High ping on FORTNITE!

AddictedGamer261

I've been playing this game from around a month now and I did not experience any issues with the ping. A week ago I just experienced a lot of lag in a match and I knew it was a ping problem so I turned on the ping overlay. It was above 300 ms at that time (I don't know how much it used to be before) but I thought that it might be a temporary problem. All this week I've been trying to play at 200-350 ms ping and today, when I did the speedtest, my ping was 30ms only. I live in India and I play on a decent enough gaming pc with an Ethernet connection. I've selected my servers at auto which automatically selects the server with the lowest ping(Usually, it is Asia for me). I've sent a complaint to epic games as well but there is no response as of now. If anybody knows anything about what is causing this issue and how I can fix this, you are most welcome.

You can't fix ping. Ping is calculated by how far away you are from the game server. The only way to fix it is to move closer to the server or wait for a server to be near you.

hi.

Ping also depend on your internet speed. Check you speed.

There are several site that can check it.

What is your download speed.?

Just now, AskTJ said:

You can't fix ping. Ping is calculated by how far away you are from the game server. The only way to fix it is to move closer to the server or wait for a server to be near you.

Then how did it used to be Okay before?

Oops did not see the speed test at 12.

You may have a bad connection, Call your ISP

2 minutes ago, AddictedGamer261 said:

at this website it was 12mbps but my isp says it is 20

Sorry only saw the 12 now. You may have a bad connection. Talk to your ISP

12/20 is not good  almost 50%

Just now, Zmax said:

Sorry only saw the 12 now. You may have a bad connection. Talk to your ISP

are you sure that it depends on download speed? My ping on that site was 30 but in fortnite, it is 300+

There are several factor for the Bad ping or Latency , You can start with the speed, location of sever ...

Since you did have a good game in the past, I would see if a speed improvement will affect it.

44 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Ping also depend on your internet speed. Check you speed.

That's not true, unless something is bottlenecking the network (for example if router is being overloaded with large amounts of traffic that it can not handle), then it takes longer for the packet to reach from point A to point B. Otherwise, bandwidth does not affect latency.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Just now, jj9987 said:

That's not true, unless something is bottlenecking the network (for example if router is being overloaded with large amounts of traffic that it can not handle), then it takes longer for the packet to reach from point A to point B. Otherwise, bandwidth does not affect latency.

I've only one mobile connected to my wif i(except for my pc). Can it cause enough traffic?

19 hours ago, AddictedGamer261 said:

I've only one mobile connected to my wif i(except for my pc). Can it cause enough traffic?

I don't think this is issue of your end. As you get good results from Speedtest which selects closest server to you. If you would get bad ping to that too, then it would be more likely local issue. I think that Fortnite is choosing less crowded server for you and that happens to be farther from you than previous ones. If the selection is only region like Asia, this would mean Korea or Japan, with Japan giving you worse ping. Maybe even Oceania aka Australia, but I doubt it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 hours ago, AddictedGamer261 said:

are you sure that it depends on download speed? My ping on that site was 30 but in fortnite, it is 300+

SpeedTest pings your ISP server, which is probably way closer to you than the closest Fortnite server, therefore will be way shorter. Anyway, 300ms+ is excessive.
Where do you live? are you trying to play with people from other countries? I don't know if there's an option to set region inside the game, if so - try to set it to the exact region you live in. 

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB 

Just now, Combustible Lemon said:

SpeedTest pings your ISP server, which is probably way closer to you than the closest Fortnite server, therefore will be way shorter. Anyway, 300ms+ is excessive.
Where do you live? are you trying to play with people from other countries? I don't know if there's an option to set region inside the game, if so - try to set it to the exact region you live in. 

I live in India(Specifically the westernmost side) and I am getting 300+ ping in solos(Every other game mode as well) and I've set my ping to auto and it sets it to Asia most of the times (The default ping shown next to the server is higher than 200). Today I was playing Playgrounds and my ping got up to 1000 ms for once and then got steady at 700. If there is anything that I can do to fix this, please tell me as I've not been able to play properly for so long and when I see 25-50 ms ping in others' videos, I almost CRY.

22 hours ago, Combustible Lemon said:

SpeedTest pings your ISP server,...

It doesn't, it pings server to where ping is ~10ms or close to that. You can manually select other servers where ping would be lower or higher.

22 hours ago, AddictedGamer261 said:

I live in India(Specifically the westernmost side) and I am getting 300+ ping in solos(Every other game mode as well) and I've set my ping to auto and it sets it to Asia most of the times (The default ping shown next to the server is higher than 200). Today I was playing Playgrounds and my ping got up to 1000 ms for once and then got steady at 700. If there is anything that I can do to fix this, please tell me as I've not been able to play properly for so long and when I see 25-50 ms ping in others' videos, I almost CRY.

There isn't as this isn't about your connection. Its issue where Epic's server locations are too far apart. You can only wait until they open another server closer to you, maybe even in India. There's list I found when I was searching where the servers actually are located showing some possibly upcoming locations. One of them is Mumbai which would fix your high ping issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

It doesn't, it pings server to where ping is ~10ms or close to that. You can manually select other servers where ping would be lower or higher.

At least in my country, all the servers that SpeedTest ping are ISP servers or subsidiary of ISP. According to this list: https://www.speedtestserver.com/

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB 

19 minutes ago, Combustible Lemon said:

At least in my country, all the servers that SpeedTest ping are ISP servers or subsidiary of ISP. According to this list: https://www.speedtestserver.com/

Could be. I connect to another ISPs server with this connection. Few previous ones have connected to cloud storage providers server. Most are ISP, that is true. But its not your own ISP necessarily.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv