Automated File Backup

Snotrap

Hey!

I’ve started a website and a couple game servers. 

I was wondering how I would be able to set something up to back it up into a different location say every 5 minutes. 

For example I just copy paste the files into a backup folder on a seperate hard drive. 

I’ve seen this done on OSX before just don’t know how to do it. 

Any help is is much appreciated!

(I’m assuming I could probably just make a batch file copying and pasting it every x amount of time?)

My Machines:

I know. I need to update this. And I will. Eventually. 

use cron if linux

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

What are the operating systems on the servers you are using?

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

3 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

What are the operating systems on the servers you are using?

Isn’t prefer to use Windows 7/10 

but I am familiar with Linux, especially Kali and Ubuntu. I know I can create a script easily with Linux using the same method used here (

Sorry I should’ve included I was using Windows. 

My Machines:

I know. I need to update this. And I will. Eventually. 

Just now, Snotrap said:

Isn’t prefer to use Windows 7/10 

but I am familiar with Linux, especially Kali and Ubuntu. I know I can create a script easily with Linux using the same method used here (

Sorry I should’ve included I was using Windows. 

If you are familiar with Linux, have a look at Bareos https://www.bareos.com/en/

It's open source and can be used to backup Linux/Windows/BSD etc, should be suitable for your needs.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

I do not recommend automated backups. The big problem with them is the backups have to be made to a drive that is connected to or installed in the computer at all times. If the computer should become infected with viruses or other malware, the backup will also become infected. If you accidentally delete data, the backup will also have the data delete (unless you have some kind of versioning in place). For a backup to be a true, reassonably safe backup, it must be on a drive that is kept disconnected from the computer and powered down at all time except whe updating the backup. It is also wise to keep more than one backup. This usually means one kept onsite and another one kept offsite.

I can understand the desire to have frequent backups done automatically. One exception to what I said earlier would be to use a good, paid cloud backup service (not cloud storage, especially not the freebies; they are unsafe). I recommend Backblaze with Carbonite in second place. These services have antimalware systems in place that is far more robust than anything yiu will be likely to have to keep malware from infecting your data. They also have multiple backup generators, armed guards, etc. to protect your data.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

i use webmin for all my servers, its a powerful but free server management console much like cpanel but free.

it has a build in cron management tools that can backup to local or remote servers.

you can set it up multiple schedule like daily and weekly backups at the same time.

http://www.webmin.com/

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I just heard of Syncthing through Lawrence Systems YouTube Channel.  Im watching the video now to see how it works, but based on his contenet if it works for him, its good enough for me.