Asus Router Problem Setting Up VPN Server (OpenVPN)

KuroiRiku

Hello, I've just received a new Router From Asus ( ASUS RT-AC86U ) and I'm planning to use the router VPN Server to set up an OpenVPN, I connected the router to the router that my ISP provide ( HUAWEI HG8245H ), the problem is when I tried to set up the VPN or DDNS there's this notice "The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.

This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment."

The FAQ that the router provide says that I need to set up the VPN with port forwading, can anyone help me with setting this up? 

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033906

asus.png

EDIT: Scratch what I said in the first place, I didn't read properly first.

First, get rid of dual NAT. Dual-NAT can bring all kinds of issues, starting with latency and ending with packet loss/connectivity issues.

Why do you have two routers in the first place? If you want Asus to do OpenVPN and/or WiFi, you need to stop the Asus router from doing NAT and DHCP and set it up in Access Point mode. Then you need to configure port 1194 UDP or TCP (depending on which you set for the VPN) to be sent from the Huawei router to the Asus with port forwarding. This implies, that you have administrator access to the router.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Yep, what @jj9987 says is correct. You should only have one router, and in this case, that should be the ISP provided one. Setup the Asus router as an access point and don't forget to set a static IP on the LAN ports so you can still manage it later. Connect it LAN-to-LAN when you're done. Don't connect the ISP router to the WAN port of the Asus. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, jj9987 said:

EDIT: Scratch what I said in the first place, I didn't read properly first.

First, get rid of dual NAT. Dual-NAT can bring all kinds of issues, starting with latency and ending with packet loss/connectivity issues.

Why do you have two routers in the first place? If you want Asus to do OpenVPN and/or WiFi, you need to stop the Asus router from doing NAT and DHCP and set it up in Access Point mode. Then you need to configure port 1194 UDP or TCP (depending on which you set for the VPN) to be sent from the Huawei router to the Asus with port forwarding. This implies, that you have administrator access to the router.

The HUAWEI HG8245H also function as Modem where the Fiber Cable plugged in, The Asus router can't replace the HUAWEI as a Modem that's why I have to plug it in to the HUAWEI, I tried making the Asus router as Access Point then the WAN VPN settings are gone, I think it only works if the Asus is in Router Mode

same as this guy

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/can-i-setup-ac66u-to-be-vpn-server-while-in-access-point-mode.11893/

I need to use the VPN Server Setting from the Asus Router and also the DDNS that they provide

Screenshot_73.png

Screenshot_74.png

Screenshot_75.png

If you put the HUAWEI HG8245H in modem mode, it will allow the public IP to be present on the Asus router.  That will fix your double-nat issues and have the router in the correct configuration.

When the HG8245H is in modem mode it will act like a bridge and simply pass the external IP address directly to the Asus router.  This should allow you to configure the OpenVPN as you require it.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

2 hours ago, KuroiRiku said:

The HUAWEI HG8245H also function as Modem where the Fiber Cable plugged in, The Asus router can't replace the HUAWEI as a Modem that's why I have to plug it in to the HUAWEI, I tried making the Asus router as Access Point then the WAN VPN settings are gone, I think it only works if the Asus is in Router Mode

same as this guy

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/can-i-setup-ac66u-to-be-vpn-server-while-in-access-point-mode.11893/

I need to use the VPN Server Setting from the Asus Router and also the DDNS that they provide

First, it's a GPON, not a modem. Modem is used for DSL, DOCSIS and maybe some other connections.

If that's the case, you can risk going dual-NAT or just set up your own VPN on a computer (Raspberry Pi for example) and do port forwarding to that. There's plenty of tutorials out there. You can also set up DDNS on a Raspberry Pi.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

12 hours ago, Falconevo said:

If you put the HUAWEI HG8245H in modem mode, it will allow the public IP to be present on the Asus router.  That will fix your double-nat issues and have the router in the correct configuration.

When the HG8245H is in modem mode it will act like a bridge and simply pass the external IP address directly to the Asus router.  This should allow you to configure the OpenVPN as you require it.

Yes I'm planning to try it as well, One Question Right now the HUAWEI HG8245H is Connected to Mikrotik Client for Server Access via PPTP, and we Connected the Router to switch hub so all the PC can Access Our Server PC Via Mikrotik Client, If I change the HUAWEI HG8245H to Modem Mode will the Mikrotik still work? 

9 hours ago, KuroiRiku said:

Yes I'm planning to try it as well, One Question Right now the HUAWEI HG8245H is Connected to Mikrotik Client for Server Access via PPTP, and we Connected the Router to switch hub so all the PC can Access Our Server PC Via Mikrotik Client, If I change the HUAWEI HG8245H to Modem Mode will the Mikrotik still work? 

The Mikrotik simply needs moving to the Asus, the config shouldn't change but you may need to set the internal IP range/subnet of the Asus the same as the previous Huawei router was set.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

22 hours ago, Falconevo said:

The Mikrotik simply needs moving to the Asus, the config shouldn't change but you may need to set the internal IP range/subnet of the Asus the same as the previous Huawei router was set.

Big Thanks, I will try setting it up right away xD