that they are stepping a bit on their HEDT chipset naming scheme)

Just now, Warrie said:

Is the A-Series going to replace the HEDT/Extreme Edition line or is it another series entirely?

X-series is up to 18 cores on HEDT. A-Series should be 20 to 28 cores for HEDT. It's a level above the X-series.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

X-series is up to 18 cores on HEDT. A-Series should be 20 to 28 cores for HEDT. It's a level above the X-series.

Bloody high core count! :P

Can't wait to see what Intel will bring to the table with Coffee Lake-X.

Just now, Warrie said:

Bloody high core count! :P

Can't wait to see what Intel will bring to the table with Coffee Lake-X.

Probably 20 cores, but likely about 15% lower power draw in the 4 Ghz all-core range. Skylake-X is on the 14nm+ process node, I believe, which can clock into the high 4 Ghz range but eats a lot of power there.

7 minutes ago, xentropa said:

Swearing to brand loyalty for all time seems a bit silly, since the industry doesn't stay one way forever. What if you needed a heavily multithreaded processor? :)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It's the LGA3459 socket parts. They'll be called the A-Series, and, apparently, X599 is the name of the chipset/motherboard. The X599 part is running around the rumor mill, but I can't nail down its origin. 

Here come the BIG sockets, say goodbye to ITX HEDT.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Too bad most applications still rely on less than 4 threads. Especially non-AAA games.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, The Benjamins said:

The A-Series leaves the realm of "High-End Desktop" to "smallest box we could shove a server into". SBWCSASI doesn't work quite as well.

Maybe, "Please buy our spare SP dies we couldn't sell because the TCO is pretty bad."

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Now coming to pico-itx, intel's highest end xeon! Enjoy the chocolate chip sized graphics card that goes in this form factor, as well as the superb lack of fan headers. Maybe you'll have room for internal storage, maybe not.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Too bad most applications still rely on less than 4 threads.

More core is the way forward. It's up to the software developers to design their softwares capable of utilizing more than 4 threads.

Just now, Deli said:

More cores is the way forward. It's up to the software developers to design their softwares capable of utilizing more than 4 threads.

First, we need to get Windows to handle it. This is the 3rd time we'll get Windows Scheduler updates and a round of program updates for professional use to handle the different Topology of AMD's parts. In the last year.

3 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Too bad most applications still rely on less than 4 threads. Especially non-AAA games.

Then it’s going to suck to be Intel being forced to respond and dumping all this money into figuring out how to make their chips more like AMDs. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Oh good so Intel is finally slowly accepting they gonna be stuck on nodes forever now. More pluses is more better

Just waiting to see this come true.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

6 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Oh good so Intel is finally slowly accepting they gonna be stuck on nodes forever now. More pluses is more better

Just waiting to see this come true.

Seems like GAAFet is where we're likely to get stuck for a while in the 3nm node space.

38 minutes ago, WereCat said:

What does the "+" even mean? 

Higher density, better yields, higher quality, lower power consumption,...? 

It means nothing new yet guys but heres something that looks like progress

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido