5870 for mining?

I want to start learning about litecoin mining, and since I have a spare 5870 laying around, I might start mining in the very near future. Will it be worth the investment to build a system around this? I also have 4GB 1600 ram, a case, and power supply that are also collecting dust in my closet, so would it be worth it so get a mobo and cpu and mine? Does CPU power matter as much?

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate BF3 Edition | Razer Naga Molten

If you're mining with your gpu you can spend as little as you can on your cpu and mobo to just run your 5870. I'd calculate what your hashrate is and how much you pay for electricity first though using something like this: http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/litecoin-mining-calculator

Idk what my hashrate would be, and how would I know what the other options are? (Power (Watts), Power Cost ($/kWh), Pool Fees %, Difficulty, Block Reward, Exchange Rate)

Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz | EVGA 780Ti Classified | ASUS Gryphon Z87 w/ Armor Kit | G.Skill Sniper 8GB @1866MHz

Samsung 840 Evo 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Kingwin Lazer 850W Bronze PSU | Corsair 350D Window

I do not think it would be. I have been mining with a 6870 for just over a month and it broke $100 USD today, not really all that much, and it is making less and less everyday. I would suggest against getting into litecoin mining if you do not already have a system laying idle, like mine.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

I do not think it would be. I have been mining with a 6870 for just over a month and it broke $100 USD today, not really all that much, and it is making less and less everyday. I would suggest against getting into litecoin mining if you do not already have a system laying idle, like mine.

but I do have most of the parts laying around, and if I get a cheap cpu and mobo with xmas money, thats really only profit, no matter how little it is, but if the rate is so low right now im not sure

Idk what my hashrate would be, and how would I know what the other options are? (Power (Watts), Power Cost ($/kWh), Pool Fees %, Difficulty, Block Reward, Exchange Rate)

https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison/raw_data Find your hash rate there, it's only an estimate as not all cards are the same

Power in Watts is the total power your system draws (pretty much half of what your cpu's power draw is, say it's 65W it'll be about 32, and all of what it would be for your 6850 which is let's say 130W, add those together and throw it in)

Power cost is how much you pay per kiloWatt an hour, it varies between people

Pool fees are how much you pay as reward to a pool once a block is mined

Difficulty and exchange rate are left as they are

but I do have most of the parts laying around, and if I get a cheap cpu and mobo with xmas money, thats really only profit, no matter how little it is, but if the rate is so low right now im not sure

Depending on the which 5870, here is the hashrates: https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison

You can calculate how much you are making here: http://bitcoinwisdom.com/litecoin/calculator

If by any chance you have a junkie old machine/ friend getting rid of a crappy dell desktop, you could set the card to mining right away.

But if you spend 100 or more, on a cpu/mobo combo, and then power say $40 a month, you may not be making a lot of money for the inconvenience of having another card running. Since so many people are jumping on, the difficulty will only rise. You may be better off investing that money directly into litecoins/bitcoins. That way there is no paying itself off. You could buy around 4 litecoins with 100 and watch what it does. If you really want to make you machine mine than you can, but it might not be worth it for you.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

You guys, it gets 30% ish harder every two weeks to mine, right? you will probably only make like 30 cents a day if your electricity is over 14c per kwh. 

If you want to mine a crypto currency for fun, and want to make the most money you can, check this out. 
http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency

Also you can sell your 5870 very easily now because it is one of the best mh/w cards out there. And also for a lot more than you would expect. 

Also start mining lottocoin. relatively easy to mine right now. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

You guys, it gets 30% ish harder every two weeks to mine, right? you will probably only make like 30 cents a day if your electricity is over 14c per kwh. 

If you want to mine a crypto currency for fun, and want to make the most money you can, check this out. 

http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency

Also you can sell your 5870 very easily now because it is one of the best mh/w cards out there. And also for a lot more than you would expect. 

Also start mining lottocoin. relatively easy to mine right now. 

is lottocoin known enough to get bigger like litecoin is now? And I see that they say it is "the coin that's a game" so is it all random?

is lottocoin known enough to get bigger like litecoin is now? And I see that they say it is "the coin that's a game" so is it all random?

all alt coins can get big enough, but whatever i mine i just switch to ltc on cryptsy. Litecoin is better for investments because it follows btc (usually). If I see btc drop 40 bucks in a day, ill dump my ltc because they 85% of the time will drop a big margin as well. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

The 5870 is great for mining. It has the same hash rate (~400-450kH) as a 6950 and uses less power. CPU power is not important, You just need a cheap mobo and CPU. The CPU power is not important, I run a single core Sempron 140 in one of my rigs.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)