Monitor "Black Level" Help

Sineater

I have 3 identical LG 25" monitors (I don't wanna take them off the arm mount to get the model numbers), and I have a minor inconvenience that happens several times a day. There is a setting on the monitor under picture settings called "Black level", and when its set from low to high, its terrible. Every time I open some programs (xbox app, xbox game dvr, Movies&TV, groove music, etc) it sets the level back to high, which makes everything all grey and hazy. When this happens. I have to go to the minor settings> display> picture> black level> and set it back to low. Its very annoying being that I have online school and engineering programs, and am on my pc all day and have to deal with this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry for typing so much... I do that a lot. 

Here is a pic as an example. The top is low black level (what i want) and the bottom is the high black level. Image result for display black level

57 minutes ago, Rev Games said:

I have 3 identical LG 25" monitors (I don't wanna take them off the arm mount to get the model numbers), and I have a minor inconvenience that happens several times a day. There is a setting on the monitor under picture settings called "Black level", and when its set from low to high, its terrible. Every time I open some programs (xbox app, xbox game dvr, Movies&TV, groove music, etc) it sets the level back to high, which makes everything all grey and hazy. When this happens. I have to go to the minor settings> display> picture> black level> and set it back to low. Its very annoying being that I have online school and engineering programs, and am on my pc all day and have to deal with this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry for typing so much... I do that a lot. 

Here is a pic as an example. The top is low black level (what i want) and the bottom is the high black level. 

If there is an option on the monitor called DDC/CI, disabling that may prevent it from changing settings based on actions done on the computer. If so, the monitor may also have to be reset (disconnected from power) for that setting change to take effect.

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

If there is an option on the monitor called DDC/DI, disabling that may prevent it from changing settings based on actions done on the computer. The monitor may have to be reset (disconnected from power) for the setting change to take effect.

theres not a setting for that. Theres one call "OSD lock" but it doesnt work,

• 6 months later...
On 8/14/2018 at 5:46 AM, Rev Games said:

Here is a pic as an example. The top is low black level (what i want) and the bottom is the high black level. Image result for display black level

I have the perfect solution you need for your monitor. My lg monitor had same washed out color since I purchased it. I thought it is normal but actually it's not.
So here's the solution I just found after a lot of research. 

Go to NVIDIA control panel > Change Resolution > Select Monitor > At the bottom Select "Use NVIDIA colour settings" > set "Output dynamic range" to "Full" 

image.png.728db15faf67892c9788f88bbf69859a.png
This way your gpu will be able to send all 0-255 colors, that is deepest black to brightest white over hdmi. 
Here's an article you can read about this in details - https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

20 hours ago, Rakesh Dey said:

I have the perfect solution you need for your monitor. My lg monitor had same washed out color since I purchased it. I thought it is normal but actually it's not.
So here's the solution I just found after a lot of research. 

Go to NVIDIA control panel > Change Resolution > Select Monitor > At the bottom Select "Use NVIDIA colour settings" > set "Output dynamic range" to "Full" 

This way your gpu will be able to send all 0-255 colors, that is deepest black to brightest white over hdmi. 
Here's an article you can read about this in details - https://pcmonitors.info/articles/correcting-hdmi-colour-on-nvidia-and-amd-gpus/

He's talking about the black level setting on the monitor being changed, it's not an issue with the GPU signal in this case.

• 3 years later...

Ab

On 2/23/2019 at 9:36 AM, Glenwing said:

He's talking about the black level setting on the monitor being changed, it's not an issue with the GPU signal in this case.

Absolutely it has to do with the GPU!
As he clearly explained, any action that requires the gpu to send a call to reset the monitor state, (Opening a full screen game, adding a monitor, turning on and off the computer, adjusting resolution) will cause the black level to be reset to high.

Every company refers to this setting a little differently.
On an nvidia GPU it is known as Dynamic Range, and you can resolve this issue on most monitors, by doing what REV GAMES explained.

37 minutes ago, sciengart said:

Ab

Absolutely it has to do with the GPU!
As he clearly explained, any action that requires the gpu to send a call to reset the monitor state, (Opening a full screen game, adding a monitor, turning on and off the computer, adjusting resolution) will cause the black level to be reset to high.

Every company refers to this setting a little differently.
On an nvidia GPU it is known as Dynamic Range, and you can resolve this issue on most monitors, by doing what REV GAMES explained.

He's talking about the black level setting on the monitor, not the output dynamic range setting in the NVIDIA control panel. The setting in the NVIDIA control panel called Output Dynamic Range controls the quantization range used in the input signal. The setting on the monitor controls how the display interprets the signal it receives. This is separate and is not controlled by the dynamic range setting in the NVIDIA control panel.

Look for a setting called DFC in your OSD and try disabling any "auto" features of the monitor.